Big East Pondering Expansion

Harry

With the imminent downfall of the Big 12, Kansas and Kansas State look to be the favorites. However, in the unlikely event the Big 12 has any longevity many are hoping for purely basketball member Villanova to upgrade from the FCS and become a competitor in football. Many, also, have a pipe dream Notre Dame will start playing football, as they already play basketball in the Big East. UCF and Houston are also being eyed for expansion. Both schools would give the Big East a presence in a pair of major media markets, Houston and Orlando".

http://1340thefan.com/big-east-conference-pondering-expansion/

Win games in Denton. Take care of internal business. Win more games in Denton. Stop peering over the fences of other conferences. It's completely inconsequential because if they're not the WAC, they are not peering back until there are more wins in Denton.

I mostly agree with those statements except for the peering over the fences. Don't make it public but there has to be some posturing ourselves for our future. Maybe quietly, but keep our name before the conference leaders and members. But you're right on the wins. It matters little what you have done in the past it's what have you done for me today?

• Upvote 1

The reason why Arkansas got into the SEC is because they sell 65,000 home tickets and always sell alot of away tickets. At that time, the football stadium was in shambles....now its great.....on another note, if UCF and UH go to the Big Easy, does C-USA take UNT and La Tech?

I would take Memphis over UCF...I wouldn't think USF would want UCF in the same conference. Reminds you of SMWho, right? GO MEAN GREEN !!!!

Win games in Denton. Take care of internal business. Win more games in Denton. Stop peering over the fences of other conferences. It's completely inconsequential because if they're not the WAC, they are not peering back until there are more wins in Denton.

You are very wrong, UTEP one of the worst football programs in the NCAA was chosen over NT for CUSA and it was certainly not about winning. Winning at football will help, but public perception and potential are both bigger factors. NT is a huge school in the 5th largest media market in the nation and has recently shown a very impressible dedication to athletics. Politics by member schools may keep NT out of CUSA forever, but other opportunities will evolve. I can't think of any team in the Belt, MAC or new WAC that is a better choice right now, leaving geography out of the equation. Winning will be icing on the cake but stellar attendance numbers might be even more important.

You are right obsessing over conference possibilities does nothing but it is the off season favorite topic. NT is finally doing the things to help them both win and be more attractive for opportunities.

• Upvote 1

You are very wrong, UTEP one of the worst football programs in the NCAA was chosen over NT for CUSA and it was certainly not about winning. Winning at football will help, but public perception and potential are both bigger factors. NT is a huge school in the 5th largest media market in the nation and has recently shown a very impressible dedication to athletics. Politics by member schools may keep NT out of CUSA forever, but other opportunities will evolve. I can't think of any team in the Belt, MAC or new WAC that is a better choice right now, leaving geography out of the equation. Winning will be icing on the cake but stellar attendance numbers might be even more important.

You are right obsessing over conference possibilities does nothing but it is the off season favorite topic. NT is finally doing the things to help them both win and be more attractive for opportunities.

The university has shown a committment to athletics, sadly the alumni have not. MGC membership, although improving, is nowhere near where it needs to be for other conferences to take us seriously.

Until the alumni buy in, we will always be a bridesmaid.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't characterize UTEP as the worst or one of the worst NCAA football programs, however, it has to be one of the worst college football markets. Los Mexicanos like their futbol and tacos; the fine people of El Chuco (aka El Paso) seem supportive, but only if they have a connection to the school... at least that's my feeling when I have matches against my archnemesis, El Mistico Azul, at El Paso County Coliseum...

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't characterize UTEP as the worst or one of the worst NCAA football programs, however, it has to be one of the worst college football markets. Los Mexicanos like their futbol and tacos; the fine people of El Chuco (aka El Paso) seem supportive, but only if they have a connection to the school... at least that's my feeling when I have matches against my archnemesis, El Mistico Azul, at El Paso County Coliseum...

All must fear... El Mistico Azul.

11352571_6ed7907bc5.jpg

Look up their historical record, one of the worse. As far as their market, their football attendance is what gave them a big one up on NT. Not a whole lot of competition in El Paso. IMO their better attendance plus the other Texas CUSA members didn't conceive them as a big a threat to them because of UTEP remoteness were why they were selected over NT.

Look up their historical record, one of the worse. As far as their market, their football attendance is what gave them a big one up on NT. Not a whole lot of competition in El Paso. IMO their better attendance plus the other Texas CUSA members didn't conceive them as a big a threat to them because of UTEP remoteness were why they were selected over NT.

And the fact that we played in a middle school stadium at the time... probably mostly because we played in a middle school stadium at the time, with a dash of poor alumni support.

• Upvote 1

El Mistico Azul appears to be procreating. Is this a bad thing? :unsure:

I say "YES". He will dissipate his powers and end up losing if he continues that practice. Abstinence!!

You're absolutely right. Winning is completely unrelated to public perception and potential, nor does it impact attendance numbers to any degree.

You're absolutely right. Winning is completely unrelated to public perception and potential, nor does it impact attendance numbers to any degree.

If you recall the response was made to counter the idea that NT could forget about upgrading conference affiliation until they start winning. Your passionate and totally off the mark response seemed to miss that point, as I never indicated that winning was not very important. The point was that NT should be doing everything they can to upgrade conferences and not remain passive till they start winning.

• Upvote 1

If you recall the response was made to counter the idea that NT could forget about upgrading conference affiliation until they start winning. Your passionate and totally off the mark response seemed to miss that point, as I never indicated that winning was not very important. The point was that NT should be doing everything they can to upgrade conferences and not remain passive till they start winning.

I gather your sarcasm detector is in working order, but the style doesn't go over well with you.

I think we both agree on the general idea that all these things - winning, attendance, perception - go hand in hand.

Let me clarify my stance: I tire of seeing marketing and advertising efforts go down the toilet because administrations think winning can afford to take a back seat. Our best crowds in history were under either terrible administrations, or under a coach with a penchant for pissing off fans. Why? Because the team was winning. So, it is in that specific regard I respectfully disagree with what you said: winning is the most important thing for UNT. Only now do we have all the other important pieces in place to carry the momentum: a coach that sells, the venue, more money, better admin...

I agree with looking out for opportunity, but I want us in a position where we are not having to make the phone call. Considering our size, market location, new venues, etc...I like to think UNT can be the one receiving the call, rather than dialing.