Appears That USA Will Play here In 2012

MeanGreen61

The as said to have 8 games with Belt teams during their transition in 2012. Checked their site and they they have a game @ North Texas listed.

http://www.usajaguars.com/documents/2011/7/25/fb-future_opponents.pdf?id=1112

Good to see. Not saying USA is some slouch team that we will roll over (sure hope so) but I'd like to see our team mix more of these games in. I realize this game is scheduled due to their transition but I think we have another FCS game the same season correct? I think its important to mix it in with Alabama and LSU but these games (hopefully) build confidence that will, I believe, improve our performance against the "bigger" universities.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Good to see. Not saying USA is some slouch team that we will roll over (sure hope so) but I'd like to see our team mix more of these games in. I realize this game is scheduled due to their transition but I think we have another FCS game the same season correct? I think its important to mix it in with Alabama and LSU but these games (hopefully) build confidence that will, I believe, improve our performance against the "bigger" universities.

We didn't build our new stadium so we could schedule FCS teams. Our schedule next year is a nightmare right now. The only good thing is that it seems we got out of one body bag game and will at least have 6 home games. That being said, it's going to be tough to pack the stadium when we're playing Texas Southern and USA. Not many fringe fans will pay money to come watch us play pushovers.

Sure, we might win these games, but for us to move up in the world of college football we have to get quality opponents in our house and beat them. No one will give a flip if we beat no name FCS teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sure, we might win these games, but for us to move up in the world of college football we have to get quality opponents in our house and beat them. No one will give a flip if we beat no name FCS teams.

But it will make news if we lose.

A no-win proposition for this program at this point in time. No FCS opponents for at least 5 years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

But it will make news if we lose.

A no-win proposition for this program at this point in time. No FCS opponents for at least 5 years.

The only FCS team we'll be playing is TSU. The USA game will be a conference game similar to when WKU moved up. I think we'll be fine in both of these games and I actually look forward to NOT being the punching bag for once.

• Upvote 2

The only FCS team we'll be playing is TSU. The USA game will be a conference game similar to when WKU moved up. I think we'll be fine in both of these games and I actually look forward to NOT being the punching bag for once.

We will be lucky to have 15K at either of those games next year.

• Downvote 5

We didn't build our new stadium so we could schedule FCS teams. Our schedule next year is a nightmare right now. The only good thing is that it seems we got out of one body bag game and will at least have 6 home games. That being said, it's going to be tough to pack the stadium when we're playing Texas Southern and USA. Not many fringe fans will pay money to come watch us play pushovers.

I'm not advocating that scheduling weaker teams is the way to go and we need to dump bringing Kstate etc here. I am however saying I think its important to have a higher confidence level than we have in the past. I think getting blown out at OU for example at the beginning of the season hurts the rest of our season. BUT I think if you were to play the weaker teams at the beginning instead we would go into the OU game with a better performance and confidence level. Take last year for example. We were losing etc etc etc dodge is fired, canales takes over, we beat western and midd tenn, played other games well (besides ULM) and then went into Kstate game with a belief we could win and look how we competed in comparison to previous years and ooc opponents. Don't get me wrong, I think Dmac will have us much more prepared than Dodge or even Canales and that's really what matters but don't believe for a second that previous winning doesn't help.

Edited by Green2012
  • Upvote 2

We will be lucky to have 15K at either of those games next year.

My four tickets will go to someone else for any FCS opponents...or maybe go unused.

• Downvote 5

Wholeheartely agree...I don't think our North Texas students who voted for our stadium referendum intended for us to just keep scheduling the same way we did at Fouts Field.

If we could get Kansas State, SMU, Baylor, Oregon State, TCU, Florida State, San Diego State, UH, Rice, Vanderbilt, etc, scheduled into Fouts Field, why do we want to dummy down our program even more with our already playing a season of SBC opponents by bringing in even lesser known OOC programs into the new Mean Green Stadium? Knowing many of our alums hot sports opinions through the decades when it involves Mean Green football, I don't think that scheduling M.O. is going to play well with most of them for too long, either.

I have relatives all throughout Alabama (my late mother born near Birmingham) but for the life of me, I don't get near as excited about a school most know absolutely nothing about, yet Wright Waters seems to get leg tingles to the extent that he is calling U of S. Alabama the next Boise State. (Please, please, please, Commish' Craig Thompson, save us from the next 25 years of even more empty wishin' and hopin'). :bow:

Food For Thought: Can you only imagine where our program would be using the last 15 years as our measuring stick of success if we were still using Fouts Field as our football stadium? Can a new stadium takes stripes off of some zebras work ethics?

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich......You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong......You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down......You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred......You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence......You cannot help men permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." Abraham Lincoln

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I like USA.... they are one of the better FCS schools to go FBS in a while... I would rather see Texas St. here but in the long run they will bring legitimacy to the Belt, which we will be winning. They have the largest stadium currently in the Sunbelt. They will weaken Troy. Hell atleast they have a cool name. Id rather see Southern Alabama Jaguars than Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks, or Middle Tennesee Blue Raiders! They led the Sunbelt in attendance last year. They are a solid add for the league and i will be at that game.

And i agree about scheduling.... as we settle into the new stadium, we need to schedule winnable OOC with maybe just one money game later in the season. The Sunbelt is improving so conference wins will be coming at a premium.