Forget CUSA and WAC. Here's What I Want to Know

If UT goes independent within the next couple of years (as rumors have been suggesting). Will the Big 12 Conference want to fill the hole with another large Texas school?

Furthermore, if UNT has started to turn the winning streak around by that time, has a nice stadium with plans for expansion, a 35,000+ student population, great location, large alumni base, academic qualifications, a reputable basketball team, and an all around successful "non-revenue" sports program, would the Big 12 Conference think UNT is the school to fill the void?

Let the discussion begin.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If UT goes independent within the next couple of years (as rumors have been suggesting). Will the Big 12 Conference want to fill the hole with another large Texas school?

Furthermore, if UNT has started to turn the winning streak around by that time, has a nice stadium with plans for expansion, a 35,000+ student population, great location, large alumni base, academic qualifications, a reputable basketball team, and an all around successful "non-revenue" sports program, would the Big 12 Conference think UNT is the school to fill the void?

I think if that happened, TCU and or UH would be the first choices to get in the Big XII. It could open up a CUSA spot, but I don't see SMU leaving, so...

Edited by untjim1995

No for various reasons.

We don't have helmet stickers

We have North Texas on our helmets not SOW or UNT

We have too much black on our uniforms

We don't have enough tradition

Our new stadium only seats 35k not 36k

The Green Brigade Sucks

Vito has it in for us and will never allow this to happen

The ghost of DD still haunts us

SMU will never allow it

Our schedule is to stong

Our schedule is to weak

• Upvote 7

if Texas leaves the Big 12 you can go ahead and close the door on the Big 12...

A&M and Oklahoma (at least)would probably head to the SEC and the conference would be left out to dry

Texas won't go independent. Why would they? They have everything they could ever want in the Big 12. BCS auto qualifier, make more money than anybody, they have their own network, and with the current set up they have one maybe two tough games a year with no conf championship to muck up things if they are contending for a MNC.

notre dame, byu and hawaii had other regional conferences in which to put their other sports. texas does not. they will not go independent in football. besides,we are a little down the food chain for big 12 consideration. i think our athletic budget is about $17 million or so, while average big 12 has to be over $50 million excluding texas's $100 million.

notre dame, byu and hawaii had other regional conferences in which to put their other sports. texas does not. they will not go independent in football. besides,we are a little down the food chain for big 12 consideration. i think our athletic budget is about $17 million or so, while average big 12 has to be over $50 million excluding texas's $100 million.

The network is UT's outlet to go indy. 2 football games a season isn't going to make ESPN any money.

If Texas leaves say bye to the Big XII.

I agree that Texas' TV agreement could let them go indy for the moment but I don't know that would sustain them.

What is the footprint of the Big XII? Large state schools. Houston and North Texas are big state schools in Top 10 markets. Neither are BCS worthy now but they could be soon if they were in a top conference. I think that alumni support for North Texas would double when they cease to become the red-headed stepchild. Houston has been there before and would haveno problem establishing additional fan base when in a higher level conference than Rice.

Yes, I know that's only eleven and there are no more large state schools but there is a large private school near the area with a large following...Brigham Young. There would have to be some concessions made but other conferences have so we know that it can be done.

Truth is, I don't believe that they would want to bolt with the (unshared) bucks that they will be making.

No for various reasons.

We don't have helmet stickers

We have North Texas on our helmets not SOW or UNT

We have too much black on our uniforms

We don't have enough tradition

Our new stadium only seats 35k not 36k

The Green Brigade Sucks

Vito has it in for us and will never allow this to happen

The ghost of DD still haunts us

SMU will never allow it

Our schedule is to stong

Our schedule is to weak