Power Ranking By relevance - All 120 FBS teams

As we look at all 120 FBS programs and help determine the historical relevance of each team, you have to look at their history, national championships won, Heisman Trophy winners, All-Americans, coaching legacies, television appearances (current and past), fanbase and stadium.

How does your team program stack up against the nation?

Bleacher Report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/748055-college-football-power-ranking-all-120-fbs-programs-by-relevance

Edited by MeanGreen61

I was holding my breath hoping we could get under 100. I kept looking and was convinced that they'd forgotten us completely. I saw Sun Belt teams, and CUSA teams. Then, I saw SMU at #76. And then, to my amazement, North Texas at #75. And they mentioned our 4 Sun Belt Conference titles.

Hurry football season.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

I found it amusing that by this Power Ranking Coach moved up in program prestige from Iowa St. to UNT. I'll take it.

Anytime we're ranked ahead of SMU makes me smile, but for the most part this was a pretty poorly written and conceived article.

Edited by FloMoGrad

I hope the Bleacher Report goes under quickly – though their random "writers" do seem to like us for some reason.

And so we should hope that all the blogs that rarely write anything positive about UNT (even when we have a marketable product) should all succeed? Hmmm?:blink::wacko::)

We receive no high profile respect or poll consideration beating SBC teams and therefore even more reason to try to load up our future home OOC schedule at the Mean Green Stadium with schools who have in the past been a Top 25 program or who might (again) make it back to the Top 25, but we also know "We the People" often get blatantly ignored by some from our own alma mater with what we'd like to see happen for our school.

I know having a new stadium is going to have some joining hands singing Kum Bah Yah and will give many, many passes for past management transgressions in Denton, but we still need to realize that we can't just stop with a new stadium, either. Hell, Texas State U (TSU) officials are already talking about expanding their presently under construction expansion to 34,000 and with Coach Fran in San Marcos, that will happen sooner than later IMO. Folks, Texas State U cleary has their gun sights aimed at North Texas if you don't already know that by now.

Again, we cannot do what we will be so-ooooo tempted to do in Denton and rest on the laurels of having a new stadium & let it market itself. Truth be known the MGS is (like other areas at UNT such as our Tier 1 ambitions) probably 25 years late in happening. Of course, the past 25 years have been most unsettling as we had to be on the wildest roller coaster ride in modern NCAA history jumping from division to divison--from conferences to conferences--from one shade of green to another as we even now still try to find our identity. Sticking with one branding thru the next 2 or 3 UNT HFC's would probably help in that regard and finding a logo for our helmet that stays awhile is a long over-due wish for many on Harry's board.

The Formula To Overcome Our Past 25 Years Football Roller Coaster Ride? Put Troy U on a multi-year vacation and UNT wins a much improved Sun Belt FB Championship numerous times, beat a ranked team in a bowl if such scheduling a ranked team is even possible for the SBC, bring ranked teams into Mean Green Stadium (#15 thru #25) and beat said ranked teams and the last 25 years would become a short memory for all.

• Upvote 1

I hope the Bleacher Report goes under quickly – though their random "writers" do seem to like us for some reason.

Don't understand that response. You do not have to read that or anything else. They print opinions just like any other sports media. Maybe the average writer at "Sports Illustrated" for example is much more qualified but it stills boiled down usually to someone's opinion. The Bleacher Report has some hits and misses, but I don't fault this list. Anyone attempted a list like this no matter how much research and what standards are used is going to get plenty of negative feedback.

Do you really think that anyone else in the Belt has a better football history than NT? None have the history that NT has much less won 3 undefeated conference championships in the last decade. Someone mentioned NT being even one spot above SMU was surprising. Really, SMU has had a lot of down years plus being the most penalized programs in NCAA history.

• Upvote 1

And so we should hope that all the blogs that rarely write anything positive about UNT (even when we have a marketable product) should all succeed? Hmmm?:blink::wacko::)

yada yada yada..

I think this link was posted because it was positive for the program. I'm not complaining about that.

I'm saying that the bleacher report literally allows anybody to write for their website. Most that do write for them have no writing background and do very little research in their articles. Still, fans of teams listed in these articles find them and post them like they are some sort of breaking news.

Edited by Keith7

I think this link was posted because it was positive for the program. I'm not complaining about that.

I'm saying that the bleacher report literally allows anybody to write for their website. Most that do write for them have no writing background and do very little research in their articles. Still, fans of teams listed in these articles find them and post them like they are some sort of breaking news.

You would shut down most of the Internet if your criteria is a writing background and research. I did think it a little strange that it was decided it was newsworthy enough to print in the official alum magazine that NT's band was rated the best in the land by the very same Bleacher Report.

Don't know what we have done on the field to be ranked this high. Makes me think the writer is a UNT alumni.

Several schools behind us on that list that are miles ahead of us, football program wise.

I've seen five or so of these over time and we were ranked in the 80s in each.

I'd guess that they consider all of our years in major college/division I/division 1-A/FBS. That's 50 years. We had a decent winning percentage, a few conference championships, a top 20 or two, a few significant wins, a few close losses to quality teams and qualified for many more bowls.

What I don't understand is being tied with FAU, who has only been in the FBS for seven years compared to our fifty. They've appeared in two bowls but I don't think that they've ever won a conference championship.

Maybe the one that compiled those statistics was a FAU alum.

The Bleacher Report is what you want to make out of it.

If the same article had UNT ranked at 120, then everyone would be ripping it to shreds.

They are the opinions of random people, just like this board.

Now, the exception I take is when people post a bleacher report article as some sort of proof for an argument, or cite a bleacher report article alongside say an ESPN or DRC/DMN/FWST article. It just doesn't carry that much weight.