Walkway In The Stadium

Dr. Seuss

The stadium looks great but I dont understand the walkway that separates the lower seats and the mid level. You lose 5-10 rows of GREAT seats because of this walkway. I never understood it at fouts and especially at the pit, and never see it at any other stadium. Am I the only one that thinks this?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

maybe not the only one, but i believe the minority. i think you need a walkway between the two sections. you don't want people jamming up the aisles because it's 45-50 rows deep. yes, other stadiums have a continuous section, but for our fanbase, it's important to be able to walk around between the sections.

I can maybe understand having a walkway but not after the 10th row, those are prime seats and your just gonna waste them?

after the 13th...i've got seats on the top row of the bottom section and it's row 13. i love the fact that i can hope over a rail and hit the walkway...i can stand whenever i want without getting yelled at...i like the walkway, but then again... fouts is the only stadium i have ever really known.

Edited by THOR

I like the walkway too. All those people and their kids, that walk around during the game won't get in my way. The walkway didn't keep me from getting some great seats at the new stadium. I'm sure there are still some good seats available, even with the walkway there.

The walkway is a necessity. There are plenty of great seats in that stadium--I think losing a couple rows of seats is worth it for the convenience of the walkway.

And it's not at all uncommon for top-notch college stadiums to have walkways. Is your problem with it that it is situated lower than usual?

The walkway is a necessity. There are plenty of great seats in that stadium--I think losing a couple rows of seats is worth it for the convenience of the walkway.

And it's not at all uncommon for top-notch college stadiums to have walkways. Is your problem with it that it is situated lower than usual?

Well both, im not a fan of walkways and they are way to low. When you think of great NCAA stadiums Bama, Lsu, Fsu, Clemson, Penn State, Tx A&m none of them have walkways, you lose the feel of the stadium. Everyone was complaining about how they are to far from the field and when you add walkways you are even further. And who doesnt love that walk down to your seats, it makes you feel closer than having to walk up the small flight and then the grand stands

I can understand walking around is easier but every stadium I have been to has not had a walkway in the grand stands, they're always behind. Not only because they lose seats but for people to walk by more vendors and concessions, when you walk in the grand stands you wont get that last minute purchase. But to me you just lose the feel of a stadium, tell me if im wrong but what other stadiums have walkways in the grand stands because i can only think of Texas Tech

I can nitpick this one, Dr. Seuss.

Every venue you just named is a bowl, with the exception of Kyle Field.

Kyle's field is level with the ground. And, btw, there are tiers. So if you love long, moon-lit walks down the stands, you ain't getting one there either.

Off the top of my head, nearly every stadium (that is not a bowl) has a walkway. An exception comes to mind: Memorial Stadium. But it's lower tier is so big it can qualify as its own bowl. There are probably others, but I think most out there have walkways.

I would inquire with architect friends before pressing this further. There might be some structural logistics in it that make sense; not just something RV threw around for preference to smite a few fans and ignore potential dollars.

Edited by greenminer

I can nitpick this one, Dr. Seuss.

Every venue you just named is a bowl, with the exception of Kyle Field.

Kyle's field is level with the ground. And, btw, there are tiers. So if you love long, moon-lit walks down the stands, you ain't getting one there either.

Off the top of my head, nearly every stadium (that is not a bowl) has a walkway. An exception comes to mind: Memorial Stadium. But it's lower tier is so big it can qualify as its own bowl. There are probably others, but I think most out there have walkways.

I would inquire with architect friends before pressing this further. There might be some structural logistics in it that make sense; not just something RV threw around for preference to smite a few fans and ignore potential dollars.

I was just using examples but most (90%) of college football stadiums are bowls, I think we are the only new Stadium that does not have a bowl. If you can find more than 10 stadiums that have walkways between 10-15 rows up let me know.... Name 10 stadiums period

Some non bowls that I found that dont have walkways, Iowa, Iowa State, Flordia, Colorado

I was just using examples but most (90%) of college football stadiums are bowls, I think we are the only new Stadium that does not have a bowl. If you can find more than 10 stadiums that have walkways between 10-15 rows up let me know.... Name 10 stadiums period

Some non bowls that I found that dont have walkways, Iowa, Iowa State, Flordia, Colorado

that's a great question... I haven't been to enough stadiums to name 10 but i'll definitely keep my eyes peeled when watching from now on. As said before, Jones stadium has got it but the lower bowl is much deeper than 10 rows. Neyland stadium in tennessee has got tons of narrow walkways that wrap around the stadium on the top and bottom, however it's 3 stadiums stacked on top of each other so the design is very peculiar. One of my favorites (homer-call here) is the high school field here in Denton, CH Collins. It has a walkway and very few rows in the lower bowl and I think it's fantastic. I feel that it has an incredibly intimate atmosphere with great sight-lines and I really believe that our new stadium will have an equally great atmosphere for the fans.

Even though I think the "Wing-zone" or "Nest" (whatever you want to call it) is a stadium abomination right now, I look forward to seeing how it looks on gameday and I hope to have a good review of it after that.

Notre Dame

Ohio

OSU

OU

Nebraska

Missouri

Baylor

From what I can tell, all of their stadiums have walkways. If you count the handicap seating, the Mean Green Stadium walkway starts at about the 15th row on the west side, ~19th row in the north end, and ~25th row on the east side. As another poster stated, the placement of the walkway was driven by the grade of the land, with Mean Green Stadium being built on the side of a hill. At least we don't have a bunch of wasted concourse space with ramps like we had at Fouts.

I don't have a problem with the walkways.

Now, in the voice of Ty Pennington: ADMINS, MOVE THIS THREAD! :goodjob:

I think I heard several years ago that new stadiums had to be designed to be able to have all fans removed from the stadium within a certain time frame.

Most of your older stadiums have smaller walkways because they were build many years ago and are grandfathered in. Any new additions to these older stadiums include crowd movement in there new additions.

• Upvote 2

First of all, the argument stating alot of stadiums, especially really old ones, do not have a walkway is invalid at best.

The center walkway is (as someone said earlier) at grade level, or closer thereto. Meaning, when you buy your ticket, walk into the stadium, you head down a level (or very slightly sloped) path, into the stadium at a center walkway. The PRIMARY reason for this walkway is required NOW for Americans with Disablilties Act. This isnt JUST a walkway, the front edge of it is where the handicapp/Wheelchair seating will be. Why couldnt we enter the stadium at the top and THEN walk down to all the seats? Because then you would have to depress the stadium from the top row, down completely into the ground. Look at the photos and do the math yourself. Nobody would dig out an new stadium and completely depress it into the earth. Literally picture this. Take a cereal bowl, and lay it on top of your kids sandbox, Now PUSH it all the way down until the rim is flush with the sand. Ok now picture that cereal bowl being like a gazillion times that size. Really? Are you kidding me?

That's a crap-load of dirt people. Sereiously, that would have added millions of dollars just to dirt excavation.

Please drop this argument, do yourself a favor, go visit the stadium. It's the nicest thing with a center walkway you've ever seen.

The reason is this (and someone else said it earlier also)

• Upvote 2

First of all, the argument stating alot of stadiums, especially really old ones, do not have a walkway is invalid at best.

The center walkway is (as someone said earlier) at grade level, or closer thereto. Meaning, when you buy your ticket, walk into the stadium, you head down a level (or very slightly sloped) path, into the stadium at a center walkway. The PRIMARY reason for this walkway is required NOW for Americans with Disabilities Act. This isnt JUST a walkway, the front edge of it is where the handicapp/Wheelchair seating will be. Why couldnt we enter the stadium at the top and THEN walk down to all the seats? Because then you would have to depress the stadium from the top row, down completely into the ground. Look at the photos and do the math yourself. Nobody would dig out an new stadium and completely depress it into the earth. Literally picture this. Take a cereal bowl, and lay it on top of your kids sandbox, Now PUSH it all the way down until the rim is flush with the sand. Ok now picture that cereal bowl being like a gazillion times that size. Really? Are you kidding me?

That's a crap-load of dirt people. Sereiously, that would have added millions of dollars just to dirt excavation.

Please drop this argument, do yourself a favor, go visit the stadium. It's the nicest thing with a center walkway you've ever seen.

The reason is this (and someone else said it earlier also)

Then lets look at cowboy stadium, they dont have walkways in the middle of section, they are behind the stands and thats only 2 years old. AA doesnt have walkways in the middle, and thats 10 years old. I don't understand where youre coming from from the whole depressing the stadium in the ground, thats not what this is about. And yes I have been to the stadium multiple times and thinks its absolutely phenomenal

Then lets look at cowboy stadium, they dont have walkways in the middle of section, they are behind the stands and thats only 2 years old. AA doesnt have walkways in the middle, and thats 10 years old. I don't understand where youre coming from from the whole depressing the stadium in the ground, thats not what this is about. And yes I have been to the stadium multiple times and thinks its absolutely phenomenal

Why are you comparing it to facilities not remotely in its class? Cowboys Stadium is layered with what, like 5 decks? If we had that type of design, of course we wouldn't need walkways in the middle. But compare it with comparable facilities--that's why I mentioned Ford Stadium. It's about the same size, it's the stadium we all wanted ours to be like--and it has walkways.

Why are you comparing it to facilities not remotely in its class? Cowboys Stadium is layered with what, like 5 decks? If we had that type of design, of course we wouldn't need walkways in the middle. But compare it with comparable facilities--that's why I mentioned Ford Stadium. It's about the same size, it's the stadium we all wanted ours to be like better than --and it has walkways.

Fixed it for you. :P