http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/18/2932654/bunk-in-bulk.html

My favorite segment.

Mad and Misinformed

The problem is that people are so angry - but for all of the wrong reasons.

One e-mail I've received over and over again is a spreadsheet that purports to show how badly things are going under President Obama. The first column shows that the price of gasoline was $1.83 in January of 2009 and as of the date of the spreadsheet it was $3.10, a rise of 69.6 percent. The next shows West Texas Intermediate selling for $38.74 when Obama took office (it would fall to $33 a few weeks later), and on the day the spreadsheet was done it was $91.35 -- or a 135.9 percent increase. The columns seem endless.

My problem with that spreadsheet is that if you did one on the presidency of George W. Bush, it too would show disheartening percentages. For example, the price of oil at his inauguration was around $18, but rose to $147 a barrel within a few years. That's a 716.6 percent increase; and gasoline went from $1.55 a gallon to $4.12, up 258.7 percent.

Of course the parts of the spreadsheet that show more unemployment and less income actually began before Obama moved into the White House, but the numbers fell into his first two months in office.

I am not defending Obama, nor am I indicting Bush. I'm merely pointing out that these things have been out of control no matter who nominally controlled the White House or the Congress.

But, because people want to make them political issues instead of recognizing that they are economic, they cannot be resolved. We can't have an adult conversation on fixing problems because the national discussion sounds more like a bunch of angry 6th-graders calling each other names.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

But, because people want to make them political issues instead of recognizing that they are economic, they cannot be resolved. We can't have an adult conversation on fixing problems because the national discussion sounds more like a bunch of angry 6th-graders calling each other names.

You know who says stuff like this? Big, stupid doo-doo heads, that's who.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

http://www.star-tele...nk-in-bulk.html

We can't have an adult conversation on fixing problems because the national discussion sounds more like a bunch of angry 6th-graders calling each other names.

Sort of reminds one of some of the discussions on GMG.com.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Typical whig response.

Typical Tory elitism dismissing America's native vernacular as not being refined enough. Will this war never end?

Oh yeah? How bout them gas prices during Loyalist years?

Seriously...this could not have gone any better. HOF worthy, lock the thread.

• Upvote 4

Seriously...this could not have gone any better. HOF worthy, lock the thread.

Only want one sided opinions? Sounds like.........

Communism.......

I know you are, but what am I.......

Oh, and too bad Ed Wallace didn't feel the need to chime in back in the last 2 vitriolic years of the final Bush term. Funny how that works.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

3504838_gal.jpg

Republicans are better: We like to let the market dictate policies and protect conservative values.

Democrats are better: We like to protect against economic imbalance and progress new social ideologies.

Oh Really?

Really!

Stop looking at me GMG.com.

If you think that saving baby seals is more important than saving baby humans, you might just be a Democrat.

If you think that giving food to the poor makes you a saint, but asking why the poor have no food makes you a Commie Liberal, you might just be a Republican.

• Upvote 2