Green Gang: Roster Report (Medical Redshirts)

Mean Green Matt

How did ford and johnson not get one? Johnson played 1 half of football and I thought ford got hurt before the season. Wth?

Ford got hurt in the first half of the clemson game and JJ got hurt either during clemson or rice...i dont remember....all i know is both should have gotten em but once again North Texas gets the shaft... :growl:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ford got hurt in the first half of the clemson game and JJ got hurt either during clemson or rice...i dont remember....all i know is both should have gotten em but once again North Texas gets the shaft... :growl:

My thought is if they were eligible and did not get a medical redshirt we should turn our ire towards the athletic department and not the NCAA. I don't know about the rest of you but I see a trend developing and conspiracy theories are for the weak minded.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1

My guess is if they were eligible and did not get a medical redshirt we should turn our ire towards the athletic department and not the NCAA. I don't know about the rest of you but I see a trend developing and conspiracy theories are for the weak minded.

I am beginning to sense a trend with our NCAA's appeals and it should be directly thrown at the feet of RV and his administration. :growl:

I am guessing Ford and others like the article said did not hey a RS because they already used their one year, I do however think they can request a 6th year after 2011 season???

• Upvote 1

From what I understand this is a submit the paperwork and see what happens kind of situation, so what exactly have RV and staff failed to do? Is there more to it than that?

"special case involves the eligibility of a player who loses the majority of a season to injury. Popularly known as a medical redshirt, a hardship waiver may be granted an athlete who appears in fewer than 30% of his or her team's competitions (with none coming after the midway point of the season), then suffers a season-ending injury. A player who is granted such a waiver is treated for the purposes of their eligibility as though he or she had not competed in that season."

Not trying to dismiss the accusations, just seeking to clarify what it is we think RV and staff did or did not do that they could or could not have done, to cause this outcome to turn out differently?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My thought is if they were eligible and did not get a medical redshirt we should turn our ire towards the athletic department and not the NCAA. I don't know about the rest of you but I see a trend developing and conspiracy theories are for the weak minded.

So is this trend you see developing your conspiracy theory?

JJ got hurt in Clemson and If I recall Ford got hurt on only the 3rd or 4th snap of the game for the defense.

I actually talked to JJ a couple months back and asked him if he was getting a medical redshirt and he said he wasn't eligbel because he played over 40 plays in the Clemson game.

Not sure if the number of plays was the right amount because it's been awhile, but he didn't seem like he was getting shafted or anything.

How did ford and johnson not get one? Johnson played 1 half of football and I thought ford got hurt before the season. Wth?

I will try and ansewer this question on why some players received a medical redshirt and others did not.

Being new to North Texas football all I know on each of these players is what I have learned in the past month therefore I am going on the facts that I have picked up just in the past few weeks.

Each player has 5 yr to play 4. Bynes, Cook, and Thompson received medical RS for last year even though they played last yr because of injury's. The reason they received medical RS an Ford, Johnson, and Leppo did not is that Ford, Johnson and Leppo had already used there RS year.

The biggest problem in understanding how this system works is the term Medical RS. This term should only be used in cases where the player is granted a 6th yr to play 4.

Each player can have one RS yr. Under NCAA rules the 3 above players that were lost for the season due to injury were allow to use there one RS year even thouth they had played during the season.

I will try and ansewer this question on why some players received a medical redshirt and others did not.

Being new to North Texas football all I know on each of these players is what I have learned in the past month therefore I am going on the facts that I have picked up just in the past few weeks.

Each player has 5 yr to play 4. Bynes, Cook, and Thompson received medical RS for last year even though they played last yr because of injury's. The reason they received medical RS an Ford, Johnson, and Leppo did not is that Ford, Johnson and Leppo had already used there RS year.

The biggest problem in understanding how this system works is the term Medical RS. This term should only be used in cases where the player is granted a 6th yr to play 4.

Each player can have one RS yr. Under NCAA rules the 3 above players that were lost for the season due to injury were allow to use there one RS year even thouth they had played during the season.

what's stopping them from getting a sixth year?

A sixth year is only granted to a player who has not voluntarily already taken a redshirt year. Therefore a player that has been redshirted because of injury or other circumstances deemed beyond his control may receive a hardship waiver for a sixth year. Players like Tune who took a voluntary redshirt are not eligible for a sixth year. For example, players who took a redshirt their freshman year to just save a year of eligibility cannot get a sixth year.

A sixth year is only granted to a player who has not voluntarily already taken a redshirt year. Therefore a player that has been redshirted because of injury or other circumstances deemed beyond his control may receive a hardship waiver for a sixth year. Players like Tune who took a voluntary redshirt are not eligible for a sixth year. For example, players who took a redshirt their freshman year to just save a year of eligibility cannot get a sixth year.

Case Keenum voluntarily took a RS his freshman year in 2006....

• Upvote 1

Case Keenum voluntarily took a RS his freshman year in 2006....

Incorrect

That, coupled with UH’s ability to document a shoulder injury that led to Keenum taking a redshirt in 2006, gave the NCAA basis to sign off on another season of eligibility.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/7381868.html

Incorrect

That, coupled with UH’s ability to document a shoulder injury that led to Keenum taking a redshirt in 2006, gave the NCAA basis to sign off on another season of eligibility.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/7381868.html

That is what Houston may have said, but I would bet money on the reason behind that RS in 2006 being Kevin Kolb who was a senior at the time. It would be pretty easy to make something like that up. I am not saying they did, but I think there is reason to be skeptical.

"Documentation" is only as good as the integrity of those who purport it.