Oklahoma Panhandle State (12/28/10)

CMJ

Horrible game but glad it was against a bad team. NT went on a 22-6 run at end of game to make the score repectable. A division 2 team with 2 wins without it's best player and having not played in nearly 2 weeks or practiced in days, give NT all they could stand. I doubt NT could have beat anyone else playing this bad. Thompson at least got interested and essentially sealed the win.

I hope that NT got a bad bad game out of their system and will be ready for two a lot tougher conference games this week. Overall 11-2 oc is great so I guess I should look at the positives.

Edited by GrandGreen

The good-

1)We came back from the break and won by 20 in easily our worst game in several years.

2)Knox continues to be serviceable.

3)Reserves got some minutes and early ones to boot.

The bad-

1)This is ateam that should have been mercifully put to bed EARLY in the second half.

2)We showed that we cant afford to go to our bench a lot. Starters are gonna need to log mucho minutes against teams like UALR and WKU.

3)We sleep-walked through about 25 of the 40 minutes.

All in all I'm not worried, not encouraged.

• Upvote 3

hope to many people on this board dont overreact to tonights game... played horrible (which i saw coming after a big win and also its kinda hard to get up for a school no one has ever heard of)... not worried one bit and you shouldnt be either... believe me this game will be forgotten at around 7pm thursday... pleeeeaaassse dont overreact mean green nation, although ugly we won and did so by 21 were fine and have been playing good... GMG!!!

I tend to disagree on the comment about the bad bench. The starters logged 128 minutes and scored 56 points (.43 per minute played). The bench played 72 minutes and scored 27 (.37 per minuted played). In fact, both made 50% of their field goal attempts. The difference was in free throws, mostly by Thompson who hit 13.

What I don't know is how well that they play defense. I think that you need playing time to hone that skill and except for Dom Johnson they're not getting it.

I don't know if bad bench is right term, but it's short bench. According to Kenpom stats, North Texas is #312 in nation in percentage of minute played by bench players. They only make up 24% of the minutes compared with 32%. http://www.kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Texas

Tonight's bench scoring was really helped out by Hall hitting those two 3 pointers.

Looking over box score, the biggest issue I saw was defensive FG%. OPSU shot 45% overall and 53% from 3pt range (on 17 attempts). The goal should be 40% and 35%.

OPSU did turn the ball over 22 times but we were only credited with 8 steals.

North Texas FT percentage is unusually low for us but that was result of Knox going 1 for 6. Take him out and we were 24-33.

So ready for Thursday so we can get conference play started. Here's to back to back Sun Belt titles.