Texas Arlington (11/30/10)

CMJ

Always glad to beat UTA. We did some things really well, shooting the 3, free throws and rebounding. Definitely have some things to work on, too many turnovers. We also need to figure out how to defend the dribble pentration. For too often led to passes to and wide open dunks/layups by players under the basket.

Attendance: 2,652

Kinda surprised it was that low actually. Hopefully we can get that many for Grambling on Thursday, even if they aren't a local draw.

No way it was that low , that's gotta be wrong. I would have guessed around 3,500

* Not saying your wrong Courtland , just who ever reported it ( meangreensports?)

Edited by NT03

No way it was that low , that's gotta be wrong. I would have guessed around 3,500

* Not saying your wrong Courtland , just who ever reported it ( meangreensports?)

I found it on Yahoo. MGSports hasn't posted yet, but they (yahoo) almost always have the correct figure.

Edited by CMJ

Why are the numbers so important... why cant you focus on the win?

-- Or more so how we just about chocked and assume that we can play 6 players 30 minutes or more a game and assume their legs will hold all year. Our conference will run all over us if this is the plan night in night out

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

-- Or more so how we just about chocked and assume that we can play 6 players 30 minutes or more a game and assume their legs will hold all year. Our conference will run all over us if this is the plan night in night out

5-1.

4 D-1 wins. That's as many as ULM, ULL, Troy, Arkansas State, Denver, and South Alabama combined.

I'm not saying we'll go undefeated... But I think we're going to be just fine once conference play rolls around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would I get -2 for posting that?

- Its the truth.... you know why we fell off this game? We played 6 guys the entire last half and then ran a full court press against 4-1 motion where we know they are going to drive kick out and jack it... especially behind by so many points. Yet we do not sub in Alonzo or Jacob... and instead of slowing the pace on offense we speed it up. Yes, a win is a win. But my point is entirely valid. This will not be able to last forever. And with no Alzee Mangrum or Mcghee Holmon needs to learn to play the 3 and quick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We like to know that we are moving forward and not back. These guys deserve a full house the way they are playing.

Relax. We didn't choke, and there have been more than a few dramatic wins this year. They are wins, however. This team has character in close games. There will be plenty more close calls, our cold blooded scorers will come through, and somehow we always get a key rebound. We will appreciate these games a little later in the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Opening a 24 point lead doesn't cause someone to just decide to change their starting lineup.

We get it; we're thin at guard... and still winning.

We're all a little concerned, but it must be tempered somewhat by the Ws just like the Ws are tempered by knowing that we're not that deep right now.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why cant you handle the truth? I was at the game with a friend who played and coached in college and was going to play D-ball before a injury and he would 100% agree with me. Did you not notice how sluggish we were compared to them? Have you not checked the box score? Take a look at it and remove those -3's from my post. I still think we will do fine against our conference but this is a huge concern of anyone. Increases the chance of injury, cramps, and simple body stress. All 5 starters looked tired with 7 minutes to go in the game. Tristan was bending over every chance he could get. Hogans was not hustling up the floor and white was not pushing the ball to the half court line. They ran right past our "press" defense. Lucky they wanted to settle to jack so many three's. They are a terrible team! (UTA that is)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

But we still need to make a few changes...

Why not start

pg-White

sg-Tristan

sf-Holmen

pf-Edwards

C-Odufua

Bench: Johnson, Shorter, and Hogans... Knox when we um, need him

Because arguably four of our five best players are the guards, and one of them already starts on the bench?

Because Tristan and Josh and George have already spent most of their recent careers here averaging 30+ mpg and, at least for the time being, subbing them out isn't really a worry unless we have foul trouble?

Because Hogans is elevating himself to double balls status (currently he is the balls-and-a-half, with each game that he shows improved scoring touch pushing him closer to that elite double balls ranking)?

It seems to me that we're 5-1 and our only loss came to a contender for an NCAA 1 seed, and we don't really need to go tinkering too much at all with what we're doing. I'd like to get the guys a little more rest, but if we need them on the floor to win, we have to keep putting them out and leaving them there.

Here's a better question: How about we just enjoy yet another strong start to what looks like yet another strong year, and quit trying to be nit pick superfans that refuse to appreciate the success that's happening?

If JJ gets a new job after the season, send in your resume and tell them how you'll coach your ass off. Shanice had a binder, a baby, and a winning smile, and it got her a coaching job here. I wouldn't completely write off your chances.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Opening a 24 point lead doesn't cause someone to just decide to change their starting lineup.

We get it; we're thin at guard... and still winning.

This move would just help with depth and defense off the bench. Would it not? Its not some major change to the lineup. White and Tristan would have more opportunities to score, we would have solid guard play off the bench and great D. Its worth a shot. You keep them in for 5 minutes before subbing out Holmon and Edwards for Johnson and Hogans. And obvisoully your clutch and final lineup would still be Josh, Tristan, Dom, Kendrick and George

• Upvote 1

This move would just help with depth and defense off the bench. Would it not? Its not some major change to the lineup. White and Tristan would have more opportunities to score, we would have solid guard play off the bench and great D. Its worth a shot. You keep them in for 5 minutes before subbing out Holmon and Edwards for Johnson and Hogans. And obvisoully your clutch and final lineup would still be Josh, Tristan, Dom, Kendrick and George

Put it here:

vinyl-menu-5-l.jpg?w=282

Not here:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showforum=2

HAHA..... I have not even coached at the Pee Wee level yet... I would have to ride the Co tails of two of my friends. This is just a simple adjustment I would try for a few games, Heck it would not hurt the game after LSU before our conference play begins. Thats for sure. Outside of what zone D and a few motion or flex offense I could not do much.. and i still have much to learn about those, but thanks for the vote ;)

-- I just did not get how that got a now -3 when it was an honest opinion and not ragging on anyone coach or the team.

• Upvote 1