Dan Mccarney Accepts Unt Job

KingDL1

Reading about this hire, and working in the business world now, I had to chuckle. Remember when everyone was saying 30 or 40K was small change to hire the right coach?

Well, the 30 or 40K proved to be MORE expensive in this case. Mac is a done (as in over the hill) coach, and we will be paying him a hefty salary for at least 5 years. Coach Chico, who was the better option of the two, would have worked for less and brought more excitement and energy to the program. Ultimately, the 'consultant' will have cost us dearly.

I was not a Dodge believer when he was hired, but as a UNT alum I went to games when I was still living in Texas. It got to be a begrudging exercise to go to Fouts to see the weak product that was put on the field. Chico seemed to have the ONE thing I loved in a coach as a player, he developed and executed a game plan designed for the strengths of his players. These other, 'high profile coaches - including Dodge' seem to be selling some crazy-assed 'playbook' as a one size fits all solution. I am afraid Coach Mac will be one of those guys. That being said,

Count me OUT as one who is excited for next year.

Edited by NovaScotiaGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last night was the best I've seen North Texas play in a very long time. Those guys showed an amazing amount of heart. Why they want to mess that up I have no idea.

Dunbar came out and said he played that hard to get Canales the job. Once Canales had the job, who is to say that the intensity could have been maintained? Don't forget we got beat pretty good by ULM just one week ago.

• Downvote 1

Mac is a done (as in over the hill) coach ...

The Florida Gators were national champions when they hired McCarney in 2008 to be assistant head coach and defensive line coach. Do you think programs of that stature hire top assistants who are over the hill?

Screw it, go for 11-1. He'd better have one hell of a plan to beat Canales to the job. He'd also better show some production in high order for the salary he'll be receiving.

With Canales, we would've expected 5-7. He would alter his defensive coaching staff and recruit DLs and DBs to beef up the defense. He'd probably continue to build on an already outstanding offense. In year two, we could probably expect 6-8 wins and continued work on an already solid foundation.

We know what to expect with Canales. He has the buy-ins of the fans, the media, and most importantly, his players. He's been at all levels of the game, so I don't see how McCarney is better hire.

56-85 in 12 years of head coaching? You would swear that he would turn the corner somewhere and keep it consistent, or at least not take half a decade to start winning.

But hey, let's pay a guy $500k and hope he's as good as the guy we already have.

Are you sure about this or is this just what you would have done if you were Canales? Offensive coaches usually don't give a crap about defense, look at Leach and Fran in the big 12. Their defenses were less than stellar.

I think it goes like this. Todd Dodge Sucked. Coach Chico re-invigorated the football team but couldn't produce any more wins than "normal". Canales gave it hell and did a good job as an interim coach; so much that we want to hire him. It is a risky move to do so. He is unproven. Coach Mac is an old dude, but he's won at the championship level. Less risky move regarding wins/losses. Coach Krag wasn't as good a hire as Coach Mac, Leach wouldn't come here, and Fran is a twat.

Ladies and Gentleman, we've got ourselves a Hayden Fry guy, a proven winner. I expect many wins and great celebrations at the NEW STADIUM AT MEAN GREEN VILLAGE.

LETTTS GET READYYYY TO RUUUUUMMMMMMMBLLLLE!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I would be dissappointed with Fran. I was at A&M when Fran was there and he was boring, had not motivation, and had really shitty play calling. No excitement what-so-ever except for his name. Everyone got behind him, and he couldn't produce. He was so monotone during press conferences and would never get excited over anything. 4th and 13, down 14 points. After running the ball 3 times in a row, he'd run the ball agan down the middle for a stop. He SUCKED. I do not want him at UNT.

I think McCarney might do fine. I don't know if he is too old and washed up or what. He's been out of the head coaching realm, but hopefully he has the same excitement as Canales with more wins in our future. We need a motivator and winner. Canales looked good. I don't know about McCarney, but Fran is nothing but a washed up fund-raiser and doesn't give a crap about fans, alumni, or students unless they are giving him money.

He sucked? He has a far better winning percentage overall than our new hire.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I understand you guys like Mike Canales because he has been kissing hands and shaking babies. I just don't see how he is "the answer" here. In his five games, we have a 2-3 record and gave up an average of 421yds and 32pts a game.

I think it is time to finally make the Mean Green Defense mean again.

I was a canales guy this whole time but I lik this hire. He has the experence we are lookin for, he is a Fry guy which is huge, he has. National championship ring to show off amd he is a defensive line guy and we all know how much we have been praying for a stout defensive line!

Hopefully the lack of support I am reading is just blowing off steam. If so I understand it, your guy wasn't hired and everyone needs some time to vent about it. But after the dust has cleared we are still UNT and coch Mac is our new guy. We all have our little disappointments but sour grapes is a crappy reason to not support your school.

Also please ask why he is getting paid more now here than at ISU in his "glory" days.

This. All the other coaches we talked about (Fran, Leavitt, Leach), it was just a given that their guarantees would be lower because of their HC hiatus. So why is Meh-carney's guarantee getting such a sizeable increase?

• Downvote 1

I don't think anyone hates McCarney. We just don't want him at North Texas. Canales has set the bar now. McCarney needs to lead NT to within 8 points of beating a Big 12 caliber team by the end of his first season.

I hope he is contacted by one of the schools with recent opening, and decides not to come here. That said, I don't hate the man. I hate the choice.

And within 12 of ULM.