Dan Mccarney Accepts Unt Job

KingDL1

At 500k we should all expect that.

Screw it, go for 11-1. He'd better have one hell of a plan to beat Canales to the job. He'd also better show some production in high order for the salary he'll be receiving.

With Canales, we would've expected 5-7. He would alter his defensive coaching staff and recruit DLs and DBs to beef up the defense. He'd probably continue to build on an already outstanding offense. In year two, we could probably expect 6-8 wins and continued work on an already solid foundation.

We know what to expect with Canales. He has the buy-ins of the fans, the media, and most importantly, his players. He's been at all levels of the game, so I don't see how McCarney is better hire.

56-85 in 12 years of head coaching? You would swear that he would turn the corner somewhere and keep it consistent, or at least not take half a decade to start winning.

But hey, let's pay a guy $500k and hope he's as good as the guy we already have.

Edited by meangreendork

I've always been a huge RV supporter, but this hire really frustrates me. I know we are just fans and we may not know all the X's & O's, but how can you offer a position to a coach and not really consider your fan base? We are the ones who donate our money and time into the program and frankly I feel a little betrayed. Here we have a young, passionate coach with lots of coaching experience both at the college and professional level, and we hire a coach has to "think" about moving for the job? This is a huge risk and I would even goes as far as to say that it is a bigger risk than the Todd Dodge hire. Here are a few reasons why this could be disastrous:

1) Players wanted Canales and believed in him. I don't think McCarney is going to be able to come in and gain the trust of these players in order to show progress as soon as we all would hope for.

2) We just offered a coach the highest salary ever at UNT, which means he damn well better produce.....and quick. I think the fans will only give RV and McCarney a leash of 3 years before we're calling for both their heads.

3) Hypothetical Situation: New apathetic coach who isn't producing, new $70 million dollar football stadium paid for mostly by students, players who are not on board = UNT loses alll the steam it built over the past year or two and significantly reduces it's chances of ultimately getting into a better conference.

Again, I'm still an RV supporter but if this hire isn't right than I think he's gone. We're not a forgiving fan base and we will be very upset if Canales goes to another school and has major success. As the AD of a D1 university, you must find common ground between what's good for the program and what's good for the fan base/donors, and this hire completely misses on both.

I

2) We just offered a coach the highest salary ever at UNT, which means he damn well better produce.....and quick. I think the fans will only give RV and McCarney a leash of 3 years before we're calling for both their heads.

And just think how frustrating it will be when we are told that we can't afford to buy him out in year 3 of a a 5 year deal at 585K a year. That's why it was so important to get someone that everyone could get behind.

I've always been a huge RV supporter, but this hire really frustrates me. I know we are just fans and we may not know all the X's & O's, but how can you offer a position to a coach and not really consider your fan base? We are the ones who donate our money and time into the program and frankly I feel a little betrayed. Here we have a young, passionate coach with lots of coaching experience both at the college and professional level, and we hire a coach has to "think" about moving for the job? This is a huge risk and I would even goes as far as to say that it is a bigger risk than the Todd Dodge hire. Here are a few reasons why this could be disastrous:

1) Players wanted Canales and believed in him. I don't think McCarney is going to be able to come in and gain the trust of these players in order to show progress as soon as we all would hope for.

3) Hypothetical Situation: New apathetic coach who isn't producing, new $70 million dollar football stadium paid for mostly by students, players who are not on board = UNT loses alll the steam it built over the past year or two and significantly reduces it's chances of ultimately getting into a better conference.

Again, I'm still an RV supporter but if this hire isn't right than I think he's gone. We're not a forgiving fan base and we will be very upset if Canales goes to another school and has major success. As the AD of a D1 university, you must find common ground between what's good for the program and what's good for the fan base/donors, and this hire completely misses on both.

1) Worried about this too. He'll have to have one hell of a sales pitch to get the new guys to trust him. Something that maybe shoves the blame on someone else, but I don't see that working. Maybe the "we're all here for the same thing" is the best route to go.

2) I want to give him 2 years to a bowl and 1 year to produce a winning schedule. When a school can cut a coach for being 28-22, we should be able to demand that if a coach doesn't do his job (ensure academic success of his players/WIN), then he has to go.

3) I'm worried that if McCarney is a dud, then the stadium becomes an empty building. I mean, sure, Fouts was often close to empty as well, but it was PAID for.

McCarney, who took Iowa State to five bowl games, is the most accomplished coach UNT has hired since Hayden Fry in the 1970s. He had a 56-85 record in 12 seasons with the Cyclones from 1995 to 2006, making him the program's winningest head coach. His 2000 Iowa State team snapped a 22-year bowl win drought.

McCarney was an assistant under Hayden Fry at the University of Iowa from 1979-1989.

Just sayin'

Edited by iowastatefbguy

Different day and age ISU fan. I worry that this coach is not going to connect with his players. That is what Canales was doing so beautifully here at the end.

People that think this guy has multiple years to turn this around are smoking something. The wait is over ladies and gentlemen. This team under Canales would have competed and beat some of the same players on the schedule this year, next year. Throw in allowing him the freedom to recruit a staff and bring in his players and dare I say we are bowling next year because everybody is working towards the goal of getting better. Oh yeah a fanbase recharged and supporting at all costs because we hear and see inspiration played out on Saturday afternoons and evenings. We had all of that and now DM has to come in and build the trust with players and fans at lightening speed.

No honeymoon here DM. You do not have years to get us to respectability and back into bowls. We are on the cusp of that today while you were living in the swamp.

No honeymoon here DM. You do not have years to get us to respectability and back into bowls. We are on the cusp of that today while you were living in the swamp.

You are out of your mind. UNT won three games this season. It's not on the cusp of respectability. I'd like to see McCarney come in and win immediately, but to suggest that's expected of him in season one -- after how many years Dodge had to prove himself -- is a bit much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are out of your mind. UNT won three games this season. It's not on the cusp of respectability. I'd like to see McCarney come in and win immediately, but to suggest that's expected of him in season one -- after how many years Dodge had to prove himself -- is a bit much.

do not see the issue with wanting DM to win immediately, he is the "proven" commodity apparently that Rawlins wanted, so he should win straight out against what man consider the worst conference in America, he managed to turn around Iowa State, so yes 5 wins should be the bar for next year.

Yes, he is out of his mind. This is a 3 win team that hasn't shown to be on the cusp of anything (we lost to ULM, for God sakes).

BUT, McCarney needs to win at least 7 games next year and must beat Houston in the opener in order to justify his hiring. Why? Because there were much better names out there that would have brought energy to the program immediately.

Energy=Attendance.

McCarney is the biggest yawn hire of any of the finalist, thus he needs to prove immediately why he was the right choice.There will be no bump in season ticket sales. There will be no bump in interest in the program from Alums (at least we got that with the Dodge hire). If he doesn't win immediately, you can look for a half full stadium by the 4th home game next year.

Edited by UNT90

If he doesn't win immediately, you can look for a half full stadium by the 4th home game next year.

I think you're overstating the fan dissent if McCarney gets off to a slow start. That new stadium is going to fire people up. If I was living in DFW I'd be bringing friends and family in to show it off.

• Upvote 1

I think you're overstating the fan dissent if McCarney gets off to a slow start. That new stadium is going to fire people up. If I was living in DFW I'd be bringing friends and family in to show it off.

Wrong word. Apathy is the right word. It's not like anyone other than the 2 or 3 thousand hard core alumni are even paying attention to this hire. That's why not hiring a Fran or Leach is such a big deal. This turns no new heads. It excites no new fans. If they even here about it, the reaction will be "Dan who?"

I try to drag friends to the games. I am semi-successful. Trust me on this, if they don't care about the school, they won't care about a new stadium, I promise you that.

I don't think so. I talked to many NT fans that were very unhappy with the McCarney situation. I could easily see a stadium that is 2/3 empty by the end of next season. If McCarney is the man, he better win from the start. Many fans in the Denton area are mad, and are not going to support this move for very long if we aren't winning. We won't be able to buy out McCarney. That means this will cost someone else their job.

Last night was the best I've seen North Texas play in a very long time. Those guys showed an amazing amount of heart. Why they want to mess that up I have no idea.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's why not hiring a Fran or Leach is such a big deal.

I'll grant you Fran, but Leach was never going to come here and never going to be hired anyway. He's suing another Texas school and the drop from the Big 12 to Sun Belt would be too steep. I can understand why UNT fans wanted him -- it would have changed the program overnight -- but I can't understand why people thought it was possible.

I don't think so. I talked to many NT fans that were very unhappy with the McCarney situation. I could easily see a stadium that is 2/3 empty by the end of next season. If McCarney is the man, he better win from the start. Many fans in the Denton area are mad, and are not going to support this move for very long if we aren't winning. We won't be able to buy out McCarney. That means this will cost someone else their job.

Last night was the best I've seen North Texas play in a very long time. Those guys showed an amazing amount of heart. Why they want to mess that up I have no idea.

Brett Vito, if you are reading this forum, you need to ask this question at the press conference "Who made thew decision to hire Coach McCarney, and who will be held accountable if it turns out to be the wrong decision?" Re-word it to be more politically correct, if you must, but I would sure like to know up front who is responsible for this hire. Get them on record so that there can be no fingerpointing at a later date.

Brett Vito, if you are reading this forum, you need to ask this question at the press conference "Who made thew decision to hire Coach McCarney, and who will be held accountable if it turns out to be the wrong decision?" Re-word it to be more politically correct, if you must, but I would sure like to know up front who is responsible for this hire. Get them on record so that there can be no fingerpointing at a later date.

Also please ask why he is getting paid more now here than at ISU in his "glory" days.

I'll grant you Fran, but Leach was never going to come here and never going to be hired anyway. He's suing another Texas school and the drop from the Big 12 to Sun Belt would be too steep. I can understand why UNT fans wanted him -- it would have changed the program overnight -- but I can't understand why people thought it was possible.

You never know what's possible until you try. Did we even try???

Leach is not going to get hired by an Big 6 conference team. They don't have to take that chance. UNT would have been the perfect place to rehab his coaching career. Maybe he is not to that realization yet, but did we even ask?

Concerning the lawsuit, there would be no issue hiring Leach here, unless the issue were with the Rawlins and RV. Lawsuits happen. Sueing one state institution doesn't preclude you from employment at another.

NT80 I do too, Fran would seem so much better for our neck of the woods.

I would be dissappointed with Fran. I was at A&M when Fran was there and he was boring, had not motivation, and had really shitty play calling. No excitement what-so-ever except for his name. Everyone got behind him, and he couldn't produce. He was so monotone during press conferences and would never get excited over anything. 4th and 13, down 14 points. After running the ball 3 times in a row, he'd run the ball agan down the middle for a stop. He SUCKED. I do not want him at UNT.

I think McCarney might do fine. I don't know if he is too old and washed up or what. He's been out of the head coaching realm, but hopefully he has the same excitement as Canales with more wins in our future. We need a motivator and winner. Canales looked good. I don't know about McCarney, but Fran is nothing but a washed up fund-raiser and doesn't give a crap about fans, alumni, or students unless they are giving him money.

• Upvote 1

I understand you guys like Mike Canales because he has been kissing hands and shaking babies. I just don't see how he is "the answer" here. In his five games, we have a 2-3 record and gave up an average of 421yds and 32pts a game.

I think it is time to finally make the Mean Green Defense mean again.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2