A Look At Mccarney's "rare" Success At Isu

CaribbeanGreen

While trying to put a positive spin on the merits of Dan McCarney the head coach, we've heard how he turned around ISU, how he won at the unwinnable. We've heard how TERRIBLE the Cyclones were before he got there, and how his dismal overall record is actually a positive given the circumstances. I decided to look at the numbers, comparing McCarney's 12 years at ISU with the 12 "lost" years before he got there...

....in the 12 seasons McCarney was at ISU, his teams won 4 or more games SEVEN times.

....in the 12 seasons prior to McCarney being at ISU, the Cyclones won 4 or more games.... SEVEN times.

While McCarney did have a couple of "breakthrough" 7 win seasons, his teams averaged, as a whole, LESS than one more win a season than ISU averaged in the previous 12 seasons.

McCarney's "disastrous" predecessor, Jim Walden, had only ONE winning season in conference play... McCarney? also ONE winning season in conference - in FOUR MORE YEARS than Walden had.

Walden won fewer than 3 games once. McCarney won fewer than 3 games 3 times.

Current ISU coach Paul Rhoads matched McCarney's highest win total at ISU in his first season. It took McCarney into his FOURTH season to win as many games.... TOTAL.

... he may be a great assistant. As a head coach? He made minimal strides if any. His career is laced with failure in any context. ISU was roughly as good before he was there and since he's left.... and this all still wouldn't be the end of the world if not for the fact that DENNIS FREAKING FRANCHIONE (187-101) and JIM EFFING LEAVITT (95-57) were both openly interested.. in NORTH TEXAS... and we went with Dan McCarney (56-85)... without even a shaky moral ground or financial excuse to stand on.

I hope we're wrong. I hope that Lucy pulls the football out from under Mac at the last minute. If not, then... we had better be right.

My thoughts exactly!

This! ALL OF THIS!!!!

While trying to put a positive spin on the merits of Dan McCarney the head coach, we've heard how he turned around ISU, how he won at the unwinnable. We've heard how TERRIBLE the Cyclones were before he got there, and how his dismal overall record is actually a positive given the circumstances. I decided to look at the numbers, comparing McCarney's 12 years at ISU with the 12 "lost" years before he got there...

....in the 12 seasons McCarney was at ISU, his teams won 4 or more games SEVEN times.

....in the 12 seasons prior to McCarney being at ISU, the Cyclones won 4 or more games.... SEVEN times.

While McCarney did have a couple of "breakthrough" 7 win seasons, his teams averaged, as a whole, LESS than one more win a season than ISU averaged in the previous 12 seasons.

McCarney's "disastrous" predecessor, Jim Walden, had only ONE winning season in conference play... McCarney? also ONE winning season in conference - in FOUR MORE YEARS than Walden had.

Current ISU coach Paul Rhoads matched McCarney's highest win total at ISU in his first season. It took McCarney into his FOURTH season to win as many games.... TOTAL.

... he may be a great assistant. As a head coach? He made minimal strides if any. His career is laced with failure in any context. ISU was roughly as good before he was there and since he's left.... and this all still wouldn't be the end of the world if not for the fact that DENNIS FREAKING FRANCHIONE (187-101) and JIM EFFING LEAVITT (95-57) were both openly interested.. in NORTH TEXAS... and we went with Dan McCarney (56-85)... without even a shaky moral ground or financial excuse to stand on.

I hope we're wrong. I hope that Lucy pulls the football out from under Mac at the last minute. If not, then... we had better be right.

I think it is very strange that McCarney is known for his Defensive skills and yet he set the most points allowed in season record and the runner up also at ISU, In fact McCarney has 9 of the worst seasons as far most points given up in a season out of the worst 25 seasons. Or he has 8 of the worst 14 seasons in points allowed.

Iowa-StateMPAiaS.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think it is very strange that McCarney is known for his Defensive skills and yet he set the most points allowed in season record and the runner up also at ISU, In fact McCarney has 9 of the worst seasons as far most points given up in a season out of the worst 25 seasons. Or he has 8 of the worst 14 seasons in points allowed.

Iowa-StateMPAiaS.jpg

I guess that Florida hired to coach defense because he is just a terrible coach and Florida doesn't have the money to hire good coaches.

From his UF bio:

Responsible for the rebirth of the Iowa State defense, as the unit ranked among the Big 12 Conference's leaders in total defense in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. ISU's final 2004 total defense mark of 329.4 yards allowed per game was the school's best effort in nearly two decades. The Cyclones allowed 44.8 points per game in 1997; however, by 2005 the figure had dipped to 18.5, which ranked second in the Big 12.

GMG

Are we expecting that he will coach a position here, such as defensive tackle? I don't think he would coach the entire D-line, since that's what Mike Nelson did most of the time McCarney was at Iowa State.

Spend a little bit of extra time with the D-line players, maybe. Actually divert the time necessary to being a position coach from his head coaching responsibilities, I would really hope not.

I have to keep going back and reading this everytime I hear that this Mccarney deal looks like it is going to happen. If we hire him and pay him the money that is being reported, it will be a LONG 5 years if it doesn't work.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999