Am I The Only One...

MeanGoingGreen

... who would like to hear the WAC's offer?

We need out of the belt at all costs. I'd be open to an invite if we could leave at any time to join CUSA.

With NMSU, USU, and LaTech, we would be a decent basketball league. And could have a winning season in no time (which could help us get into CUSA).

Let's be the WAC's next Boise State. Anyone with me?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 14

We need out of the belt at all costs. I'd be open to an invite if we could leave at any time to join CUSA.

With NMSU, USU, and LaTech, we would be a decent basketball league. And could have a winning season in no time (which could help us get into CUSA).

Let's be the WAC's next Boise State. Anyone with me?

I'm with you our being the next Boise State (as I have said 1 or 2 times in the past). :rolleyes:

The WAC does not have a bowl tie to a great tourist destination city like the Big Easy which is still the best thing the 'Belt has going for it. How long that bowl tie lasts is for another thread if the NO's people start shopping for a new more prestigious league than the current SBC.

I don't think North Texas will be part of the present SBC configuration when the Belt finally has its leagues' first Top 25 school in the sweet by and by plus....with the MWC and Big East rumblings, this with UNT could be much sooner than later.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We need out of the belt at all costs.

That seems nuts to me. The WAC is worse than the Sun Belt and much worse on travel. It would be the Big West all over again. The southeast is a prime football region. A Pacific/Mountain/Central conference is a TV disaster for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No. No to the WAC. The SBC should go after La. Tech and NMSU and kill the WAC off, which would increase the SBC's BCS revenue share. It would also slam the door on TSU-SM and UTSA's FBS dreams.

Pretty cold, UNTX, but TSU-SM and UTSA need to go thru more baptism of the hell'ish fire we've gone through in the modern era of the NCAA instead of getting all this handed to them on a silver platter the way Benson seems bent on doing.

UTSA? In a great city with a domed stadium could pass UNT so fast in football if we maintain our "non agressive approach to an FBS coexistance" it would make all of us do the Linda Blair head spin type thing as in The Exorcist.

Many of us have seen so many schools pass us by while we still try to find out who we are its just enough to make you yell out:

Horse Ship!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Pretty cold, UNTX, but TSU-SM and UTSA need to go thru more baptism of the hell'ish fire we've gone through in the modern era of the NCAA instead of getting all this handed to them on a silver platter the way Benson seems bent on doing.

UTSA? In a great city with a domed stadium could pass UNT so fast in football if we maintain our "non agressive approach to an FBS coexistance" it would make all of us do the Linda Blair head spin type thing as in The Exorcist.

Many of us have seen so many schools pass us by while we still try to find out who we are its just enough to make you yell out:

Horse Ship!

GMG!

Yep. Slam the door.

You're not. But, it's not popular around here to, in the least, ponder less mediocre options than the glorious Sun Belt. The WAC isn't the Mountain West...but, it may be less embarrassing than the Belt.

Something to consider: the WAC's TV contract with ESPN (10 football games per year, plus extra money for addition games picked up, 12 basketball games, allotment for women's games...'til 2016). How's the Sun Belt's oh-so-rich TV contract working out for North Texas?

And, let the downvotes commence....

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

You're not. But, it's not popular around here to, in the least, consider less mediocre options than the glorious Sun Belt. The WAC isn't the Mountain West...but, it may be less embarrassing than the Belt.

And, let the downvotes commence....

But Jaydub, do you really think the WAC in 2012 is going to be less embarrassing than the Belt? There was another thread that compared the winning seasons of the belt teams over the last decade to what's left of the Wac. It's not even close.

The new WAC is much much more mediocre than the belt. Hell Let's get into the Lone Star Conference. It's not the belt.

What is the WAC offering? Bring back all the legit teams that made the WAC's image better than the belt.

If not, why would UNT want to take a step back. There is no advantage to being lumped into a boiseless, hawaiiless, fresnoless, nevadaless WAC?

It's not the Wac anymore.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

But Jaydub, do you really think the WAC in 2012 is going to be less embarrassing than the Belt?

Does it get any more embarrassing than the Belt? To me, a WAC with only mediocre teams and an ESPN contract trumps staying in the Sun Belt with occasional local coverage (if we're lucky). A move to the WAC right now, even with the mediocrity of the new WAC, allows for UNT to be highly competitive and seen on ESPN more often...against teams most fans have at least somewhat heard of.

You guys grossly underestimate the perceived value of teams you've at least heard of. The average passive fan has at least heard of San Jose State, Utah State, and LaTech. The average passive fan has, typically, not heard of LaLafayette, LaMonroe, or even Troy State.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Does it get any more embarrassing than the Belt? To me, a WAC with only mediocre teams and an ESPN contract trumps staying in the Sun Belt with occasional local coverage (if we're lucky). A move to the WAC right now, even with the mediocrity of the new WAC, allows for UNT to be highly competitive and seen on ESPN more often...against teams most fans have at least somewhat heard of.

You guys grossly underestimate the perceived value of teams you've at least heard of. The average passive fan has at least heard of San Jose State, Utah State, and LaTech. The average passive fan has, typically, not heard of LaLafayette, LaMonroe, or even Troy State.

Oh come on, you can't seriously believe more people have heard of Utah State than Troy University. I'm guessing you don't live in the area anymore and don't see the Dallas Cowboys who start a guy named Demarcus Ware on their defense. Check out TV on Sunday's sometime.

Oh come on, you can't seriously believe more people have heard of Utah State than Troy University. I'm guessing you don't live in the area anymore and don't see the Dallas Cowboys who start a guy named Demarcus Ware on their defense. Check out TV on Sunday's sometime.

I quit watching NFL football last year...much like when I quit going to church, my Sundays are infinitely better without it.

Seriously, how many people do you really pay attention to or care where Demarcus Ware went to college? Do you think anyone in Kansas City pays attention when they announce where Brian Waters went to school? They don't.

Edited by JayDub
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

The new WAC has a total of 6 winning season between them over the last 10 years. Three of those seasons belong to LA Tech.

The new WAC has nothing offer UNT. The bi-annual trips to California, Utah, and Idaho are expensive and do nothing for our recruiting.

The WAC bowls are even less appealing.

We would be better off if the the SBC just added LA Tech and either NMSU or UTSA.

• Upvote 2

The following needs to come out of the SBC office: "Any institution that has participated in SBC football is welcome to return if they request reinclusion in the next 30 days. All other applicants will be considered on their merits." La Tech be darned. I doubt all three of USU, NMSU, and Idaho will take it. Let Denver back in and if TSU-SM and UTSA want in for non-football and move up the right way later, fine.

Last year the Sun Belt received about $187,500 per school in BCS money, if Troy wins its bowl it would have been $225,000. WAC will get $100,000 per school.

WAC TV deal was $3 million. Per a person close to the deal, ESPN was paying for (in order): Boise State, Fresno, Friday nights, Hawaii, and Nevada. Which of those remains? The willingness to play Friday nights. Just as New Mexico dumped the WAC, ESPN will cut the WAC TV deal. They will be lucky to get what the Sun Belt got in the most current deal (and will start the renegotiation process soon).

CUSA's opening offer for their new TV deal looks to be less than the Sun Belt deal because at this point C-USA is taking the stance that they will no play Tuesday or Wednesday and want few if any Friday games.

Unless CUSA has a change of heart, the next Sun Belt TV contract will be larger than the CUSA deal because we will take Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday as well as Thursday nights on ESPNU. I suspect MAC will take the same terms we would. If that happens the largest non-AQ contract will be MWC (and they won't go up in dollars), Sun Belt/MAC, CUSA, WAC

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

The new WAC has a total of 6 winning season between them over the last 10 years. Three of those seasons belong to LA Tech.

The new WAC has nothing offer UNT. The bi-annual trips to California, Utah, and Idaho are expensive and do nothing for our recruiting.

The WAC bowls are even less appealing.

We would be better off if the the SBC just added LA Tech and either NMSU or UTSA.

Why are you worried about bowl games? When was the last time UNT made a bowl game? And maybe there is a reason why those teams didnt have winning seasons. I think they are named Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawai'i. They aren't there any more. This would be UNT chance to be in a more competitive league with more exposure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Last year the Sun Belt received about $187,500 per school in BCS money, if Troy wins its bowl it would have been $225,000. WAC will get $100,000 per school.

WAC TV deal was $3 million. Per a person close to the deal, ESPN was paying for (in order): Boise State, Fresno, Friday nights, Hawaii, and Nevada. Which of those remains? The willingness to play Friday nights. Just as New Mexico dumped the WAC, ESPN will cut the WAC TV deal. They will be lucky to get what the Sun Belt got in the most current deal (and will start the renegotiation process soon).

CUSA's opening offer for their new TV deal looks to be less than the Sun Belt deal because at this point C-USA is taking the stance that they will no play Tuesday or Wednesday and want few if any Friday games.

Unless CUSA has a change of heart, the next Sun Belt TV contract will be larger than the CUSA deal because we will take Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday as well as Thursday nights on ESPNU. I suspect MAC will take the same terms we would. If that happens the largest non-AQ contract will be MWC (and they won't go up in dollars), Sun Belt/MAC, CUSA, WAC

The ESPN/WAC deal isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Why are you worried about bowl games? When was the last time UNT made a bowl game? And maybe there is a reason why those teams didnt have winning seasons. I think they are named Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawai'i. They aren't there any more. This would be UNT chance to be in a more competitive league with more exposure.

Go for it. More travel cost. Less TV money. Less BCS money. Less NCAA money. NCAA auto bid in basketball IF NCAA approves new rule AND deems it applies to auto bids and not just divisional shifts since it won't be in the auto bid section of the rules.

• Upvote 1

How about the money differences. The ESPN contacts have clauses about membership. WITH Hawaii, they were hoping for 50% of the current contract. That puts them lower than the SBC. WITHOUT Hawaii, they are pretty much hosed.

Then there is the BCS money. Posts by Arkstfan show the new WAC teams will be getting a minimum of $87,000 a year less than Belt teams. It will be more since the WAC no longer gets a full share. Each of the remaining WAC teams is treated like a "non Notre Dame" independent.

Further, the AQ conference champion ranked 12 or above gets a BSC game. WAC doesn't get that anymore. They will be considered AFTER the champions of the other leagues both AQ and non-AQ are looked at.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1