Unt Women Vs. George Washington

Mean Green Matt

The game is about to tip off. Shanice Stephens was quoted in the NT Daily saying, "We're going to win the game." George Washington is 1-2 with its sole win coming over Coppin State. UNT lost by 2 points last year at the Super Pit. Coach Stephens really needs this one today.

Stephens guaranteeing a win....is laughable.

First, UNT had a good showing - lots of people with UNT Green on and cheering on the team. Next, I was surprised how young this team is - starting sophomores and freshmen. That is not an easy task. I have to say that Jasmine Godbolt is a beast. She is going to be a great. Our press was really great today, we caused a lot of turnovers. The two things that killed us were the transition game and our free throws. I think Coach Stephens is well on her way to doing really good things here at UNT.

Wow...anyone want to offer Tina S. her job back. Lot's of folks giving Stephens an easier time than they gave Tina S.. Shouldn't surprise me a lot of folks were favorable to T Dodge, but large knives at Darrel Dickey!!!.

I'd take what Tina S. produced here over anything our 3rd year coach has produced to this point.

• Upvote 1

First, UNT had a good showing - lots of people with UNT Green on and cheering on the team. Next, I was surprised how young this team is - starting sophomores and freshmen. That is not an easy task. I have to say that Jasmine Godbolt is a beast. She is going to be a great. Our press was really great today, we caused a lot of turnovers. The two things that killed us were the transition game and our free throws. I think Coach Stephens is well on her way to doing really good things here at UNT.

I'm glad you got to see the Mean Green. It's really cool to show support at a game that is so far away , but this ...

I am glad to hear there was a lot of green up there. It sounded like UNT had a good crowd on the radio.

My first instinct is to agree with your point about starting freshmen and sophomores and to cut her some slack, but this begs the question as to why, in year 3 of her tenure are we still relying on transfers and underclassmen. Not to say there is not talent in those groups; I think there is. She has had issues in the past with player discipline, and keeping players in the program. I don't remember names, but several players have transferred out. This could be a problem. As far as what killed us today, most of them are things that WE did wrong, and not things that GW caused. This is a strong sign of a poorly coached team.

I really like her as a person. She seems to have a good attitude, and for the few times I have talked to her she has been nice. It is just not happening on the court. I am NOT an expert, but I can't find a good excuse to losing to GW today, it just should not have happened. Just like with Todd Dodge, I will support her team until she gets fired, but she better start showing some improvement very quickly. MTSU, WKU, and UALR are 3 Sun Belt teams that at this point could beat us by more than 50 points if they wanted to.

Ok so I can't say I am a subject matter expert in women's basketball but could Shanice Stephens be a JJ like hire in that it will take her time but at some point it will all click and she could do what JJ is doing for us now? Just a thought.

JJ was above .500 immediately.

If we brought someone in for Shanice who went 15-14 in Year One, then I'd think they could know how to make use of a 4 or 5 year rebuilding window.

For the sake of the greatness that is Mike Canales, it's GIRL'S Basketball. I realize this is a sexist comment, but it's not WOMEN'S Basketball until you have a coach who can coach her way out of a paper bag. UNT hasn't had a WOMEN'S Basketball team since Judy Nelson took the team to the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

For the sake of the greatness that is Mike Canales, it's GIRL'S Basketball. I realize this is a sexist comment, but it's not WOMEN'S Basketball until you have a coach who can coach her way out of a paper bag. UNT hasn't had a WOMEN'S Basketball team since Judy Nelson took the team to the NCAA Tournament.

gallery_6857_13_6763.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1