Neinas Contract

MeanGreen61

If everything is being kept quiet don't you think any named candidate is just someone's assumption? I'm affraid at the end of this search we'll have no idea who was contacted, interviewed, etc. But that's probably for the best.

You're probably right but it was Chip Brown who said it. He is like the "inside guy" at UT. He is the one who broke all the Big 12 meltdown news.

I think some of us are missing the bigger issue here. What did we pay Dodge a year? 175k?, 200k,? 250k,?. Either way if we were going to be staying in the kind of price range for a new coach I cant imagine that we would be shelling out $40,000 for a consultant form. Hell that is around the neighborhood of 20% of the cost of the coach. This tells me that we have finally decided to stand up and put our big boy boxers on for both how we are going to hire this next coach and how much we potentially are going to pay for one.

You aren't paying Neinas to find a coach. You are paying to get more applicants.

If someone applies for the job through UNT that becomes public record. Some people won't apply in a public setting because it can hurt their current situation. Apply through Neinas and that fact stays private.

THIS!

I think some of us are missing the bigger issue here. What did we pay Dodge a year? 175k?, 200k,? 250k,?. Either way if we were going to be staying in the kind of price range for a new coach I cant imagine that we would be shelling out $40,000 for a consultant form. Hell that is around the neighborhood of 20% of the cost of the coach. This tells me that we have finally decided to stand up and put our big boy boxers on for both how we are going to hire this next coach and how much we potentially are going to pay for one.

RV and admin has already indicated they have to invest in people to make this thing work....look for HC comp in the 400-600K range...could even be more with incentives.

It has also been indicated UNT is willing to spend a million on assistants. The goal is to win, fill the stadium and get into a much better conference...so money is what it will take.

I heard on an Austin radio station this morning that current UT recruiting coordinator and North Texas alumnus Bruce Chambers is a candidate.

He may have applied but doubt he is a serious contender. I believe he has applied for past openings here. Everyone at uT is abandoning ship before Mack Brown is fired! B)

My guess is that Neinas has been working for NT for weeks, probably a verbal deal till they could get full approval. So Canales performance has nothing to do with his hiring, the Neinas agreement was probably made before Canales' first game as head coach. Why would NT terminate Dodge and wait a month before hiring a head hunter, that makes no sense.

Canales is definitely a candidate based on his performance, and his success will be based on two factors. How he performs until a decision is made, and what other coaches are valid alternatives. The hiring of Neinas is certainly not positive for Canales no matter when the decision was made. The tendency will be for Neinas to promote his own candidates not someone already here. However, the final decision IMO will be made by Rawlins and I really believe he is going to do what ihe thinks s best for NT football.

Secrecy is a component in the decision to use Neinas, but any consultant could provide that function. $40,000 by the way is not a lot of money for a search firm, but NT is paying primarily for his expertise in choosing a hc. HIs involvement tells the football world that NT is serious about this hire. Although it may not be a big signal that confidence in the AD's is lacking, it certainly won't hurt to have Neinas behind the decision when it goes before the board for approval. The Dodge hire was popular at the time, but RV has to live with the results forever.

• Upvote 1

My guess is that Neinas has been working for NT for weeks, probably a verbal deal till they could get full approval. So Canales performance has nothing to do with his hiring, the Neinas agreement was probably made before Canales' first game as head coach. Why would NT terminate Dodge and wait a month before hiring a head hunter, that makes no sense.

Canales is definitely a candidate based on his performance, and his success will be based on two factors. How he performs until a decision is made, and what other coaches are valid alternatives. The hiring of Neinas is certainly not positive for Canales no matter when the decision was made. The tendency will be for Neinas to promote his own candidates not someone already here. However, the final decision IMO will be made by Rawlins and I really believe he is going to do what ihe thinks s best for NT football.

Secrecy is a component in the decision to use Neinas, but any consultant could provide that function. $40,000 by the way is not a lot of money for a search firm, but NT is paying primarily for his expertise in choosing a hc. HIs involvement tells the football world that NT is serious about this hire. Although it may not be a big signal that confidence in the AD's is lacking, it certainly won't hurt to have Neinas behind the decision when it goes before the board for approval. The Dodge hire was popular at the time, but RV has to live with the results forever.

Although we don't get to talk on this forum or kick the tires a bit with potentials who the media usually reveals in past coaching searches at UNT, I still like the Neinas style of doing this because IMHO it raises the number of more well known HFC's when they know the press won't get to write "Coach Ex Famous Coach was interested in North Texas but North Texas told him the feelings were not mutual." It really is smart for Neinas to do it this way and that is why he is apparently a success doing it that way.

Maybe Too Simple A Pie in the Sky Formula But If It Works--Why Not Try?

As I posted before even in a thread and I know some still won't buy it but, hire Jim Leavitt who in turns hires Coach C as Asst. HFC/OC (with hefty pay rai$e) and our next coach in waiting but the big difference is........... from a winning UNT coach's staff.

And then when Leavitt would leave for greener pastures 2 very nice things could happen for Coach Canales. as Asst. HFC at UNT:

(1) He would most likely be a prime candidate for another HFC on a winning staff he helps Leavitt (again) in producing as one with his title of Asst. HFC/OC or...

(2) North Texas starts copy-cat'ting Boise and our next hire is our Asst. HFC ,ie, Coach C. from a winning football program this time around of which he played a major part in creating with Leavitt. This kind of similar hiring within from Boise's winning program has "only" catapulted Boise to 3 BSC bowls the last 4 years

Amazing to me is how they lost 5 HFC's in the space of about 10 or 11 years in the not so distant past--BTW, in each changover the Broncos didn't lose any ground and were still a Top 25 football program.

Never seen anything like what Boise (the non-traditional/non Big Name school--for the moment); anyway, never quite seen a program that North Texas was all but even with at one time do what they have done in about a 10 year window which in the NCAA would be all but considered over night with many. (Sorry, Broncos, but I still loathe that blue football field with those blue unis' expecially for TV games where there is too much blend going on). :blink::huh:

PS: And I wonder which stalker-type poster of late gets me those quick red numbers before I even finish the post? Now get on over to your other computer and give me a 2'nd one real quick now, ya' hear?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 3

Surely you guys get this.

No one is going to pay someone to come in and publish a public report about what they are doing wrong. I'm sure his private report to Rawlins had praise, but also critizism that would not be flattering to the university if made public.

It makes complete sense to pay someone outside of the university to assist with the coaching search. Someone that can protect the university if they get turned down by their 1st three choices and have to go with their 4th. Could you imagine the angst on this board if we found out 3 coaches turned us down? Much less the constant comparisons between those guys and the coach that actually did get the job.

Notice that there are no leaks on this search? Neimas. No leaks on when interviews will occur? Neimas.

People should just be happy that we are acting like a grown up athletic department for a change.

Well written. Sorry, I the system only allows 1 +1

He may have applied but doubt he is a serious contender. I believe he has applied for past openings here. Everyone at uT is abandoning ship before Mack Brown is fired! B)

80, never has been considered. His name was mentioned in two articles by Kirk Bohls (Longhorn beat writer for the Austin American Statesman) right after Dodge was fired , that is their source. Only head coaching experience, as I am sure you know, was at Dallas Carter HIGH SCHOOL. That would really hurt him here this time. However, he has been UT's recruiting coordinator since '05.

Edited by Green Dozer

I really hope that the fact that they are paying this man does not automatically exclude Canales from the job search. It would be really unfair, but hey thats life

Hey that's life? You'll pardon me if I don't find much comfort in that statement since that seems to be the theme of the North Texas athletic department since Hayden Fry left.

When Hayden Fry left, he recommended his very capable DC Bill Brashear as his replacement. The administrators that were in charge of hiring the next coach (and who hated Hayden Fry) sniffed and said "he can get in line like everyone else". Bill Brashear, was rightfully insulted and then took his considerable talents as a coach to Iowa. While there he helped Hayden Fry take Iowa to it's first Rose Bowl in..like..forever. A great opportunity for North Texas to have something called "stability" in their football program went right down the drain. But, "hey that's life".

We then hire Jerry Moore who goes 11-11 and gets hired away from us. We then hire the very sleazy Bob Tyler for one year. And after that HUGE MISTAKE is corrected our program is almost in total shambles. In both cases we could have hired the very capable Corkey Nelson (he applied a total of three times), but we didn't go with that option until our program was forced to move down to 1-AA. But, "hey, that's life".

After we burned out Corkey Nelson by not properly funding the program so that it could move back up to 1-A, we fired Coach Nelson( after doing more with less than any coach since Odus Mitchell) and went on another coaching search. This time using (God help us) a faculty committee. Instead of seriously looking at competent college candidates, like Paul Johnson (the current Ga Tech coach) who wanted the job, we decided that Dennis Parker would be a better candidate. The rest is history. But, "hey, that's life".

After that it was Matt Simon and Darryll Dickey. I don't know who the other candidates were when both these guys were hired but, hey, that's life.

We then went about hiring one of our biggest coaching disasters in North Texas history. Even though we already had gone down that road before. I don't know what other coaches were interested, but I do know of one that had college head coaching experience that (to use his words) would have "loved to have been contacted by North Texas". But hey, that's life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry at you. But you'll pardon me if I don't regard this current hiring situation in such a light hearted manner.

And I hope that my point that we've already overlooked too many other perfectly good (if not better) candidates WHO WERE RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSE, doesn't get lost in this PMG-like rant.

• Upvote 4

Surely you guys get this.

No one is going to pay someone to come in and publish a public report about what they are doing wrong. I'm sure his private report to Rawlins had praise, but also critizism that would not be flattering to the university if made public.

It makes complete sense to pay someone outside of the university to assist with the coaching search. Someone that can protect the university if they get turned down by their 1st three choices and have to go with their 4th. Could you imagine the angst on this board if we found out 3 coaches turned us down? Much less the constant comparisons between those guys and the coach that actually did get the job.

Notice that there are no leaks on this search? Neimas. No leaks on when interviews will occur? Neimas.

People should just be happy that we are acting like a grown up athletic department for a change.

+40,000 (dollars)

Forty grand to help make a decision that could be worth millions in the long run? A "waste of money?" :rolleyes:

I'll give you an idea how much of a "waste of money" the $40K SDSU spent on the Parker firm out of Atlanta was. I communicated with at least a dozen people about Terry Bowden since I thought he would have been a good choice for us. The only dirt I ever got out of that was the rumor (Bowden denies it but there sure seem to be a lot of people who believe it) that he was poking his secretary, who just happened to be the daughter of a certain influential member of the Board of Regents, who was reportedly none too happy about it. So he took a page out of Bill Clinton's book, I thought. BFD. Well, this week's rumors about Auburn make it crystal clear that there is reason to believe that at least for a couple years, Bowden continued Pat Dye's pay for play policy. I'm not saying he did so, only that there's reason to believe that and I now have no doubt that's why Bowden was never even given an interview by SDSU. (That from the mouth of a mutual acquaintance.) Did I manage to hear about that at the time? No. Did the Parker firm hear about it? You bet your ass they did.

Kudos to you, 90, and kudos to 2010 UNT. "Grown up" athletics departments hire Neinas or the Parker firm. Schools trying to operate on the cheap (as in minor league) don't.

• Upvote 1

hiring a head hunter

Canales is definitely a candidate

This. Because Neinas is a "head hunter," he is NOT an agent and therefore doesn't "represent" any coaches. And, therefore, he will not be biased in favor of anyone and therefore biased against Canales. His reputation depends on recommending the person he thinks would be the best choice out of the available candidates so that's what I'm sure he will do. Whether your AD takes that recommendation or ignores it to his detriment as did SDSU's AD will be interesting to see.

Hey that's life? You'll pardon me if I don't find much comfort in that statement since that seems to be the theme of the North Texas athletic department since Hayden Fry left.

When Hayden Fry left, he recommended his very capable DC Bill Brashear as his replacement. The administrators that were in charge of hiring the next coach (and who hated Hayden Fry) sniffed and said "he can get in line like everyone else". Bill Brashear, was rightfully insulted and then took his considerable talents as a coach to Iowa. While there he helped Hayden Fry take Iowa to it's first Rose Bowl in..like..forever. A great opportunity for North Texas to have something called "stability" in their football program went right down the drain. But, "hey that's life".

We then hire Jerry Moore who goes 11-11 and gets hired away from us. We then hire the very sleazy Bob Tyler for one year. And after that HUGE MISTAKE is corrected our program is almost in total shambles. In both cases we could have hired the very capable Corkey Nelson (he applied a total of three times), but we didn't go with that option until our program was forced to move down to 1-AA. But, "hey, that's life".

After we burned out Corkey Nelson by not properly funding the program so that it could move back up to 1-A, we fired Coach Nelson( after doing more with less than any coach since Odus Mitchell) and went on another coaching search. This time using (God help us) a faculty committee. Instead of seriously looking at competent college candidates, like Paul Johnson (the current Ga Tech coach) who wanted the job, we decided that Dennis Parker would be a better candidate. The rest is history. But, "hey, that's life".

After that it was Matt Simon and Darryll Dickey. I don't know who the other candidates were when both these guys were hired but, hey, that's life.

We then went about hiring one of our biggest coaching disasters in North Texas history. Even though we already had gone down that road before. I don't know what other coaches were interested, but I do know of one that had college head coaching experience that (to use his words) would have "loved to have been contacted by North Texas". But hey, that's life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry at you. But you'll pardon me if I don't regard this current hiring situation in such a light hearted manner.

And I hope that my point that we've already overlooked too many other perfectly good (if not better) candidates WHO WERE RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSE, doesn't get lost in this PMG-like rant.

Only 2 things missing for one those kind of rants, Silver, and I'm trying to remember what they are; but the content and length look pretty darn good to me; you can throw "hellsbells" in their every once in a while if you want, too. :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

No, Fran Would be a candidate. Why?

BECAUSE HE HAS WON AS A HEAD COACH, HAS A TRACK RECORD OF TURNING PROGRAMS AROUND, AND HAS PROVEN HE CAN RUN A FBS PROGRAM

Please, tell me what part of this is so hard for you to understand.

Coaches like Dennis Francione may not have applied before, but with the "unseen on the Neinas radar" kind of head-hunting for UNT the best list of candidates he can produce, we could be in for a surprise or 2 of who else "might" be on the list; of course, all this is so under the radar we will never know who they are, either.:( (Which is probably best truth be known).

As another alum pointed out "since everyone is in Monroe today might we have had a candidate or 2 or 3 take a peek at our new stadium in person today?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1