Reasons To Move Quickly?

Harry

I think you might add Mike Price at UTEP to that list...

He won't be fired, but he might either retire or be convinced to step down...

The fan base is getting very restless with the Miners...

Wow last I looked their record looked ok for CUSA --- I will be real interested to see where our total compensation (Coaches and Assistants) falls in comparison for UTEP after our hire. I also see that ULL and ASU may be making some moves as well.

Make an offer while we still have some leverage. If this turns into a coaches' market, we'll end up in a damned bidding war. Git 'er done!

Edited by EagleMBA

Make an offer while we still have some leverage. If this turns into a coaches' market, we'll end up in a damned bidding war. Git 'er done!

If North Texas with this new stadium opening next Fall cannot be top bidder among "any" of our Sun Belt brethran then this thing in Denton is further down the pike than I would ever want to believe.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If North Texas with this new stadium opening next Fall cannot be top bidder among "any" of our Sun Belt brethran then this thing in Denton is further down the pike than I would ever want to believe.

GMG!

Plumm, please allow me to expand and clarify. I have no doubt that we are the prettiest girl in the Sunbelt when it comes to flirting with the coaches we have discussed. But suppose New Mexico, Arizona State, Washington State, Minnesota and some of those other b**c%#s show up at the dance and flash their busticles. The coach(es) we have our eye on may spurn us and go to the hayloft with one (or more) of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Plumm, please allow me to expand and clarify. I have no doubt that we are the prettiest girl in the Sunbelt when it comes to flirting with the coaches we have discussed. But suppose New Mexico, Arizona State, Washington State, Minnesota and some of those other b**c%#s show up at the dance and flash their busticles. The coach(es) we have our eye on may spurn us and go to the hayloft with one (or more) of them.

UNM is not an attractive position compared to us IMO. They are not in a BC$ conference, have a worse record than us in recent past (hard to do), and don't have some of the recent upgrades we do.

I would also think that WSU is not a particularly great job at the moment either. They are the bottom of the PAC-10soontobe12 and show no signs of improving.

ASU and Minn, you probably are on to something there.

With Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas remaining on their schedule, it's not too far fetched to say the Texas A&M job will be open as well if Mike Sherman can't pull out three more wins among them.

The Aggies have beat every team on their schedule with a losing record and lost to every one with a winning record. All remaining opponents have winning records.

The A&M job will be the cherry of the region. If they lose this weekend to Texas Tech, I'd hope Rick puts the pedal to the metal on our hire.

• Upvote 4

Of coursse I never have said that we fair well with the Big Boys--only those schools in the SBC those of us from the Fry era and before had mostly never heard of and probably still didn't till we were told they would be our new conference step-brothers and step-sisters by those no longer associated with North Texas. If you think about it, we have been told and sold many other bills of good in our athletic past from those who have not been able to go to the next level for themselves professionally and who today, could give a rat's arse about North Texas (although they made Big Decisions for us to live with most our lives). We are almost like America today when we have those who think for us and also those who don't think we are smart enough to know what we need & want for our own country of which many of our fore-fathers actually created once they got the hell out of England. Let's see how quickly that all changes and we can only hope it is a bloodless change, too, because we know that has not always been the case, either, starting with the War Between the States.

EAT EM' UP! EAT EM' UP! I reckon that my main problem is I started out as a young guy following the University of Houston football and basketball programS and if my most prudent ex wife had never attended TWU I would probably still think that UNT was located in Denison, Texas. We have not done a whole lot at the level of college sports I really prefer post-1978 and I don't give a cat's meow how many little "anonymous" red numbers I get for saying that, either. I express myself for how I feel and know I rarely ever tickle ears on this board since that is not my goal for posting in the first place, but I really do wish Harry and Friends on GMG.com could let those who put those little green and red numbers on all posts show the monikers of those who so very bravely express themselves by doing that; of course, still in a most anonymous way.

Found this link while surfing a few minutes ago and watching the Rangers with their 2/0 lead.

http://indotav.blogspot.com/2007/09/ten-biggest-upsets-in-college-football.html

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don't think you're going to need to worry about competition from UNM.

As abysmal as Mike Locksley has been, they still owe him a reported $2M if he's shown the door and unlike at SDSU two years ago, I see nothing on their board to indicate there is a movement afoot from alumni to try to find the money to help the school buy him out and some of their fans actually seem to think things are improving because they managed to cover the point spread against NMSU and SDSU the last two weeks. Then there are the Lobos fans who are convinced that with an upgrade of The Pit and a couple stud transfers coming in that they're going to challenge for the NCAA BB championship this year. Bottom line is the administration isn't going to replace Locksley this year unless the alumni demand it and that isn't happening. (In the meantime Locksley still has just two commitments for his 2011 recruiting class.)

With all the firing and rumors of firing, OU maybe is playing a little defense here by giving their assistants raises in the middle of the season?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/10/ou-coaching-staff-given-raises.html

DC Brent Venables from $440k to $480k

OC Kevin Wilson from $430k to $475k

QB Josh Heupel from $220k to $250k

All of the offensive get $20k more; all other defensive get $16.5k more.

This may fend of some smaller mid-majors. But, BCS schools and bigger mid-majors could still match or exceed those top three.

There are firing and hirings every year. I don't think this year will have significantly more or less. I think getting the hire right is more important than being quick even if that means a couple of candidates are picked up before we decide. Last time, Harbaugh became a finalist at Stanford during our process and we lost him. I can't imagine Stanford not being able to make an offer he would have taken even if he had just signed a contract with us. Sorry, but that is our reality just as if Alabama or Texas decided they wanted him I badly enough there isn't much Stanford could do to keep him.

There are firing and hirings every year. I don't think this year will have significantly more or less. I think getting the hire right is more important than being quick even if that means a couple of candidates are picked up before we decide.

This. Deciding to take your time can also prevent the guy you choose prematurely from leading you down the primrose path and using you to court more desirable potential suitors as Jeff Tedford did to SDSU in order to up the ante to Cal.