Final Conversation With Todd Dodge

NTerock

Man, I can't thank Coach Dodge enough for his handling of this situation and the good he did while he was here. I, for one, will really miss him and the positives he brought to the program. I hope that we can find a replacement with an equal quality of character.

Thank you Coach!

His "On the failure to win at UNT after so much success previously" answer needs to be re-thought. I realize he did some good outside the lines work here, but saying "I wouldn't change anything" comes off a bit disingenuous and won't help him in his next interview. Same as others, I wish him luck.

He never said that. He said he has "no regrets".

He never said that. He said he has "no regrets".

So if you're interviewing him and he says he has "no regrets" after utterly failing to produce at his last job, and he doesn't at least give a little bit and say, "I regret bringing a high school staff with me", or "I regret calling all offensive plays myself", or whatever... you feel comfortable with that? Don't get me wrong, I'm not piling on, just making the comment that him essentially saying, "I'd do it all again" is junk. Maybe some time off will help him come around a bit; I'm sure there's still some shock there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His "On the failure to win at UNT after so much success previously" answer needs to be re-thought. I realize he did some good outside the lines work here, but saying "I wouldn't change anything" comes off a bit disingenuous and won't help him in his next interview. Same as others, I wish him luck.

He won't have a problem in his next interview. Sports interviews and real world interviews are very different. As a matter of fact, it would not surprise me if he ended up on the Texas staff. I am not sure how you got "wouldn't change anything" out of this. You think he is going to publicly say he wouldn't bring his own staff the first year, thus some would say he is not taking any blame? Rick even said the ball just did not bounce his way. I have never seen a person work as hard as he did, and have such bad luck. Some, his own fault, some not. He will be just fine, and will continue a mostly successful career. We all stump our toes, just not in as much of a public view.

Edited by Green Dozer

He won't have a problem in his next interview. I am not sure how you got "wouldn't change anything" out of this. Rick even said the ball just did not bounce his way. I have never seen a person work as hard as he did, and have such bad luck. Some, his own fault, some not. He will be just fine, and will continue a mostly successful career. We all stump our toes, just not in as much of a public view.

He said he has "no regrets". No regrets, at least to me, says he wouldn't change anything. The ball not bouncing your way from time to time is one thing. The ball bouncing away from you 86% of the time? Sorry, that's BS.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Downvote 5

He said he has "no regrets". No regrets, at least to me, says he wouldn't change anything. The ball not bouncing your way from time to time is one thing. The ball bouncing away from you 86% of the time? Sorry, that's BS.

He did things his own way. It may not have worked out in the end, but you have to applaud that he stuck to his guns. He was loyal to the people who helped him become successful, and brought them along for the ride. Again, it didn't work out, but he gained a lot of experience and learned a lot in the process to hopefully change things for the future. You can't regret what you don't know.

To say you have no regrets is a far cry from saying you didn't learn anything.

...just because you might do something different next time doesn't mean you regret what you did this time. Mistakes lead to lessons learned. Hard to regret wisdom you have obtained though hardship and struggle.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He did things his own way. It may not have worked out in the end, but you have to applaud that he stuck to his guns.

You do? Hindsight is 20/20, but I think he might have had a better shot if he realized his staffing mistake earlier. UNT in his first year showed some promise, particularly on offense.