West Point Weekend

Censored by Laurie

As Green Lantern can attest based on the post game voice-mails (which I still want transcripts of, please sir) it was probably for the best that I was serving out a probationary period on this board this weekend.

I felt then...and still do...that 9/18/2010 @ Army, game 39 of the Todd Dodge era, was not only the worst performance of a UNT football team under the guidance of the Southlake Con Man, but also the worst game I have seen since I came to Denton in 2001. I felt then...and I still (think) I do...that based upon this effort and performance Todd Dodge has lost this team and keeping him for even another game makes no sense. This is coming from someone who has been very patient with Dodge and supported the decision of RV to bring him back this season.

A part of my frustration and embarrassment stems undoubtedly from the high expectations and anticipation I had for this game. It is very difficult to be such a passionate fan of program 1600 miles away...as such this game has been circled on my calender since it was announced...I recruited area and distant alums to make the trip...even talked a few locals with no ties beyond me to the program to make the 2 hour trip from New Haven to West Point...and to do it at 7am on a Saturday. I bought everyone's ticket, provided a full cooler of beer and cooked one hell of a breakfast. Since I moved I basically get one live UNT game a year and I did this one big. Wish the team could've done the same.

The worst part of all of it...I was prepared to lose. Thats how much the bar has been lowered. I was ready to blow a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. I was ready to be tied with 0:01 on the clock and have a 25 yard FG attempt blocked and run back for a touchdown. I think I'd even be able to find some humor in the inventive and creative way UNT would find to lose a close game. I clearly wasn't ready for that effort.

And it is really demoralizing as a fan. A fan seriously contemplating his commitment and investment in the program.

Of course, this is Monday...and by 7:00PM Saturday I'll more than likely be right back on my couch with a sixer of High Life fighting through a sketchy internet feed from Boca. Masochists, all. This one just really stings.

But since I insist upon optimism...there was much to like about this weekend.

First off, good food, good beer and good friends...two NYC alumni came up and from the parking lot both signed up for GMG accounts...whether they'll use them after this game...

Met an Eskimo brother...at least twice over.

I had the chance to meet Keith, UNTBill, J.J. Johnson's brother (who is a poster on here...just forgot his user name) as well as the grandparents of Connor Gilmartin-Donahue. Nice people all.

Adman...thanks for the shirt...sorry we couldn't meet back up in the city later that night.

For those who have never been to West Point...there is not a more beautiful campus. Anywhere.

51 days until hoops season...

• Upvote 5

I had the benefit of attending with my West Point grad brother in law, and also got to see my cousin who is a current 2nd year (can't remember the official name for those guys).

Got a great view of the campus that we missed last time I saw NT play at Army, when the campus was covered in snow.

Met a guy from CANADA, who tells the great story of visiting FW and wanting to see a high school game. At a random bar in Sundance Square, the guy next to him said, approx 3-4 years ago, "go see Southlake, best team in the state." He went, saw Riley, became a fan, and found NT when Riley's dad was named HC. This CANADIAN, now in Buffalo, is a legitimate hardcore NT fan. Has seen all 3 NT games IN PERSON this year. Rick V met him at an away game a few years back (thought he must be a parent), and honored the story and brought him into the fold.Told me it is easy to follow Alabama and say you are a fan. But he told me he truly enjoys meeting NT fans, hearing and sharing each other's stories, and truly feels a part of the program, though he never went to school here. Goes by "north of 49," I think. Doesn't come on this board but comments on Vito's blog.

Cadet's Mayne and McNichol (I think) came up to the NT section and welcomed us. Mayne is a TAMS grad and his brother is still there, both from Coppell. I always feel better about the future of the country when I get to see the numbers of good men and women at a service academy. It is so striking to hear "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" from men and women who have earned our complete and total respect.

Fall is beautiful in NY, and I hope we continue this home and home schedule for years to come.

My cousin is manager of the women's soccer team....how about a home and away, paired in the same weekend as football, of NT soccer vs Army?

My family and I were privileged to attend this game, meet a few fans and more than a few Army fans and cadets. Many times, we heard, "Thank you for coming up to West Point to see the game. Good luck."

Good luck, in deed.

GMG

did you figure out your eskimo family tree?

As Green Lantern can attest based on the post game voice-mails (which I still want transcripts of, please sir) it was probably for the best that I was serving out a probationary period on this board this weekend.

I felt then...and still do...that 9/18/2010 @ Army, game 39 of the Todd Dodge era, was not only the worst performance of a UNT football team under the guidance of the Southlake Con Man, but also the worst game I have seen since I came to Denton in 2001. I felt then...and I still (think) I do...that based upon this effort and performance Todd Dodge has lost this team and keeping him for even another game makes no sense. This is coming from someone who has been very patient with Dodge and supported the decision of RV to bring him back this season.

A part of my frustration and embarrassment stems undoubtedly from the high expectations and anticipation I had for this game. It is very difficult to be such a passionate fan of program 1600 miles away...as such this game has been circled on my calender since it was announced...I recruited area and distant alums to make the trip...even talked a few locals with no ties beyond me to the program to make the 2 hour trip from New Haven to West Point...and to do it at 7am on a Saturday. I bought everyone's ticket, provided a full cooler of beer and cooked one hell of a breakfast. Since I moved I basically get one live UNT game a year and I did this one big. Wish the team could've done the same.

The worst part of all of it...I was prepared to lose. Thats how much the bar has been lowered. I was ready to blow a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. I was ready to be tied with 0:01 on the clock and have a 25 yard FG attempt blocked and run back for a touchdown. I think I'd even be able to find some humor in the inventive and creative way UNT would find to lose a close game. I clearly wasn't ready for that effort.

And it is really demoralizing as a fan. A fan seriously contemplating his commitment and investment in the program.

Of course, this is Monday...and by 7:00PM Saturday I'll more than likely be right back on my couch with a sixer of High Life fighting through a sketchy internet feed from Boca. Masochists, all. This one just really stings.

First off, good food, good beer and good friends...two NYC alumni came up and from the parking lot both signed up for GMG accounts...whether they'll use them after this game...

I had the chance to meet Keith, UNTBill, J.J. Johnson's brother (who is a poster on here...just forgot his user name) as well as the grandparents of Connor Gilmartin-Donahue. Nice people all.

Adman...thanks for the shirt...sorry we couldn't meet back up in the city later that night.

For those who have never been to West Point...there is not a more beautiful campus. Anywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with all you have to say...VERY demoralizing this loss was. I made the trek up from NC (yes, the trek back DID really suck after that loss) for the game...sorry we did not meet. I was able to speak with Coach Canales for a while, and also met Derek's dad.

West Point is an absolutely beautiful place. The weather was perfect (cloudy at first but did clear off) and looking up the Hudson was awesome! The people there and the cadets we spoke with were very gracious to us...even as we boarded the bus to head back to our car after the game.

However, these kids were not prepared to play. I, too, am wondering if they have lost faith and confidence...either in themselves or in the coaching staff.

Thanks for the beers CBL. Hit me up if you head this way for the Finale.

BeatNavy,

Every post I have read from you has been delivered with class, conviction and character....defining Army and those who attend.

I hope we will continue with the privilege it is to play you guys.

It is really humbling to be among you and yours.

Beat Navy

Unfortunately, we Army fans are not terribly far removed from an 0-13 season, an NCAA record which almost certainly will never be equaled. It helps keep football things in perspective.

CBL, it was nice to meet you and chat for a few minutes. How crazy that after everything we end up pulling into the parking lot and park right next to each other? The game was definitely a bummer, but the campus and surroundings were beautiful, the Army fans were great, the stadium and atmosphere was fantastic so all in all, a great day. Brother was up from Dallas, brother-in-law up from Atlanta and pulled in some friends that were Mean Green fans for at least a day (maybe longer if the on-field performance didn't scare them away).

Not sure I like noon games....just felt like we were really compressed for time and didn't give us enough opportunity to soak in everything. Also, because of the layout of the campus, we get broken up into smaller parking lots, so you feel a little isolated from the rest of the campus activity, but a really enjoyable experience none the less.

We took some good pictures that I'll try to post or provide a link to later (I think we even captured you in the backgound of one).

Keith

Unfortunately, we Army fans are not terribly far removed from an 0-13 season, an NCAA record which almost certainly will never be equaled. It helps keep football things in perspective.

Question for you BeatNavy....what's the story behind all the people (cadets?) walking around the stadium in various costumes?

Keith

I had to work Saturday so I didn't watch the game, only followed the updates on my phone. I have a question for those of you that saw the game. Did any of you attend the Rice game a couple of years ago in Houston? Was our performance worse than that?

Question for you BeatNavy....what's the story behind all the people (cadets?) walking around the stadium in various costumes?

Keith

Another question for you BeatNavy...do the cadets have no better game than to awkwardly attempt to convince Texas girls to join them in the cadet section? I get that they probably don't see too much talent around campus...but man they were uncomfortable.

I had to work Saturday so I didn't watch the game, only followed the updates on my phone. I have a question for those of you that saw the game. Did any of you attend the Rice game a couple of years ago in Houston? Was our performance worse than that?

I wasn't at the Rice game...and I don't there was a video broadcast so if I recall correctly I just listened. It was bad...but UNT at least showed flashes early and that Rice team went 10 (11?) and 2, they were good, and UNT didn't play that exact same Rice team 10 months prior.

This Army game to me was worse based upon effort and enthusiasm from UNT from the get-go...and the fact that Army isn't exactly re-inventing the wheel...we lost by 4 last year...and kinda on some flukey stuff. The only thing different about this year's Army team is they don't have a 6'10" wide-receiver. We're supposed to be better this season...and we laid that egg.

Give me the Army game any day. Losing 24-0 is respectable...but 77-20 after 3 qtrs is laughable beyond belief.

Another question for you BeatNavy...do the cadets have no better game than to awkwardly attempt to convince Texas girls to join them in the cadet section? I get that they probably don't see too much talent around campus...but man they were uncomfortable.

First, I'll plaigarize myself (from a post on the Hawai'i board) in answer to the costumes question:

The Corps of Cadets is divided into 4 regiments; each regiment is divided into 8 companies. The companies are referred to by letter followed by the number of the regiment. Cadets live, eat, and breathe with their cadet companies.

Each of the 32 companies has its own company nickname & mascot -- typically something that ties in with their company letter (one of the B companies is "Bandits", one of the D companies is "Ducks", etc.) It is not uncommon to pilfer a logo/mascot from a college or university to use as the company logo/mascot.

When I was a cadet, I was in Company C-3. Our mascot was the (Fighting Game)Cock. You might be able to figure out what we used as a logo (see below)...

( and despite what the tv guys say, the cadets in mascot costumes are not always plebes -- if an upperclassman wants to be the mascot, they certainly can be )

Regarding trying to get girls to stand in the cadet section: more than likely done by plebes who were challenged to do so by upperclassmen. And no, cadets have no better game than what you saw when it comes to picking up girls.

t94.jpg

The only thing different about this year's Army team is they don't have a 6'10" wide-receiver.

That's VERY untrue. One need only look at our our points scored to see an obvious difference.

A less obvious one comes from watching the plays. Our offense is expanding. The fly sweep that we ran with great success against you guys? We did not run it once all of last year. The play on which Mealy scored our first TD against you guys? Ditto.

Give me the Army game any day. Losing 24-0 is respectable...but 77-20 after 3 qtrs is laughable beyond belief.

What made that laughable beyond belief was that it was losing that badly to Rice. Yes, they were good, but there is no way that Rice should ever be that much better than another FBS team, especially one that recruits the same state as UNT. That game, to me, is the low point. Whether Army came close to reaching that level seems crazy to me, but I wasn't there.

It just seems to me that when you look back at a coach's demise, there is always a game that stands as the place where it just became clear that this was not going to get better. For Dodge, it was that Rice game. For Dickey, I think it was the Tulsa game at home where we lost 54-2. Simon lost to Nevada in his last season something like 65-10. I am sure that our friends on the Hilltop knew that Phil Bennett wasn't ever gonna make it work at SMU when his team got donkey-punched 24-6 by UNT in 2006. There are just games that really stand out when you look back.

Edited by untjim1995

What made that laughable beyond belief was that it was losing that badly to Rice. Yes, they were good, but there is no way that Rice should ever be that much better than another FBS team, especially one that recruits the same state as UNT. That game, to me, is the low point. Whether Army came close to reaching that level seems crazy to me, but I wasn't there.

It just seems to me that when you look back at a coach's demise, there is always a game that stands as the place where it just became clear that this was not going to get better. For Dodge, it was that Rice game. For Dickey, I think it was the Tulsa game at home where we lost 54-2. Simon lost to Nevada in his last season something like 65-10. I am sure that our friends on the Hilltop knew that Phil Bennett wasn't ever gonna make it work at SMU when his team got donkey-punched 24-6 by UNT in 2006. There are just games that really stand out when you look back.

See...the game where I finally lost all hope with Dickey is when MTSU gut punched us 35-0.

The margin of that Rice loss is still unreal.

That Rice game and the margin is pretty darn unreal. I think if I remember correctly they even were scoring on us at will with their second string in?

The sad part of the Rice debacle is that they could have probably scored 100-120 points that day if they wanted to. That game, as well as the 54-2 Tulsa loss at home, are the worst NT game experiences in my 12 years following the team.

This past Army game was bad, but nowhere in the league of the Rice or Tulsa losses. Injuries alone make them drastically different...not to mention margin of victory.

it was probably for the best that I was serving out a probationary period on this board this weekend.

Was that for dropping the C bomb?

Anyways, I'm with you on this game. It was brutal to witness. Fortunately I had good company at Buffalo Wild Wings in North Austin. I witnessed the Rice game first-hand, which was also miserable, but that game was one that just seemed to get out of hand on account of stupid mistakes by players in the second (i think?) year of the dodge experience. These things happen in college sports (see the lopsided Texas-OU blowouts).

This one just felt like a give up, with no hope in sight.

Still love the mean green... but the light at the end of the tunnel is ever-dimming.