A Proven Name Or A Rising Star

Harry

I'll take a double dose of that sort of attitude and passion from our head coach.

And, super extra bonus - He managed to keep himself from cursing! It's the best of all worlds.

Here's the full video of that sequence. The QB was trying to get to the line and spike the ball, but the special teams coach was sending in the field goal unit. A huge clusterf*ck ensued that ended up with a blocked FG that was returned for a TD and allowed Ohio State back into the game.

My link

Joking?

I dont want him as a head coach, but he constantly out-recruited us in our own back yard, not to mention the beating that he administered to this Dodge-coached team 2 of the last 3 years (last year in particular, completely outcoached Dodge).

He had nothing to work with at ULM, and they will soon sink to the bottom of the SBC, where they really should be.

Bowden wasn't at Florida State THAT long.

CMJ, it was Bobby Bowden's 1'st year at Fla. St. the year of the snow game at Fouts Field, circa 1976.

The game made the national television news that evening because UNT used orange cones to mark every 10 yards since there was nothing but snow on the entire field. Those of us there were also having a good time.

After Florida State (barely) beat us in that game, the Fla. St. players stayed on the field and had snow ball fights. The media (as I recall) reported that most of the Fla. St. players had never seen snow.

That year was the beginning of a 34 year career at FSU for Bobby Bowden...and now you've heard the rest of the story. :rolleyes:

GMG!

CMJ, it was Bobby Bowden's 1'st year at Fla. St. the year of the snow game at Fouts Field, circa 1976.

The game made the national television news that evening because UNT used orange cones to mark every 10 yards since there was nothing but snow on the entire field. Those of us there were also having a good time.

After Florida State (barely) beat us in that game, the Fla. St. players stayed on the field and had snow ball fights. The media (as I recall) reported that most of the Fla. St. players had never seen snow.

That year was the beginning of a 34 year career at FSU for Bobby Bowden...and now you've heard the rest of the story. :rolleyes:

GMG!

YES, but he said in the opener of Fouts Field...which would be way before 1976.

I think that seeing a post by 'Harry' on the board, officially sounds the alarm. Dodge is out, barring a miracle comeback this year to get to 7 wins. We are officially at the same place as we were in 2001 (granted, technically Dodge can lose 2 more games).

I don't care who we get. I have abso-freaking-lutely NO idea who would be a great fit here. The only thing that I care about is that we try to keep SOME continuity with the assistant coaches. No "house cleaning" this time around. There are a few good coaches on this staff who want to be here. Figure out who those guys are and keep them around.

I think the guy has got to have Texas (no, I don't mean the Longhorn type) connections, we can't waste a year while a new coach comes in and gets aquainted. Phil Fulmer and Jeff Bowers are nice thoughts, but neither is going to stir up the potential recruits. Most were at a age a few years ago where they did not know nor care who these guys were, much less follow them.

I think the guy has got to have Texas (no, I don't mean the Longhorn type) connections, we can't waste a year while a new coach comes in and gets aquainted. Phil Fulmer and Jeff Bowers are nice thoughts, but neither is going to stir up the potential recruits. Most were at a age a few years ago where they did not know nor care who these guys were, much less follow them.

I disagree. People get too caught up on having ties to Texas or the south. I want a guy that can coach and recruit period. Recruiting isn't a best kept secret thing anymore and as I don't care where he is from or where his background is as long as he is a qualified individual. The truth is that everybody has recruited or tries to recruit this state. And Phil Fulmer won't stir up potential recruits? Are you kidding me? He won't ever come here but you are high if you think he wouldn't recruit well.

Edited by Green Mean

Needs to be a defensive minded guy who has a good reputation with Texas HS coaches. Having said that, if you go "fresh faces", I would seriously consider Bruce Chambers.

Of those with proven records, I think you have to consider trying to get Franchione. The guy can coach.

Here is the one thing about Coach Fran.... he interviewed at SDSU but lost the job to Hoke (Ball State). The starting salary is $650,000 and people know in the MWC that one could easily (with strong results) be making over 1 Million a year. Do you think that Coach Fran would honestly step in for 500k (if we could offer that..)? More so...do we have to resort to comparing the cost per living of San Diego vs Dallas/Denton in order to make it an easier sell? All hypothetical of course

Post-Post note.... after the SDSU turndown he was then turned down at UNLV for a job that pays no more than $490k to ex-Montana HC Bobby Hauck. UNLV on Bobby Hauck

Hauck earns reportedly around $350,000 before incentives....if Fran was interested in this...then I think we are talking in the same ballpark. The stadium sizes and program comparison between UNLV and North Texas are very on par with one another. School population and endowments are roughly the same.

Edited by All About UNT

Here is the one thing about Coach Fran.... he interviewed at SDSU but lost the job to Hoke (Ball State). The starting salary is $650,000 and people know in the MWC that one could easily (with strong results) be making over 1 Million a year. Do you think that Coach Fran would honestly step in for 500k (if we could offer that..)? More so...do we have to resort to comparing the cost per living of San Diego vs Dallas/Denton in order to make it an easier sell? All hypothetical of course

Fran still lives in Texas. He lives out in the boonies according to Wikipedia. I think he would consider us even with a salary less than a million or 750k because we are in Texas and we are in the DFW area not far from where he used to be in TCU. He applied for the UNLV job too...it is apparent to me that the man wants to get back to coaching in some shape way or form. I don't think he would generally want to coach in the SBC but I think he would make the exception for UNT. Just my thought.

Edit: By the way...I think Dan Hawkins will get fired this year....any chance we would look into him? Man can coach. I don't think Colorado has been the best places to coach the last 10 years or so.

Edited by Green Mean

Fran still lives in Texas. He lives out in the boonies according to Wikipedia. I think he would consider us even with a salary less than a million or 750k because we are in Texas and we are in the DFW area not far from where he used to be in TCU. He applied for the UNLV job too...it is apparent to me that the man wants to get back to coaching in some shape way or form. I don't think he would generally want to coach in the SBC but I think he would make the exception for UNT. Just my thought.

Edit: By the way...I think Dan Hawkins will get fired this year....any chance we would look into him? Man can coach. I don't think Colorado has been the best places to coach the last 10 years or so.

As I posted in another thread, Coach Fran applied for our job before Dennis Parker got it. It was said that UNT never returned his call. He was the HFC at SWTSU (now TSU-SM) when he wanted our job.

Folks, if UNT gets a name coach he will have to have had a situtaion (a minor wart or 2?) that has him out of coaching (or even a HFC who just got fired this or in recent years).

Hayden Fry had just gotten fired at SMU with a 7 & 4 record but he pissed off some of their wealthier alums from the Doak Walker era. Also, one of the Dallas Cowboy officials (my guess has always been Gil Brandt) told SMU officials that they were not getting a good job from Fry.

I need to check, but I don't think Fry's cumalative record at SMU reached .500 and with wealthy alums who pay many of the bills that is enough if said coach has had numerous years to at least reach the magic .500.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Having to be on the SMU sidelines week to week, I think we should consider OL coach Adrian Klemm. Dude is great at on the fly adjustments and getting through to his guys. He is a big part of June's recruiting team and with NFL experience and 3 SB rings with the Pats, he is the type of guy who could handle the media aspect of being a HC. I would hire this guy in a second. I am sure I will get ripped now for working for SMU radio, but hey it helps pay the bills....sort of.

I disagree. People get too caught up on having ties to Texas or the south. I want a guy that can coach and recruit period. Recruiting isn't a best kept secret thing anymore and as I don't care where he is from or where his background is as long as he is a qualified individual. The truth is that everybody has recruited or tries to recruit this state. And Phil Fulmer won't stir up potential recruits? Are you kidding me? He won't ever come here but you are high if you think he wouldn't recruit well.

Didn't mean he could not do it nor not do it well.. But he does not have the name recognition with a 17 year old kid in the boonies of Texas. Can he recruit? Yes, but it will take time to build relationships with the coaches over the established coaches we recruit against such as Sumlin, Graham, maybe June Jones at times, and some others. High school coaches aren't just going to send them to Phil Fulmer because he was coach at Tenn, or to any coach they don't have a relationship with, it won't happen overnight. It is just a little more challenging for an out of state guy, but it can be done.

Edited by Green Dozer

Needs to be a defensive minded guy who has a good reputation with Texas HS coaches. Having said that, if you go "fresh faces", I would seriously consider Bruce Chambers.

Of those with proven records, I think you have to consider trying to get Franchione. The guy can coach.

I have posted this name in some other posts. He is now coaching tight ends at Texas, but has been the recruiting coordinator at Texas. Excellent choice!

Edited by Green Dozer

Post-Post note.... after the SDSU turndown he was then turned down at UNLV for a job that pays no more than $490k to ex-Montana HC Bobby Hauck. UNLV on Bobby Hauck

Hauck earns reportedly around $350,000 before incentives....if Fran was interested in this...then I think we are talking in the same ballpark. The stadium sizes and program comparison between UNLV and North Texas are very on par with one another. School population and endowments are roughly the same.

Very interesting. Fran isn't as big a pipe dream after all. Will he be willing to go SBC? I think so.

I have posted this name in some other posts. He is now coaching tight ends at Texas, but has been the recruiting coordinator at Texas. Excellent choice!

No to any applicant without COLLEGE HEAD COACH experience. We've been down that road before (and now) with college assistants trying to learn to be a HC at our program's expense...not again!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One day Adam was walking through the Garden of Eden and noticed all the animals with mates and how well they got along. Adam asked God for a mate and He said what would you like in this mate? Adam said that it would be required that she cook, clean, skin the meat, always keep his house clean, rub his back etc., etc., etc......... God said it would cost him an arm or a leg. Adam asked what could he get for a rib.

Having to be on the SMU sidelines week to week, I think we should consider OL coach Adrian Klemm. Dude is great at on the fly adjustments and getting through to his guys. He is a big part of June's recruiting team and with NFL experience and 3 SB rings with the Pats, he is the type of guy who could handle the media aspect of being a HC. I would hire this guy in a second. I am sure I will get ripped now for working for SMU radio, but hey it helps pay the bills....sort of.

This is what I fear the most--we hire a no-name position coach from a program that has just gotten some recent success. Basically, it would be a redux of hiring Dickey--of course, he was the OC at SMU, so he was a little higher on the food chain. But, hiring a guy like Klemm or Chambers at UT just screams out to me, "Hello, this will be our version of John Blake. Enjoy!!"

And I will say this about our ability to pay for a new coach and staff. If this new stadium costs $78 million to build and we can only pay a new coach around $350K or less, we might as well just be the best FCS school in the country. There is no way we will ever be able to recruit against anyone other than Belt Schools if we won't pay for a coach. And the problem with only recruiting against other Belt schools is that it seems that our admission standards are more strict than theirs, so the perpetual losing that has been UNT for the better part of 30+ years will continue. We aren't going to lower admission standards, so we need to raise our profile. Only way to really achieve that instantly is to hire someone recognizable--its just that this time, we need to get a recognizable college coach that our fans will get excited about. My two choices are easily either Franchione or Kragthorpe. Both know the area and the university and have had great success at schools that we should aspire to be like in TCU and Tulsa. And, most importantly, they are each available, both living at various places in the state of Texas right now.

Edited by untjim1995