The Wac Saga Continues

MeanGreen61

Know this stuff is getting old, but this is a post by TrojanBrutha on the Belt board. Wondering if UNT is being discussed in this scenario ?

Both the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News are reporting that BYU is still engaged in discussions with the Western Athletic Conference about possibly placing its nonfootball teams there. Commissioner Karl Benson told the Tribune on Friday evening: "Both sides are still working on a deal that will be beneficial to the WAC and to BYU."

Benson added that "nothing is imminent" but that an agreement is "still a possibility." The News reports that ESPN is a part of the discussions as well, according to a source.

The News' source told Jared Eborn that BYU pretty much remains committed to going independent in football (its No. 1 goal, according to the source, is to get out from under the Mountain West's TV contract), but that it could also keep its other teams in the MWC or remain a full member of the MWC if it gets concessions for BYUtv.

The source also said that ESPN and BYU are reaching out to MWC and Conference USA teams to gauge interest in jumping to the WAC. Eborn says that possible MWC defectors include Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico, and possible C-USA defectors include SMU, Houston and UTEP.

Everything has to happen by Sept. 1, so we don't have much longer to wait.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All those same sources said BYU was going to make their announcement last Monday. Then they realized the MWC is more valuable with with a 12th team and some BCS questions.

BYU doesn't want to go to the WAC or go solo, they just want to make more money.

• Upvote 1

Know this stuff is getting old, but this is a post by TrojanBrutha on the Belt board. Wondering if UNT is being discussed in this scenario ?

Both the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News are reporting that BYU is still engaged in discussions with the Western Athletic Conference about possibly placing its nonfootball teams there. Commissioner Karl Benson told the Tribune on Friday evening: "Both sides are still working on a deal that will be beneficial to the WAC and to BYU."

Benson added that "nothing is imminent" but that an agreement is "still a possibility." The News reports that ESPN is a part of the discussions as well, according to a source.

The News' source told Jared Eborn that BYU pretty much remains committed to going independent in football (its No. 1 goal, according to the source, is to get out from under the Mountain West's TV contract), but that it could also keep its other teams in the MWC or remain a full member of the MWC if it gets concessions for BYUtv.

The source also said that ESPN and BYU are reaching out to MWC and Conference USA teams to gauge interest in jumping to the WAC. Eborn says that possible MWC defectors include Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force and New Mexico, and possible C-USA defectors include SMU, Houston and UTEP.

Everything has to happen by Sept. 1, so we don't have much longer to wait.

Keep these gold nuggets coming, MG61! I've always enjoyed your online finds across the NCAA.

Shall we wonder if our UNT athletic consultant Chuck Neinas is indirectly involved in these discusions from a distance? To quote "The Fans" Grego Williams, "I HAVE A TWENTY DOLLAR BILL...."

Folks, if you think all this with BYU ends with the deadline of September 1'st you might want to know the Tooth Fairy will visit you tonight.(Don't extract a tooth just to insure it, though).

Any defections of schools in our region only gives us possible new opportunities. BYU has new high def broadcasting capabilities from their "Mormon broadcasting empire" and I think its just one of the things for their wanting to flex their TV muscle on a more national basis. For whatever reason, they don't seem pleased with the Mountain West Conference, either, but like so many of us, thats what it is for them at this moment in time.

You do have to give WAC Commish' Karl Benson a thumbs up as he just doesn't seem to want to give up on any of this BYU business. (I think BYU will eventually pull the trigger but not until next go around--they have a dream of more TV and more money and that dream will not disipate in the hot Utah sun, either. Doesn't greed have that kind of effect in other areas of life, too?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I still don't see BYU switching conferences so easily. I think they are just trying to see what kind and how much leverage they have. They think they are ND...it should bite them in the ass at some point.

I must disagree. I think that they have leverage over the MWC. They don't believe they are Notre Dame, otherwise, they would go independent and this would all be over. They are however, willing to go independent to get the TV coverage they want.

For being such a powerful conference now, the MWC has an awful TV contract, and not because of the money, but because of the network.

TCU seems to dislike the TV contract as much as BYU. I think ultimately it boils down to what was discussed in the first post. BYU must get TV concessions to stay in. Much like the Big 12 did with Texas. Most TCU fans would hate to see BYU go enough to be ok with giving concessions to them.

Since this move seems to be the big story in conference realignment right now, these are pretty decent reads for anyone interested. This site has also had some pretty good news on the MWC.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/28/1655563/wac-is-still-trying-to-lure-byu

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/28/1655342/both-nevada-fresno-intend-to-join

• Upvote 1

All those same sources said BYU was going to make their announcement last Monday. Then they realized the MWC is more valuable with with a 12th team and some BCS questions.

BYU doesn't want to go to the WAC or go solo, they just want to make more money.

It does have to do with money, but not immediately. BYU wants to be seen in more homes than those with versus or The MTN. It isn't all about the money at this point, it's about being seen in as many households across the country as possible for BYU. This Colorado blogger hits the nail on the head in his article:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010/08/25/byumwctv-saga-may-be-resolved-soon/12445/

"Unlike the proposed University of Texas network, BYU-TV isn’t a cash cow but a vehicle for spreading the Mormon faith."

I must disagree. I think that they have leverage over the MWC. They don't believe they are Notre Dame, otherwise, they would go independent and this would all be over. They are however, willing to go independent to get the TV coverage they want.

For being such a powerful conference now, the MWC has an awful TV contract, and not because of the money, but because of the network.

TCU seems to dislike the TV contract as much as BYU. I think ultimately it boils down to what was discussed in the first post. BYU must get TV concessions to stay in. Much like the Big 12 did with Texas. Most TCU fans would hate to see BYU go enough to be ok with giving concessions to them.

Since this move seems to be the big story in conference realignment right now, these are pretty decent reads for anyone interested. This site has also had some pretty good news on the MWC.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/28/1655563/wac-is-still-trying-to-lure-byu

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/28/1655342/both-nevada-fresno-intend-to-join

How long does the WAC & Benson have to figure out who they want to add to their league? Anyone?

TCU's Gary Patterson almost blew a gasket when he heard all this BYU/WAC possibilities and then said he had some inside on what would happen if BYU left or whatever. (Seems as if he were all but personally threatening BYU the way the article read).

Yet, I think the TCU coach semi-paniced when he saw one less perennial Top 25 school (BYU) in his league, ie, one of which a TCU win over the mormon school has helped him get to a BCS bowl. Without BYU in the MWC, TCU has to all but schedule a non-MWC Top 10-15 school which they'd have to beat to gain schedule respect. Just my 02.

How long does the WAC & Benson have to figure out who they want to add to their league? Anyone?

TCU's Gary Patterson almost blew a gasket when he heard all this BYU/WAC possibilities and then said he had some inside on what would happen if BYU left or whatever. (Seems as if he were all but personally threatening BYU the way the article read).

Yet, I think the TCU coach semi-paniced when he saw one less perennial Top 25 school (BYU) in his league, ie, one of which a TCU win over the mormon school has helped him get to a BCS bowl. Without BYU in the MWC, TCU has to all but schedule a non-MWC Top 10-15 school which they'd have to beat to gain schedule respect. Just my 02.

I don't know if the WAC and Benson have a time table. They will take whatever team wants to join them and whenever.

You are right though, TCU and Patterson do not want to see BYU go. Neither does the rest of that conference.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Boise leaving the WAC for the MntWest? So that tells me that BYU simply wants to be the big dog in a conference so that they can have all the power and influence. I currently live in UT and I must say that the vibe BYU puts out up here goes along with this idea. No disrespect to the school (which is incredible and I highly recommend visiting if you get a chance) but it tends to give off a pompous air about it.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if the WAC and Benson have a time table. They will take whatever team wants to join them and whenever.

You are right though, TCU and Patterson do not want to see BYU go. Neither does the rest of that conference.

Another wrinkle: The Mountain West Conference has been the one league that no one wanted to leave (or everyone wanted in) until BYU came up with their Indy/WAC song and dance. No matter what happens with BYU, it shows that there are some cracks even in the MWC dam.

Will still be interesting if BYU does leave in the next year or so (which I think they will); anyway, it will be interesting to watch the NCAA's version of musical chairs begin all over again among all schools trying to improve their conference setting.

For sure its a great time for UNT to have an ultra-modern football palace ready for 2011 and if this year's team gets our winning cycle back on track, it will be a great timing for UNT all around.

GMG!

"That the Cougars (BYU) would join a six-team WAC seems implausible, but reports have surfaced that the WAC and/or BYU have approached Houston, UTEP and SMU of Conference USA recently about their interest."

WAC expansion plan: Throw a big enough net out and hope to catch some tuna.

Looks like last-gasp attempts by Benson and Utah State have started. I'm surprised they didn't approach Notre Dame too. I still think after CUSA schools turn them down they will try and raid the Western SBC to secure another 5-6 teams. Otherwise, reality sets in and the "last resort" - calling FCS (1-AA) moveups to join. <_<

WW should fire off his own shot and invite NMSU and La Tech formally to the SBC.

Edited by NT80

Has anyone considered:

(1) Making an east-west division with the Sun Belt and WAC

(2) Just adding more teams to the WAC from I-AA and still calling it the WAC

(3) BYU going independent or back to the MWC or the Big 12

(4) North Texas going independent or joining the WAC as a travel partner

(5) Lousiana Tech joining the Conference USA

(6) Houston going to the Big 12

(7) Air Force going to the Big 12

(8) TCU going to the Big 12

(9) Arkansas State doing something

(10) UTEP and New Mexico State doing something

(11) Texas State and UTSA also doing something

(12) Democrats losing the House, Seante, and the majority of governerships

(13) Growing a Rollie Fingers mustache and becoming a barber and part-time popcorn vendor

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Has anyone considered:

(1) Making an east-west division with the Sun Belt and WAC

(2) Just adding more teams to the WAC from I-AA and still calling it the WAC

(3) BYU going independent or back to the MWC or the Big 12

(4) North Texas going independent or joining the WAC as a travel partner

(5) Lousiana Tech joining the Conference USA

(6) Houston going to the Big 12

(7) Air Force going to the Big 12

(8) TCU going to the Big 12

(9) Arkansas State doing something

(10) UTEP and New Mexico State doing something

(11) Texas State and UTSA also doing something

(12) Democrats losing the House, Seante, and the majority of governerships

(13) Growing a Rollie Fingers mustache and becoming a barber and part-time popcorn vendor

:rolleyes1::clapping:

The Utah State board is now reporting that the whole saga still isn't over:

Utah State Scout message board

USU has grand aspirations of being BYU's perpetual subservient fluffer, ala Baylor to Texas. Hopefully it all winds up being bad news for them, and they wind up destroyed and forced back to the Big Sky.

The USU AD wants a do-over with the MWC invite after fumbling on the goal line of their biggest potential win ever 10 days ago. Now USU posters think (hope) if BYU stays they can get the last spot in a 12 team MWC, or better yet some are predicting kicking out the weak ones in the MWC and adding a CUSA division (dreamers until it falls apart a second time too):

I'm just spitballing, but could it be that ESPN and the Borg have the influence to pull together something like:

Mountain:

byu

csu

usu

afa

wyo

bsu

Central:

tcu

latech

houston

utep

smu

unm

(sidenote: the above divisions are not my idea but a delusional poster on the above link).

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The USU AD wants a do-over with the MWC invite after fumbling on the goal line of their biggest potential win ever 10 days ago. Now USU posters think (hope) if BYU stays they can get the last spot in a 12 team MWC, or better yet some are predicting kicking out the weak ones in the MWC and adding a CUSA division (dreamers until it falls apart a second time too):

I'm just spitballing, but could it be that ESPN and the Borg have the influence to pull together something like:

Mountain:

byu

csu

usu

afa

wyo

bsu

Central:

tcu

latech

houston

utep

smu

unm

Replace Utah State with UNLV and remove La Tech and add Tulsa and you have a nice conference right there. UNT could then get into a league that would combine the best remaining schools in CUSA with the best schools in the SBC. That would be a nice conference upgrade.

LA TECH THINKS A WEAK WAC IS STILL BETTER THAN THE SBC.... these dudes are honest to god delusional at best! IMO i see the SBC picking up both La tech and NMSU... the wac can only survive if they add UTSA and TS@SM... and who knows the SB may be more intrested in pickin up UTSA or San Marcos... why would they want to join a 6 team wac and travel to Idaho, Hawaii, USU, and san jose... whatever happens i still think troy, unt, la tech, and mtsu have the best chance at getting into CUSA which to the WAC and SB should be a big upgrade! hopefully with the new stadium it will put on top... smu are the only ones who dont want us

just read this comment from one of the La Tech longtime bloggers on the la tech forum

---------------------

Bottom line is that it hasn't gotten to the point where it would benefit Tech monetarily to join the Sun Belt yet. But the difference in revenue is tightening... because the WAC is losing it's best football member and the Sun Belt is not. The Sun Belt is a more stable conference than the WAC because the MWC could eventually add Fresno State and Nevada or Hawaii if they want to expand in the future. If that happens, the WAC will cease to exist. Another point is that if Tech joined the Sun Belt, the Sun Belt would probably become the #3 Non-AQ BCS conference ahead of the WAC, which would make Sun Belt revenue surpass WAC revenue.

You have a valid question and I think what it boils down to is that Tech does not want to be in the same conference as ULM and therefore, we will stay in the WAC until the WAC no longer exists or an invitation to CUSA or another conference comes along.

......so i guess it comes down to them just not respecting ULM. i'd say let the two teams play and see who wins. my money would be on ULM

just read this comment from one of the La Tech longtime bloggers on the la tech forum

---------------------

Bottom line is that it hasn't gotten to the point where it would benefit Tech monetarily to join the Sun Belt yet. But the difference in revenue is tightening... because the WAC is losing it's best football member and the Sun Belt is not. The Sun Belt is a more stable conference than the WAC because the MWC could eventually add Fresno State and Nevada or Hawaii if they want to expand in the future. If that happens, the WAC will cease to exist. Another point is that if Tech joined the Sun Belt, the Sun Belt would probably become the #3 Non-AQ BCS conference ahead of the WAC, which would make Sun Belt revenue surpass WAC revenue.

You have a valid question and I think what it boils down to is that Tech does not want to be in the same conference as ULM and therefore, we will stay in the WAC until the WAC no longer exists or an invitation to CUSA or another conference comes along.

......so i guess it comes down to them just not respecting ULM. i'd say let the two teams play and see who wins. my money would be on ULM

LA TECH THINKS A WEAK WAC IS STILL BETTER THAN THE SBC.... these dudes are honest to god delusional at best! IMO i see the SBC picking up both La tech and NMSU... the wac can only survive if they add UTSA and TS@SM... and who knows the SB may be more intrested in pickin up UTSA or San Marcos... why would they want to join a 6 team wac and travel to Idaho, Hawaii, USU, and san jose... whatever happens i still think troy, unt, la tech, and mtsu have the best chance at getting into CUSA which to the WAC and SB should be a big upgrade! hopefully with the new stadium it will put on top... smu are the only ones who dont want us

Can you only imagine if UNT with all our super-mega modern facilities located on most impressive (strategicically placed) real estate (and pleny of it for future construction); anyway, wouldn't it be a shot heard round'some part of the NCAA world if UNT were to get the nod over La Tech for CUSA? And then more bad news for La Tech like.........the WAC disipates like a like a single raindrop in the hot Western U.S. sun? Then.......would it be time to send bus loads of shrinks and counselors to Ruston?

Honest to goodness, I almost feel sorry for La Tech's present predicament, but their overal arrogance & self-importance among many of their elect leaves it at the; that is, at the "almost feel sorry" stage for me.

It is very possible that CUSA could show no interest in either of our schools the way NCAA politics among some conferences are allowed to rear its ugly head during these re-alignment scenarios or discussions.

Yet, the best part in all this for UNT is that we no longer have to show potential conferences who might be interested in us just architectural renderings or photos of future athletic venues.

yeah i feel you plumeangreen, you prob realized long ago my wise guru..... im just now realizing how most of this is political man! I know UNT or La Tech may not either recieve invites to CUSA. it could be Troy or Temple... La Tech has been the benefitor of there WAC (and the "old WAC") affilition... and that has just gotten to there heads!! so much so that they say, "we're are above the Sun Belt!"... so when CUSA does add another member either North Texas or anyone but LT, The fans in Ruston will find themselves either in a post-apocolyptic WAC or lucky to be in the SBC. Either way these delusional cajuns will finally have to accept themselves for what they are... a team thats no better than atleast the upper echelon of the Sun Belt i.e( NT, MTSU, Troy) . they also got this thing with ULM... they are no better than them or Lafayette... JMO

La Techs only hope is that there "politics" can swing some kind of miracle.......but if you look around FBS there are all kinds of oddities look at...

Baylor Big 12

UAB CUSA

Wyoming MWC

Nevada MWC