Texas State, Utsa Now...Sam Houston State Is Talking Fbs

gangrene

SHSU exploring FBS opportunities: Bearkat athletic department conducted survey to determine feasibility of moving up down the road

This article is over a week old but I don't recall seeing it posted here anywhere. Maybe they should go ahead and invite SFA , SE Louisiana, Central Arkansas and Lamar, take the undesirables from the WAC, SBC and CUSA and form their own conference? That would instantly elevate the SBC in the football conference rankings and possibly create an opportunity for us to replace Tulane.

What's next? UTA will bring back football and join the Big XII? :unsure::rolleyes:

Why not? Both Sam and SFA have traditionally better athletic programs than UTSA and TSUSM. I don't blame teams for moving up, but I am afraid all its going to do is as the FB numbers mount is to hasten the Big Boys to try to drop a lot of bottom tier programs. As self serving and undemocratic as it is, I hope the NCAA stops this flow of teams moving up.

• Upvote 1

I hope when the 32 team Super WAC is formed....that we're not in the same division with Devry and The University of Phoenix. Those two upstarts have money, and are gonna be good really quickly.

Well, at least one of them has a great stadium....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Wonderful! Let's just get back in the old Southland where we belong :rolleyes: and go from there! Why did we leave that high toned thing in the first place if we just want to stand pat and avoid the evil mileage consuming and time zone bastardization of the WAC? I mean, why travel all the way to desolate places and backward newbie programs like they have in Honolulu, the Lake Tahoe area, and the Frisco area, when we can just hang out in nearby resort areas like Beaumont, Nacogdoches, Huntsville, and such? I mean, it just makes no since at all to run off to these far away unheard of programs when we have so much old D1A history right in our own neighborhood with almost negligible travel costs! Let's do it!! :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

Wonderful! Let's just get back in the old Southland where we belong :rolleyes: and go from there! Why did we leave that high toned thing in the first place if we just want to stand pat and avoid the evil mileage consuming and time zone bastardization of the WAC? I mean, why travel all the way to desolate places and backward newbie programs like they have in Honolulu, the Lake Tahoe area, and the Frisco area, when we can just hang out in nearby resort areas like Beaumont, Nacogdoches, Huntsville, and such? I mean, it just makes no since at all to run off to these far away unheard of programs when we have so much old D1A history right in our own neighborhood with almost negligible travel costs! Let's do it!! :ph34r:

ANOTHER READERS DIGEST LARGE PRINT EDITON:

Such subtle sarcasm, foutsrouts! LOL! I agree with your point, though.

Sometimes I feel some of our Mean Green elect want to play Robin Hood with schools (traditionally & perceptively below us) who really need to go through the same baptism of fire we've gone through post-Hayden Fry; that would be about 32 years now with a cast of thousands who have come & gone through Denton, Texas, America. It was almost like a Barnum & Baily pre-circus parade when you look back 30 plus years. Can some of us try to remember all those all but now faceless names who "honest to goodness" could not hold Fry's jock strap in coaching and leadership? I will cease on that subject now. It seems to have always stirred things up in the past }:>)

A new stadium can catapult us to better days, but its still who you hire (from the top to the bottom) that will make it or break it for the University of North Texas; at least, make it at the level befitting a school the size & scope of our alma mater. And hasn't it always been that way for schools that advance in the NCAA (or merely stay the same or even worse)?

CUSA talk just never will die on this board and so be it but.............I can't believe how many seem to have forgotten all the documented ugliness that came from our "friends" over in University Park last time that subject came around in a serious vein concerning UNT as a CUSA possibility. Hellsbells! Their Prez' all but went out of his way to say he would prefer LaTech over us--a fellow Texas school to boot. Anyone think that attitude has changed over night on the Hilltop? And wouldn't we need SMU's official nod to even have a snow ball's chance? Yet when you have one school going out of their way & actively working to blackball anotherh school for conference membership it seems to me that our chances diminish dramatically.

Now when that Day comes when the lamb lays down with the lion maybe all that with SMU will change then but when that Day comes, not sure anyone will be focussing on what conferences they'll be in. :innocent:

No matter what: GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't blame alot of these schools for wanting to move up. Its probably a good time for them to start looking at their options before the BcS big boys are able to successfully form their superconferences. Of course they don't expect to be included in the superconferences., but they can try to get into a mid level conference after some of the shakeups.

All the more reason to light a fire under our collective arses so they don't pass us.

• Upvote 1

This will make all of the Southland Conference and FCS lovers really happy. Let be in the same conference as Sam Houston, no football team UTSA, Texas State San Marcos, SFA, and whoever. That way we play teams we have a history with. Geeze! Now I know why Louisiana Tech always wanted to "separate" themselves from the Sun Belt. <_<

• Upvote 2

This will make all of the Southland Conference and FCS lovers really happy. Let be in the same conference as Sam Houston, no football team UTSA, Texas State San Marcos, SFA, and whoever. That way we play teams we have a history with. Geeze! Now I know why Louisiana Tech always wanted to "separate" themselves from the Sun Belt. <_<

I think UTSA football program kicks off this year.

I think UTSA football program kicks off this year.

UTSA already has Baylor on a future schedule. The SBC is not our problem --being competitive on the field with the SBC is the UNT problem. Until we can get the $$ to compete we will continue to get kicked by TROY (whom we are light years behind from a competitive standpoint), FAU (never ever been beaten by NT), MTSU who hired a coach that has kicked our rears ever year since,etc. Criticize the SBC if you must, just remember whose bringing up the rear in the SBC when you criticize. :o

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

UTSA already has Baylor on a future schedule. The SBC is not our problem --being competitive on the field with the SBC is the UNT problem. Until we can get the $$ to compete we will continue to get kicked by TROY (whom we are light years behind from a competitive standpoint), FAU (never ever been beaten by NT), MTSU who hired a coach that has kicked our rears ever year since,etc. Criticize the SBC if you must, just remember whose bringing up the rear in the SBC when you criticize. :o

it is not just about football. unt has finished third most years in the bubas all sports rankings. the bottom half of the conference is weak overall in everythiig.

Where did we get our low self-esteem? Do we have no pride in the University of North Texas? If we do then why must we put others down?

I must've missed something in the Golden Rule about putting down others because others put you down. I'm old and my memory may be fading but I can still remember that I wouldn't want to be treated the way that we treat Texas State, UTSA and others.

Sam Houston State is looking to see if it's possible to seek Division 1-A membership in the future. They haven't yet applied nor or there any assurances that they will. Or that any other Texas schools are also trying to jump to Division 1-A.

Texas State and UTSA have already ponied up to the maximum, $20 per semester hour. They will soon have larger budgets than North Texas. Nor is either a tiny school; each has a student enrollment of around 30,000. Texas State has played 898 games in their history, winning 479 for a winning percentage of .549. That winning percentage is 44th in Division 1-AA and the highest in Texas. They have earned their spurs for moving up and why not help them? Wouldn't we want the same for us if the roles were reversed?

I'm not sold on UTSA yet. They have a good market city, a reknowned coach and a great stadium, even if it's not on campus. I would not advocate including them at the first opportunity. We need to see how they progress. And yes, Texas State can't be included until next year anyway. But with the money to attract a decent coach they can be a formidable foe and a good rival for the future.

They would be included only if we decided on the WAC or elected to stay in the Belt. We have no leverage to include them in any bid for CUSA.

I do agree that the best way for any of this to happen is to win.

• Upvote 1

Where did we get our low self-esteem? Do we have no pride in the University of North Texas? If we do then why must we put others down?

I must've missed something in the Golden Rule about putting down others because others put you down. I'm old and my memory may be fading but I can still remember that I wouldn't want to be treated the way that we treat Texas State, UTSA and others.

Sam Houston State is looking to see if it's possible to seek Division 1-A membership in the future. They haven't yet applied nor or there any assurances that they will. Or that any other Texas schools are also trying to jump to Division 1-A.

Texas State and UTSA have already ponied up to the maximum, $20 per semester hour. They will soon have larger budgets than North Texas. Nor is either a tiny school; each has a student enrollment of around 30,000. Texas State has played 898 games in their history, winning 479 for a winning percentage of .549. That winning percentage is 44th in Division 1-AA and the highest in Texas. They have earned their spurs for moving up and why not help them? Wouldn't we want the same for us if the roles were reversed?

I'm not sold on UTSA yet. They have a good market city, a reknowned coach and a great stadium, even if it's not on campus. I would not advocate including them at the first opportunity. We need to see how they progress. And yes, Texas State can't be included until next year anyway. But with the money to attract a decent coach they can be a formidable foe and a good rival for the future.

They would be included only if we decided on the WAC or elected to stay in the Belt. We have no leverage to include them in any bid for CUSA.

I do agree that the best way for any of this to happen is to win.

Let see NT has gotten a lot of help from its Texas brothers in trying to move up the athletic ladder. I think NT should help TSUSM and UTSA as well as sponcer Sam, SFA, and Lamar's move up. Maybe we can even convince UTA to reinstate football. To heck with a new SWC, NT can be the bell cow in establishing a new FB division Southland.

I have never faulted SMU for their determination to keep their distance from NT, only their clumsy attempts to hide their intent. I think any fan that believes the proliferation of more Texas fb division schools is good for NT is dilutional. They will compete for media coverage, fans, recruits and they will lower guarantees of money games and ncaa revenue sharing. They will also only hasten the day when the "bigs" decide there are just too many barely hanging on schools around and will make moves to cull the "have nots" from the herd.

As far as budgets, are you sure that theirs will be higher than NT's. NT still has more students and their max is the same as NT. They may be able to get to the max faster, but all are limited to $20 per hour and all start at a lower figure. Their advantage is that the majority of their fees won't have to be spend on a stadium. However, a new on campus stadium also should be an advantage for NT.

Where in the hell did you see anything about helping SFA, Lamar, UTA et al? This is about Texas State ONLY. They have paid their dues, literally and figuratively. Their being in the conference would help our attendance and reduce our costs. Is that that difficult to understand?

I do fault SMU for dodging us and trying to keep us out of CUSA. I don't care where they are open or subtle the results are the same. However, if we are friends with the other members it won't matter what SMU does. I don't know how much influence SMU can muster; maybe enough to keep us out and maybe not but I'm tired of hearing about their hatred for us. Truth is, we probably hate them more than they hate us but they're easier to blame for our failings.

Texas State got the jump on us and went for the highest amount that could be done under state law. We didn't go for the max because we didn't want the stadium to fail. I'm sure that we will eventually catch up with them in amount but it'll take a long while to match their total. The reason? We may have fewer undergrads than they will after UNT Dallas is removed from our total this fall. We have about 3,000 more graduate students but they take half the hours of the undergrads.

Let see NT has gotten a lot of help from its Texas brothers in trying to move up the athletic ladder. I think NT should help TSUSM and UTSA as well as sponcer Sam, SFA, and Lamar's move up. Maybe we can even convince UTA to reinstate football. To heck with a new SWC, NT can be the bell cow in establishing a new FB division Southland.

I have never faulted SMU for their determination to keep their distance from NT, only their clumsy attempts to hide their intent. I think any fan that believes the proliferation of more Texas fb division schools is good for NT is dilutional. They will compete for media coverage, fans, recruits and they will lower guarantees of money games and ncaa revenue sharing. They will also only hasten the day when the "bigs" decide there are just too many barely hanging on schools around and will make moves to cull the "have nots" from the herd.

As far as budgets, are you sure that theirs will be higher than NT's. NT still has more students and their max is the same as NT. They may be able to get to the max faster, but all are limited to $20 per hour and all start at a lower figure. Their advantage is that the majority of their fees won't have to be spend on a stadium. However, a new on campus stadium also should be an advantage for NT.

Bobcat Stadium 2012.

Capacity 24500

My link

We are expanding our stadium every off season. We are building a brand New Track and Field stadium this summer and removing the track from the football stadium in the fall 2010. Construction of the North Endzone scheduled to start Winter (Jan Feb) 2011 and should be ready for Fall 2011. Final Expansion will take our stadium to over 35000.

Past

wacker-field-750x300.jpg

Present

Front of New West Side Expansion

West-Side-Complex.jpg

View Tour here

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/view.gal?id=53113

The Jerry D. and Linda Gregg Fields Bobcat Stadium West Side Complex includes the addition of a Legacy Suite Level and Champions Club Level with a total cost of $17 million.

The architect-engineering firm for the expansion is O'Connell Robertson and Associates, the contractor is Austin Commercial and the project manager is Broaddus and Associates.

The Legacy Suite Level includes 15 suites. Each of the suites feature 12 permanent seats and four bar stools. Amenities include season tickets to home games, full kitchenettes, refrigerators and cabinets, a flat-screen television, operable windows that open and close for climate-controlled comfort, four VIP parking passes, and a suite attendant to ensure that Bobcat fans and their guests have the experience of a lifetime. Each suite also contains an elegant plaque that recognizes the contributions to the Bobcat football program.

The Champions Club Level features 450 club seats. The club level includes covered, outdoor seating and also an indoor banquet-style area with tables and additional seating. Packages include pre-game food and game tickets with pricing tied to seat location.

This is the entrance on the right side of the picture below.

This is what our stadium should look like when it's complete.

TxSt-BobcatStadium-Masterplan.jpg

And if your interested in Baseball/Softball here is what our baseball softball complex looks like.

We opened it with UT Austin

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/view.gal?id=43827

Edited by TXST_CAT

Shoot, if they are going to have this for fall 2011

4736190880_f6d30943d6.jpg

then we should be talking to the WAC about bringing us along with TSU. The reason why many don't want the WAC is travel, but its not going to be THAT much different in the WAC..

UTSA needs to win a few games first, but I am sold on TSU joining us on anywhere but CUSA.

Where in the hell did you see anything about helping SFA, Lamar, UTA et al? This is about Texas State ONLY. They have paid their dues, literally and figuratively. Their being in the conference would help our attendance and reduce our costs. Is that that difficult to understand?

I do fault SMU for dodging us and trying to keep us out of CUSA. I don't care where they are open or subtle the results are the same. However, if we are friends with the other members it won't matter what SMU does. I don't know how much influence SMU can muster; maybe enough to keep us out and maybe not but I'm tired of hearing about their hatred for us. Truth is, we probably hate them more than they hate us but they're easier to blame for our failings.

Texas State got the jump on us and went for the highest amount that could be done under state law. We didn't go for the max because we didn't want the stadium to fail. I'm sure that we will eventually catch up with them in amount but it'll take a long while to match their total. The reason? We may have fewer undergrads than they will after UNT Dallas is removed from our total this fall. We have about 3,000 more graduate students but they take half the hours of the undergrads.

Whoa, never heard of exaggeration to make a point. I am not so sure, TSUSM would either save money or increase attendance. Their game would have to replace another game, this year for example Rice or KSU; they would not be near the draw either of those teams are. Them on the schedule would also eliminate one spot for a possible money game. I guess you can assume that the TSUSM game will replace another far away conference game but there is no guarantee of that. I have been to a number of SWT and NT games, I guess I did not notice the swell of additional spectators. I suppose I am as capable as anyone to assess costs and benefits; I guess I can ask you the same question about competition. The facts are right now, NT is at the bottom of Texas FB school in recruiting and influence, so any move ups are going to initially effect NT the most. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

I am not sure why you think TSUSM has paid their dues anymore than any other fb wannabe. I really think UTSA would be the horse to back if you must back anyone.

Both UTSA and TSUSM are starting at $10 per hour and will increase by $2 annually until they get to the current state max of $20. NT's additional fees will only start with the stadium completion and can only be raised 10% a year. I don't know about TSUSM but UTSA is capped at 12 hours a semester, so NT fees per student could be actually greater in the future.

As far as putting others down and not having pride in NT, really how did you come up with that? There is a big difference in assessing a situation and stating your view and putting someone down. In fact, you could interpret not wanting to aid the competition, as being very cognizant of their potential. Your analysis indicates to you, that NT should support TSUSM because it is the right thing to do and NT will ultimately benefit. My view is I have nothing against TSUSM or the other fc schools trying to move up but I don't think adding additional Texas teams to the

fb division is in the best interest of NT. I am not sure how this equates with putting down others and/or not having pride in your school, but I guess I will have to live with your opinion.