The Case For And Against The Wac

MeanGreen61

Bobcat fan here and I can't help but notice the chatter about the WAC. We are having similar conversation on Bobcatfans and the WAC fan forum is doing the same. I think this is a great opportunity for both TXST and UNT. Some of us feel if the WAC adds three Texas teams it will push the Belt East and split the Texas mid majors between CUSA and the WAC. This could spark conference rivalry much like the WAC and MWC. Let's face it, CUSA will not add another Texas team unless the current Texas members bail. So why not start a WAC East that can rival CUSA for ESPN money and Fans.

My friend, Texas State and all the other Div I-AA schools will not be part of this realignment. Why? Because financial viability will be a huge concern for the NCAA. They just addedd the conference affiliation rule for moving up. You don't add more rules if you want teams to transition up. They want FBS to stay at 120 teams (121 when So. Alabama finishes its transition).

• Upvote 1

No, the WAC is considered a mid major. The only "major" basketball conferences are the Big 6 and the A-10 & maybe CUSA.

(and even with those last two - they're often refered to as middies)

NOT EXACTLY CORRECT

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Great West, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast.

NOT EXACTLY CORRECT

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Great West, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast.

Try watching ESPN basketball coverage sometimes. They'll still refer to the WAC as a mid major. I'd rather be in WCC than the WAC - and the WCC(the league with far more success come March) is considered the middie? Yeah right

Edited by CMJ

First of all, you assume the H-Bowl stays Wacy. According to both the Honolulu paper and the Boise paper, they are not likely to once the current contract expires.

Second, the Hawai'i Bowl is for Hawai'i and has said repeatedly if Hawai'i skips it two years in a row the Hawi'i Bowl is bankrupt.

Third, there is an assumption there will be 4 Wacy teams that are bowl eligible. Taking Boise out, that has happened twice since 2005-06. In 2007-08, without Boise there would have been only 2 Wacy teams bowl eligible.

Try watching ESPN basketball coverage sometimes. They'll still refer to the WAC as a mid major. I'd rather be in WCC than the WAC - and the WCC(the league with far more success come March) is considered the middie? Yeah right

I give up te site that rates mid-majors is incorrect. Bummer, they need to be notified.

In 2007-08, without Boise there would have been only 2 Wacy teams bowl eligible.

And without Boise, most of those WAC teams get an extra win. Nevada is possibly 7-6 instead of 6-7. Impossible to say with any certainty how many would be eligible without Boise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My guess is the league asked not to be included in the Mid Major poll.

I really doubt there is a choice. PS: someone needs to notify the Muts coach who is on the voting panel.

VOTING PANEL: Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Will Brown (Albany), Rick Byrd (Belmont), Dave Calloway (Monmouth), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), Steve Donahue (Cornell), Anthony Evans (Norfolk State), James Fox (Davidson), Mike Gillian (Longwood), Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan), Dick Hunsaker (Utah Valley), Eddie Jackson (American), Kerry Keating (Santa Clara) *, Billy Kennedy (Murray State), Tod Kowalczyk (UW-Green Bay), Jim Larranaga (George Mason), Jim Les (Bradley), Mike Lonergan (Vermont), Bob Marlin (Sam Houston State), Gregg Marshall (Wichita State), Tom Moore (Quinnipiac), Jimmy Patsos (Loyola MD), Tom Pecora (Hofstra), Vann Pettaway (Alabama A&M), Rick Scruggs (Gardner-Webb), John Shulman (Chattanooga), Brad Stevens (Butler), Gary Stewart (UC Davis), Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts), Wayne Tinkle (Montana), Ernie Zeigler (Central Michigan)

* Santa Clara head coach Kerry Keating is the chairman of the Top 25 voting panel for the 2008-09 season.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I really doubt there is a choice. PS: someone needs to notify the Muts coach who is on the voting panel.

I am pretty sure if no coach agrees to be involved in the voting, and they ask to be removed, they would be. The WAC hasn't had the best of luck in the NCAA tournament in some time(and lately typically gets 1 team in). There is no reason they would be considered a major conference.

I am pretty sure if no coach agrees to be involved in the voting, and they ask to be removed, they would be. The WAC hasn't had the best of luck in the NCAA tournament in some time(and lately typically gets 1 team in). There is no reason they would be considered a major conference.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Here's the last ten years.

(2) 12's

(1) 11

(1) 14

(2) 7 & 13

(2) 5, 12

(2) 9, 11

(2) 10, 13

(1) 15

(2) 10, 12

(2) 12's

That is NOT a major conference representation. So in the last decade schools from the WAC were favored in 2 first round games, and never got more than two in the dance in any year. That is NOT a major conference. No way, no how.

It is a very respectable mid major league tho.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Sun Belt will NEVER pass anyone in terms of perception. Ever.

"Build the Belt" is a dream that teams cling to while they wait by the phone. The Sun Belt will always be an entry-level position for teams moving up or moving down the FBS ladder.

If WAC travel is going to hit us hard... hey, looks like we need to have the BOR consider the first increase of the athletic fee!

+10

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Here's the last ten years.

(2) 12's

(1) 11

(1) 14

(2) 7 & 13

(2) 5, 12

(2) 9, 11

(2) 10, 13

(1) 15

(2) 10, 12

(2) 12's

That is NOT a major conference representation. So in the last decade schools from the WAC were favored in 2 first round games, and never got more than two in the dance in any year. That is NOT a major conference. No way, no how.

It is a very respectable mid major league tho.

CMJ, again let's just agree to disagree. Until I see them listed in the Mid-Majors, I will continue to view them as major. Perception and finishing around the Top Ten conferences in the country probably have something to do with it. Last year they had FOUR teams that were ranked higher than any team in the Sun Belt. Utah State, Nevada, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. They may not deserve to be there but maybe perception has something to do with it. Over and out.

Edited by MeanGreen61

CMJ, again let's just agree to disagree. Until I see them listed in the Mid-Majors, I will continue to view them as major. Perception and finishing around the Top Ten conferences in the country probably have something to do with it. Last year they had FOUR, repeat FOUR teams that were ranked higher than any team in the Sun Belt. Utah State, Nevada, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. My last on this subject.

Four teams in the RPI top 100 don't make a conference a Major. Being in the top 10 doesn't either for that matter. Major conferences equals multiple bids to the Dance and teams that can make a run when they get there. I don't think a WAC school has had a deep run in several years, and they've been few and far between for a decade.

Averaging under 2 bids a season with a deep run(and by deep I mean to the Sweet 16 or further) about once every 5 years is not a major conference.

Last year they had FOUR teams that were ranked higher than any team in the Sun Belt. Utah State, Nevada, New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech. They may not deserve to be there and maybe perception has something to do with it.

Not a qualification for major status. The WAC has never, in the current era of the BCS, been considered a major basketball conference.

Not a qualification for major status. The WAC has never, in the current era of the BCS, been considered a major basketball conference.

BCS has nothing to do with basketball. I'm done.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

BCS has nothing to do with basketball. I'm done.

None of the WAC schools, despite making the big dance, drew a top 25 vote in the final poll.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

During the duration of the season, from what I can tell, only Utah State and Louisiana Tech got top 25 votes. Neither got more than 12 AP Poll votes and 24 ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll votes though. At least CUSA and MWC can beat their chest about getting someone into the top 25 of both polls and deeper into the tournament.

So much for the WAC being a "major" conference. If they are a major, they are by far the weakest.

Edited by UNTFan23