This Bothers Me

DeepGreen

I watched the spring football game on MGSports. I'm glad they provided the game live on the internet.

During halftime, or some other lull in the game for a commercial break, the screen rolled through the names of the stadium donors. I'm not sure if this was a list of the "major" donors, suite buyers, club level donors or simply anyone who sent in money specifically for the stadium. Eight names would appear on each screen, and by my estimate, 10 or so screens appeared. Roughly 80 to 100 names of donors to the stadium.

If this is the number of actual donors, UNT Alumni should be ashamed for not stepping up to the plate. Where are the 100,000 alumni in the DFW area when you need them? We want a top level football program and facilities but are unwilling to do what it takes financially to get us there. Yes, times are tough, but all UNT Alumni must help the cause, whatever the level of donation.

If I misread what I saw on the screen, someone please correct me. 80-100 donors won't cut it even if the stadium is being going up.

:(

• Upvote 1

I agree with you but at the same time you have to realize that for years and years UNT did nothing to keep alumni tied to the university. It wasnt until the last 6 to 8 years or so that they have really tried to make the UNT experience one that most students will remember and want to be a part of for the rest of their lives. I was at UNT from 1996 to 2002. When I got there during the Matt Simon era I remember being at the football games with absolutely no tailgating, about 3,000 fans in the stands and very little school spirit. The ties to your college team are emotional and unfortunately many of our 100,000 plus alumni pass through during times when UNT was just a place to get a degree and not the full college community and experience that it is now. Thats what keeps people involved and coming back.

• Upvote 3

I agree with you but at the same time you have to realize that for years and years UNT did nothing to keep alumni tied to the university. It wasnt until the last 6 to 8 years or so that they have really tried to make the UNT experience one that most students will remember and want to be a part of for the rest of their lives. I was at UNT from 1996 to 2002. When I got there during the Matt Simon era I remember being at the football games with absolutely no tailgating, about 3,000 fans in the stands and very little school spirit. The ties to your college team are emotional and unfortunately many of our 100,000 plus alumni pass through during times when UNT was just a place to get a degree and not the full college community and experience that it is now. Thats what keeps people involved and coming back.

yes this. the detached alumni will not just call in and offer money. plus there is a recession going on and many folks out of work right now. they must be contacted and sold on a program that has not won since 2004. that takes time and communication. unt has changed fundraisers how many times recently? that does not help when the fundraisers keep changing and a new person has to learn names all over again. i know some stadium donors who were not listed on the scrimmage list. but you are right the total is way too small for a program that wants to be big time.

Edited by LoveMG
  • Upvote 1

I think what some may be missing here is that the efforts at fund raising so far extend only to buyers of Plaza level Seating, Boxes, naming rights, etc., etc. That is, for the "larger donor base". To my knowledge there has been no effort as yet to market to the $1,000 and below donor which would make that list you saw much much larger. I think we all need to "take a deep breath" here and give the dept time to roll out plans for the "general campaign". I would think (for me personally) that the time to roll it out to the general public was some time ago, but I am not in charge of that time table. With what "limited resources" I am told the dept has each time I "question" either seriously or jokingly what PR and marketing is done, it is understandable that primary effort at this time go to the "bigger donors". I will admit that my name was not on that list as my bride and I are still "considering" what we can and will do...BUT, rest assured we WILL be stadium donors. I suspect that many people are in the same boat at this time.

I do not believe that the "general population" has been provided any indication of what "giving levels" there might be below the $5,000 per year for 5 years level for Plaza seating and above, etc. Right now I don't know what "level" we will end up with, but we will be donors of as large an amount as we can handle right now given our other obligations and the fact that this will be all "on us"...no way we have the opportunity to fund the donations through a business entity for tax purposes, etc. I wish we did, as it would be nice to get a bit of help from "Uncle" over what an individual contribution will do for you come tax time. However, a donation is a donation whether it comes from AT&T, a local business or an individual and all are needed. We will be adding our names to the list of donors soon enough...just haven't figured it all out as yet...I don't think the athletic dept. has either, but we both will...and that's the good news.

Don't get excited as yet. I think we will all be pleased when the full campaign gets rolling. When that will be...don't know, but I am certain it is being handled.

Thanks to all who have already been able to make that decision and to help with a donation or a commitment. Can't wait to join you!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

I think what some may be missing here is that the efforts at fund raising so far extend only to buyers of Plaza level Seating, Boxes, naming rights, etc., etc. That is, for the "larger donor base". To my knowledge there has been no effort as yet to market to the $1,000 and below donor which would make that list you saw much much larger. I think we all need to "take a deep breath" here and give the dept time to roll out plans for the "general campaign". I would think (for me personally) that the time to roll it out to the general public was some time ago, but I am not in charge of that time table. With what "limited resources" I am told the dept has each time I "question" either seriously or jokingly what PR and marketing is done, it is understandable that primary effort at this time go to the "bigger donors". I will admit that my name was not on that list as my bride and I are still "considering" what we can and will do...BUT, rest assured we WILL be stadium donors. I suspect that many people are in the same boat at this time.

Nope, this a completely valid question and you have every right to ask what fundraising has planned at all levels. The PR and Marketing departments don't drive this, but they will help fundraising execute it once they are given marching orders. See, much like an NT senior finishing his business policy project, you're starting to learn about how it all works together! I'm proud of you.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Nope, this a completely valid question and you have every right to ask what fundraising has planned at all levels. The PR and Marketing departments don't drive this, but they will help fundraising execute it once they are given marching orders. See, much like an NT senior finishing his business policy project, you're starting to learn about how it all works together! I'm proud of you.

Now that's funny!

I watched the spring football game on MGSports. I'm glad they provided the game live on the internet.

During halftime, or some other lull in the game for a commercial break, the screen rolled through the names of the stadium donors. I'm not sure if this was a list of the "major" donors, suite buyers, club level donors or simply anyone who sent in money specifically for the stadium. Eight names would appear on each screen, and by my estimate, 10 or so screens appeared. Roughly 80 to 100 names of donors to the stadium.

If this is the number of actual donors, UNT Alumni should be ashamed for not stepping up to the plate. Where are the 100,000 alumni in the DFW area when you need them? We want a top level football program and facilities but are unwilling to do what it takes financially to get us there. Yes, times are tough, but all UNT Alumni must help the cause, whatever the level of donation.

If I misread what I saw on the screen, someone please correct me. 80-100 donors won't cut it even if the stadium is being going up.

:(

Three causes for lack of names:

1) MANDY

2) (How much do you need to give)More than likely a minimum is needed. Cant just drop a few bucks and say youre a supporter.

3) The alumni ourselves. We could do so much more to support athletics. The admin normally takes the fall, but I ran into plenty of alumni who would not give me the time or day to talk football shop.

Edited by GreenStreet