It's Official

NT03

Middle Tennessee, North Texas and Troy all have identical 13-5 records. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss percentage of the tied teams against each other is first considered. Troy holds a 2-1 record, North Texas holds a 1-1 record and Middle Tennessee holds a 1-2 record. Troy is therefore the No. 1 seed. As the West Division Champion, North Texas earns the No. 2 seed and Middle Tennessee is the No. 3 seed.

The above is totally lame. They are not making a 1 to 1 comparison. We've played each of the East teams (Middle and Troy) once whereas Troy and Middle have played each other twice and us once. The Sun Belt must come up with a better, more equitable comparison.

I should have known as soon as it was obvious that we could end up tied with Troy and MTSU (the kings of the Sun Belt Co-Championship) that this wasn't going to end well for us.

So angry. So, so angry...

Please explain to me how we are in a bad spot? We are up against the winner of ULL or ULM (both we have just beat) and MTU is against FIU or Denver (beaten by FIU).

With Troy they play FAU (Who kicked the crap outta them) or USA (which also beat them). If anyone should be nervous it shouldn't be us. If Troy wins that game...WKU will likely play Troy and they last time they met if didn't work out for them (Troy).

So.....the way I see it....we still have a strong chance of winning the East and WKU winning the West (as the pre-season predicted) Only Time and Faith will tell.

Lets Go Mean Green...Bring it Home!

Please explain to me how we are in a bad spot? We are up against the winner of ULL or ULM (both we have just beat) and MTU is against FIU or Denver (beaten by FIU).

With Troy they play FAU (Who kicked the crap outta them) or USA (which also beat them). If anyone should be nervous it shouldn't be us. If Troy wins that game...WKU will likely play Troy and they last time they met if didn't work out for them (Troy).

So.....the way I see it....we still have a strong chance of winning the East and WKU winning the West (as the pre-season predicted) Only Time and Faith will tell.

Lets Go Mean Green...Bring it Home!

Because we would have been guaranteed at least a post-season birth in the NIT if we were regular season champs.

With the way league play has gone, anything is possible in this tournament.

Edited by UNT90

I should have known as soon as it was obvious that we could end up tied with Troy and MTSU (the kings of the Sun Belt Co-Championship) that this wasn't going to end well for us.

So angry. So, so angry...

While it's easy to be angry, the fact is all three of us lost 5 games and finished in a tie. When you get yourself in that situation you are at the mercy of the fates. The reason to be angry is losing to FIU, a very bad basketball team which finished with a 4-14 conf record and lost 24 overall.

Besides, when we complain about tie breakers we sound like Mack Brown, and I don't like Mack Brown. Just as in Mack's situation, if the rule were written differently the outcome would be different. But the core problem is we didn't take care of business, and lost a game we should have won.

While it's easy to be angry, the fact is all three of us lost 5 games and finished in a tie. When you get yourself in that situation you are at the mercy of the fates. The reason to be angry is losing to FIU, a very bad basketball team which finished with a 4-14 conf record and lost 24 overall.

Besides, when we complain about tie breakers we sound like Mack Brown, and I don't like Mack Brown. Just as in Mack's situation, if the rule were written differently the outcome would be different. But the core problem is we didn't take care of business, and lost a game we should have won.

I know you're right (though MTSU lost to FIU, too), but it still burns me that we lost the NIT guarantee and the outright title because of unbalanced scheduling and a conference that can't apply tiebreakers in a way that compensates for it.

We played the 3 top teams in the East on the road this year. Two of them, we beat. The third, we only lost to because we had what would have been a layup stolen away with 44 seconds left and no foul was called.

We had the same record as Troy and we beat them heads up at their house. But they win the tiebreaker? Because of the division runner up somehow factoring into the equation? It's infuriating.

• Upvote 1

I know you're right (though MTSU lost to FIU, too), but it still burns me that we lost the NIT guarantee and the outright title because of unbalanced scheduling and a conference that can't apply tiebreakers in a way that compensates for it.

We played the 3 top teams in the East on the road this year. Two of them, we beat. The third, we only lost to because we had what would have been a layup stolen away with 44 seconds left and no foul was called.

We had the same record as Troy and we beat them heads up at their house. But they win the tiebreaker? Because of the division runner up somehow factoring into the equation? It's infuriating.

Yes it is.

Question,

Isn't this the second or third time we've gotten the shaft in some way from this conference? The others being the times we have had to rearrange our schedule in football?

If so, to me that's a lack of standing up to the conference and Wright Waters. And we may have and just haven't heard about it yet from Vitto? But as one of our other alumni has stated already, this time it's a done deal. But along the way during this process if we were to have raised holy hell about it they may think twice about it the next time?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

After mtsu won their game, I didn't expect us to get the 1seed, or NIT bid anyway. We had a great regular season, and are the hottest team going into Hot Springs. Lets focus on the positives.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

Let's just win the G Damn Sun Belt Tournament and send Troy to the NIT. It's not the end of the world. NT has the best team in the Sun Belt. Now it's time to prove it.

• Upvote 2

Question,

Isn't this the second or third time we've gotten the shaft in some way from this conference? The others being the times we have had to rearrange our schedule in football?

If so, to me that's a lack of standing up to the conference and Wright Waters. And we may have and just haven't heard about it yet from Vitto? But as one of our other alumni has stated already, this time it's a done deal. But along the way during this process if we were to have raised holy hell about it they may think twice about it the next time?

Rick

I don't know about the football scheduling things but the tie-breaker rule has been on the book for some timne, certainly more than just this past week, and could not have been aimed at us.

• Upvote 2