Best Crop Ever Of High School Recruits From Denton?

NT80

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_signingdayadvance_0203.ddd71128.html

Denton's high school coaches say there has been a "traffic jam" of FBS coaches flocking to Denton to talk to potential recruits yet no mention of UNT making any inroads to it's own hometown talent. I know most kids don't want to stay home but you would think some would be interested in an offer to the local FBS football program.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I see nothing wrong at all with the class that has signed with UNT. I really do not care where they come from. By the way, several local kids have signed LOI's with the Mean Green, just not from Denton.

The class TD and staff have put together is one we can all be proud of and we should congratulate TD and staff on the job they did.

GO MEAN GREEN...exciting day for the Mean Green!

When was the last time UNT did not sign at least one player in the Dallas Morning News Area Top 100?

Don't know...don't really care. This class looks just fine to me, and they seem to fill some holes for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think its probably more of a disadvantage of being located in Denton than it is a advantage when it comes to trying to get these local kids to stay home. What 18 year old kid wants mom & dad looking over his every move ? Boys need to become men at sometime and what better way than to go live hours away with hot coeds and drunken parties.

That being said I think UNT should still have a strong showing in all the Denton schools offering every single DI recruit on the market , because u never know who just might get homesick.

• Upvote 1

You cannot prove that we do not visit in-town schools or seek in town recruits. Denton Ryan has a quaterback about to enter his sophomore year, who I am told is big fast and very promising, named Leftwich. Do you think that our current staff, if still in place when he is a senior, and if he lives up to the glowing reports I hear about him, will be recruiting him? Do you think any members of our current staff are well acquainted with the coaches at Denton programs? Or do you really know at all?

When was the last time UNT did not sign at least one player in the Dallas Morning News Area Top 100?

When was the last time UNT did not sign at least one player in the DMN Area Top 100, while Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette DID?? Answer: 2010

Louisiana-Lafayette - according to today's DMN got Aaron Spikes, RB from Pinkston and #75 DFW area prospect, to switch his commitment from Texas Tech at the last minute. Spikes also had offers from Kansas State, LaTech, SMU, TCU and Utah. Rivals doesn't show an offer from TTech, so I wonder if they pulled it? His remaining offers were impressive nonetheless.

Louisiana-Monroe - according to today's DMN got Josh Allen, OL from Cedar Hill and #55 DFW area prospect, to switch his commitment from Minnesota. Rivals doesn't show that he had any other offers. Louisiana-Monroe also got LOIs from area players Demierre Burkett, OL West Mesquite, Vincent Eddie, DB Desoto, Darius Lively, DL Lancaster and Luke Russell, WR Denton Guyer.

Louisiana Tech - according to today's DMN got Antonio Burton, DB from Denton Guyer and #91 DFW area prospect, to switch his commitment from Kansas. As with Spikes, Rivals doesn't show that this prospect had an offer from the school he de-committed from. However, like Spikes, he still had some good offers (Arizona, Tulsa and UTEP). LaTech also got LOIs from area players Anthony Garner, LB South Oak Cliff, Kendall Hayes, DB Lancaster and Carter Street, DE Pilot Point.

Also, the DMN published their DFW Top 50 list for 2011. Unfortunately, we're not currently being considered by any of these players and, unfortunately SMU is being considered by 12 of the 50. But, speaking of SMU, I did take some personal satisfaction in seeing that 2010 DFW area Top 100 Don Canyon, QB (#93) Lincoln, de-committed from SMU to go to Northwestern State.

The good news is that national signing day 2011 is a LONG time away. If we can somehow manage a winning record in 2010, coupled with the opening of the new stadium, recruiting could really improve.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps UNT recruited the players they wanted to recruit. Perhaps they contacted each and every one of the listed players and were told to "not waste their time" as they planned to go elsewhere. Perhaps the staff knows where best to spend its time. And, on and on and on. Who really knows. I, too, very much wish UNT would stock up on local talent as that also brings "rears to the seats" for home games. But, I have to believe that the staff does its homework and knows the local talent as well as any other program.

I saw where Guyer's current QB committed to Oklahoma State. Does anyone here think he was not contacted by UNT on more than one occasion? It might be a good "study" to see how many top players in the Stillwater, OK area and the Norman, Ok area, and Columbus, Ohio and Seattle, WA and Los Angeles, CA, etc. sign with "local" programs. Research shouldn't be that hard. I don't have the time or desire, but perhaps someone does. Might be a good "term paper" for someone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1