Obama, Justice Dept Will Take On Bcs

UNTflyer

The president, congress, and any other government agency need to deal with the problems they were elected/appointed for – not college/professional football.

The President, being the head of the law enforcement end of govt (the executive branch) has every right under the constitution to investigate (or not) any criminal activity with probable cause.

Congress on the other hand, really has no ability to weigh in on the matter unless it is affecting interstate commerce, but they would also need an investigation first, so what's the harm?

Personally, I would love for the president to get involved in an investigation in this matter. The more he focuses here, perhaps the less he'll focus on law making issues, theoretically beyond his job description.

• Upvote 1

I don't see where my political views play in to this. But, if you want to talk about equal opportunity.

There was this school in Denton that had been playing football for nearly a century. They were in a non-aq conference.

There was this school in Tampa Fla. They started football about fifteen years ago. They were top ten at one point last year.

Is it the NCAA's fault that we got passed by? Does the school in Tampa owe the one in Denton money or opportunity just because, even with a huge head start, the Denton school can't keep up?

You know what? I give. Let's get this stupid playoff system in place.

We got a new OC so we will win conference next year and get our little sixteenth see. Where oh where do I get to spend

my weekend in early Dec.

Tuscalooza, yea that's it. It rhymes with lalapalooza. Assuming I can get one of the 1500 tickets they allot us, I am going a week early to take in the sights.

Wait, we scored a fifteenth seed? Sweet! Happy Valley,Pa. is great in Dec. After riding three airplanes a bus and hitchhiking to wherever the hell that is, I guess my week will be up. But that is ok. It will be one hell of a competitive game.

Bring on the playoffs! Because we at North Texas should really be concerned about who the national chump is since we are all State Flagship U douches.

I am going to miss New Orleans. And don't give me any of that crap about playoffs at bowls either.

And once again, my political views are mine and none of anyone's business. Obviously I don't mind sharing my views on college football.

I don't see where my political views play in to this. But, if you want to talk about equal opportunity.

There was this school in Denton that had been playing football for nearly a century. They were in a non-aq conference.

There was this school in Tampa Fla. They started football about fifteen years ago. They were top ten at one point last year.

Is it the NCAA's fault that we got passed by? Does the school in Tampa owe the one in Denton money or opportunity just because, even with a huge head start, the Denton school can't keep up?

You know what? I give. Let's get this stupid playoff system in place.

We got a new OC so we will win conference next year and get our little sixteenth see. Where oh where do I get to spend

my weekend in early Dec.

Tuscalooza, yea that's it. It rhymes with lalapalooza. Assuming I can get one of the 1500 tickets they allot us, I am going a week early to take in the sights.

Wait, we scored a fifteenth seed? Sweet! Happy Valley,Pa. is great in Dec. After riding three airplanes a bus and hitchhiking to wherever the hell that is, I guess my week will be up. But that is ok. It will be one hell of a competitive game.

Bring on the playoffs! Because we at North Texas should really be concerned about who the national chump is since we are all State Flagship U douches.

I am going to miss New Orleans. And don't give me any of that crap about playoffs at bowls either.

And once again, my political views are mine and none of anyone's business. Obviously I don't mind sharing my views on college football.

Good to see we're keeping this about football and not letting petty personal views creep in.

Always good to see you are available to "monitor" and comment on my posts. It's about the only time you do not post something negative about Coach Dodge or the UNT football program. I'll take it as a public service to the rest of the posters on GMG.com who don't have to read the same stuff over and over.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Always good to see you are available to "monitor" and comment on my posts. It's about the only time you do not post something negative about Coach Dodge or the UNT football program. I'll take it as a public service to the rest of the posters on GMG.com who don't have to read the same stuff over and over.

Pot calling the Kettle black?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pot calling the Kettle black?

Why am I not surprised that you would jump into this and post? Glad to see Emmitt has your able assistance. I am sure he feels like he needs your help so very much. laugh.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I usually hope nothing political gets done ever. As long as the rules dont change, I am confident that I can play by them and win. having said that, if these idiots can put a playoff system in place for college football I will vote for all of them. Dem, Rep, Ind, or other doesnt matter to me. This is the first issue of any real consequence to me that any politician has brought up in my lifetime.

• Upvote 1

That's not up to them - that's the NCAA's call. Will they abandon the NCAA and all of the other sports to avoid a football playoff? I don't think so.

EDIT: A playoff will not come about through the BCS, it will be the NCAA.

It won't be the NCAA's decision if the Big BCS schools (The Top 50-60) up and leave the NCAA behind. In other words, they form their own cooridnating governance. Then the biggest schools, with the largest fanbases and most journalists-graduates in America covering them become the big leagues--in both football and basketball. Then the networks create playoffs for both of them and those 50-60 teams only have to share the billions amongst themsleves, while the other schools, which had the NCAA Tournament to share in fairly equitably with the BCS conferences and got a share of BCS football money, then lose that, too. That is the fallout from pushing too hard against this. Its also why I don't think that a full-blown playoff that features 13 conferences will ever pass muster with the power-brokers in college athletics.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

It won't be the NCAA's decision if the Big BCS schools (The Top 50-60) up and leave the NCAA behind. In other words, they form their own cooridnating governance. Then the biggest schools, with the largest fanbases and most journalists-graduates in America covering them become the big leagues--in both football and basketball. Then the networks create playoffs for both of them and those 50-60 teams only have to share the billions amongst themsleves, while the other schools, which had the NCAA Tournament to share in fairly equitably with the BCS conferences and got a share of BCS football money, then lose that, too. That is the fallout from pushing too hard against this. Its also why I don't think that a full-blown playoff that features 13 conferences will ever pass muster with the power-brokers in college athletics.

Thank you Jim for making the explanation that I have been failing to get across. The moral of the story is: If you are a fan of North Texas, at this time, the National Champ should be irrelevant. And I still say that if and/or when we make the big time, the bowl system gives us a better chance at post season play.