Ingram Wins Heisman

emmitt01

Voting should take place just before the first Bowl game. We'd probably see better results.

It's actually becoming an award for the "which one of the favorites had the best game on the last weekend". Suh got himself invited based on a great performance in the Big 12 Championship game.

I think at some point you have to judge the finalists on their overall career, not just one season or one game. I also do not think freshmen and sophmores should be eligible. That said, it should have gone to McCoy.

Couldn't disagree more. The Heisman has never been, nor should it be, a lifetime achievement award. Nor should it EVER be a "we didn't give it to you last year so here's your pity gift" award. It should go to the most impressive player in college football...and they shoulda given it to Gerhart.

Agree with Emmitt.

The award is the best player in college football for THAT year. One year. And it shouldn't necessarily be from one of the top teams. Although it will probably always be because of the exposure you get when you are in the chase for the title.

I liked Gerhart because he led the nation in rushing behind a pretty average (2-3 star) offensive line with some pretty average talent around him. McCoy, on the other hand, had some unbelievable talent around him which helped him get those amazing stats he amassed over his career. I can't hold that against McCoy (it's not his fault), but not in one year of his career did I say, "That kid is the best player in college football this year."

I didn't see Ingram a whole lot and one of those games was the Auburn game so that, admittedly, made me think a little less of him. Surprised this was the first Heisman for Bama though.

Edited by BaylorGuy314

Ingram is the least deserving Heisman winner in a long time. He has the lowest total yardage of any heisman winner in the last 20+ years. He was 5th in total yardage this year, 10th in yards per game, not in the top 10 in any other major stat category. He is a nice player and should have a good pro career, but there were 3 historicly good players up for that award (McCoy, Gerhart, Suh) Its a shame that he won that award

A side note on the Heisman:

One scary thing about Alabama.

At this time last year, Mark Ingram was the backup to Glenn Coffee (now with the 49ers). This year, Trent Richardson is the true Freshman backup to Ingram, and in my opinion (and many coaches & analysts) he is already better and more talented than Ingram (even Danielson and Vern Lunquist on CBS talk about it when they do Bama games, and Ingram publicly talks about it). Scary thought.

A side note on the Heisman:

One scary thing about Alabama.

At this time last year, Mark Ingram was the backup to Glenn Coffee (now with the 49ers). This year, Trent Richardson is the true Freshman backup to Ingram, and in my opinion (and many coaches & analysts) he is already better and more talented than Ingram (even Danielson and Vern Lunquist on CBS talk about it when they do Bama games, and Ingram publicly talks about it). Scary thought.

Well, it's only scary if Alabama football has any bearing on your life, but yeah, dem kids are good.