Big X To Make Push For 12th Team

NT03

If the B12 were going to push for UNT or Houston then why not look into Memphis? They are already a basketball power and not in Texas. In the B12 eyes it would make more sense getting Memphis than UNT or Houston or TCU for that matter. I think the B12 would want to stick with just 4 teams from the state of Texas. Just my thought.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, obviously the getting admitted part didn't work out, but from my point of view, the "we-think-we're-good-enough-so-we're-going-to-knock-on-the-door"[/i] part worked out great......as long as Fry was here. Because after he left, we went back to the "we just want to be the best little teachers school in the state" persona.

People talk ad nauseam about our "potential". We need someone again like Hayden Fry who got up and said that this was a GREAT UNIVERSITY, and that's why we would be the best choice to join the SWC...but in this case the B-12.

This discussion puts me in mind of that classic movie "The Rainmaker" starring Burt Lancaster (Starbuck) and Katherine Hepburn. Starbuck bascially tells the "plain" Lizzie Curry that every woman is pretty, but they have to believe it themselves before anyone else will.

If we don't believe we're good enough and worthly enough to be in the B-12, then no one else will.

If we don't believe we're good enough and worthly enough to be in the B-12, then no one else will.

remind me....just how many games have we won in the last 3, no..4...wait...5 years?

If the B12 were going to push for UNT or Houston then why not look into Memphis? They are already a basketball power and not in Texas. In the B12 eyes it would make more sense getting Memphis than UNT or Houston or TCU for that matter. I think the B12 would want to stick with just 4 teams from the state of Texas. Just my thought.

You may be very correct, I was told the biggest reason was recruiting football players, for the Big 12 North. It did not have anything to do with us being a power house or not.

Why? because Memphis is in the 43rd largest media market in the country and Dallas is in 6th or 7th and growing?

Why? because Memphis is in the 43rd largest media market in the country and Dallas is in 6th or 7th and growing?

I believe we (DFW) are ranked 5th in Radio and 5th in TV.

TV market rankings

Nielsen’s rankings for the 10 biggest TV markets were unchanged from last year. New York leads the list with 7.5 million households, followed by Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Boston-Manchester, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and Houston.

Arbitron Radio Market Rankings: Fall 2009

Edited by KingDL1

remind me....just how many games have we won in the last 3, no..4...wait...5 years?

I'm wondering what Baylors five year record was at the time the SWC broke up and they were subsequently invited to the B-12. And our five year record prior to Fry lobbying the SWC for admission wasn't exactly world shattering. But he did it anyway.

As someone who grew up in Iowa, Iowa State makes no sense.

The Big Ten started as an academic conference and its academic reputation is as important as the athletic reputation. All of the public schools in the conference (Indiana, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Penn State) are considered Public Ivies. The only other schools are Northwestern and Purdue (neither of which are academic slouches). Iowa State is nowhere near that list. That being said, Rutgers and Pitt are both on this list (so fit the academic bar and provide additional media markets).

Athletically, Iowa State has struggled for recognition in the Hawkeye State. Even if they moved into the Big 10, I question if Iowa State would ever garner the recognition that the University of Iowa has throughout the state. Additionally, Western Iowa is Big Eight country. ISU has played against the Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma schools for years. It would be strange to divorce themselves from that group of schools.

iowa state is a member of 62" leading" public/private invitation only group called" association of american universities", which includes all present big10 members as well as mizzo,pitt,rutgers, and syracuse, but not no dame. fyi

While being in a top 5 media market is one positive asset to have, that is all UNT has. There has to be incentive for the B12 to take us other than just being a big media market. Memphis makes more sense than UNT, Houston, and TCU. They have a basketball program that makes the conference better, better overall facilities, bigger endowment etc. Plus Memphis is still an urban city and it is no podunk town. I think you are underselling Memphis and overselling UNT.

While being in a top 5 media market is one positive asset to have, that is all UNT has. There has to be incentive for the B12 to take us other than just being a big media market. Memphis makes more sense than UNT, Houston, and TCU. They have a basketball program that makes the conference better, better overall facilities, bigger endowment etc. Plus Memphis is still an urban city and it is no podunk town. I think you are underselling Memphis and overselling UNT.

Recruiting purposes.

Instead of the Texas/OU game being the only B-12 exposure every year, just about every team in the B-12 would eventually get a game in the metroplex.

A lot of them already do. A&M plays Arkansas here. Baylor and Tech now play here. OSU is looking into playinga game here, which doesn't include the Cotton Bowl that they will appear in this year. Plus, Waco isn't that far away from the Metroplex. The B12 North teams are still able to recruit in Texas heavily by scheduling Texas teams, too. Unfortunately, we suck so bad and have such a piss-poor stadium that K-State will pass on playing here, even though it would be a great recruiting tool for them.

Our position in the Metroplex is only attractive to a conference that has no viewers here. The Big XII owns this area, which is why they didn't need SMU or TCU here. CUSA has sufficient coverage here with SMU and the MWC has sufficient coverage with TCU here. The WAC is the only conference that could use the Texas market, but we wouldn't go that way. Its why the SBC is the best place for us and why we will be here for a long time. Only way that changes is if SMU leaves CUSA for the MWC, or if a new Southwest Conference forms.

A lot of them already do. A&M plays Arkansas here. Baylor and Tech now play here. OSU is looking into playinga game here, which doesn't include the Cotton Bowl that they will appear in this year. Plus, Waco isn't that far away from the Metroplex. The B12 North teams are still able to recruit in Texas heavily by scheduling Texas teams, too. Unfortunately, we suck so bad and have such a piss-poor stadium that K-State will pass on playing here, even though it would be a great recruiting tool for them.

Our position in the Metroplex is only attractive to a conference that has no viewers here. The Big XII owns this area, which is why they didn't need SMU or TCU here. CUSA has sufficient coverage here with SMU and the MWC has sufficient coverage with TCU here. The WAC is the only conference that could use the Texas market, but we wouldn't go that way. Its why the SBC is the best place for us and why we will be here for a long time. Only way that changes is if SMU leaves CUSA for the MWC, or if a new Southwest Conference forms.

I think the new stadium is a factor in the whole thing.

They wouldn't have to deal with Jerry Jones........ :rolleyes:

Again, you're thinking ONLY football. Granted that is the big money maker but schools have a lot of other sports to recruit for.

when ark was in the old sw conference, the played in houston and dfw annually, and had a strong texas recruiting base, which has greatly diminished. since moving to the se conference nearly 20 years ago, they have made more money, but have only won the western fball division a few times and never a conference championship. basically, they can't compeat getting 90% of ark high school players, a few kids from shreveport, and leftovers from memphis. plus their alumni really miss playing in texas. we might be susprised at their level of interest should an oppening become available in the big 12.

There's no way in hell Arkansas leaves the SEC. The SEC's TV deal is an enormous financial boon to all of its member schools.