My Absence

oldguystudent

I’m done with UNT athletics. Now I know some of you will jump right off the bat and say I don’t have any patience with the Dodge regime, or that there is a certain crevasse in which I should not let the proverbial door hit me. I cannot deny my disdain for this coaching administration. The last game I attended, I was a drunken asshole (too much to drink on an empty stomach), and openly mocked Todd Dodge from the stands. I accept full responsibility for my actions and admit freely that I was not only out of line, but lucky to avoid prosecution for public intoxication (I didn’t drive that day. I was given a ride and crashed on someone’s couch that night). The bottom line is that beer, Oldguystudent, and Todd Dodge don’t mix. There is certainly an amount of shame that prevents me from returning.

Now let me get to other reasons why I’m done. First, no matter how much money I spend, whatever attire I’ve bought in attempt to show UNT spirit has either had the wrong logo or the wrong shade of green. This had been explicitly pointed out to me on every article I own. To this day, I have no idea what the correct logo/shade of green combination is. Next, I’m a student. Other than mandatory fees, I have yet to donate any money to the athletic department. Some have made clear to me that any opinions I may have are therefore null and void. Finally, in my admittedly very wrongful drunken rants from the stands, I was physically threatened by someone. It turned out to be a seven-figure donor. I essentially ejected myself from the stadium in favor of elevating the altercation. The issue was brought to my attention a couple days later. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was a disheveled drunk and shouldn’t have been in public. It was that I had offended a donor. The message I received was that I am not worthy of disagreeing with the major contributors to the program.

I have come to the following conclusions. First, although I’m not an active donor, I am spending money to attend games, and I’m not having fun. Next, I find the culture of UNT to be one of “I’m a better fan than you.” Next, as a grad student, UNT will never be my school like it is your school. I have my undergrad allegiance, and it has been made very clear to me that this is a trivial matter of no importance, if not an attack on Mean Green Athletics.

It is a new dawn on the Mean Green Nation tomorrow. Be it 28,000 or 30,000 seats, there needs to be a serious expansion of fan base to fill the new digs. If people come, curious about the program, I advise you celebrate their presence, even if they are wearing a USC jersey. Welcome the bewildered face to your tailgate. Ask the Texas douche what brings him to the game. Strike up friendly conversation.

In conclusion, I really do wish the program the best. My advice to the Mean Green Nation is this: be a little more welcoming to newcomers to your program. They are the potential donors of the future. I do have to thank several members of the board for taking me in to their tailgating group and my boss who has been nothing but overly beneficial to me. My experiences have not been all bad. My own inappropriate behavior is a major contributing factor to my decision.

I say this now from a distance, and I really do mean it, Go Mean Green!

I had wondered where you had been on the board. I agree that North Texas needs all the fans they can get, and it doesn't matter if they're wearing green at all, much less the right shade. When I was a student, very few in the stands made sure to wear green to games. Things have certainly improved in many ways, but I don't think we're in a position to be as demanding of all attendees as some insist on being.

Understand that one person (or two or three) does not speak for all of us. Neither I nor the many people I have attended games with over the years have been part of the "culture" of which you speak. Obviously a big donor will have--and should have--more influence in the A.D. than you or I, but that doesn't mean we have to hold our tongues altogether. Not to excuse whatever you did at the game, but all of us have lost our cool at a UNT football game at one time or another. Put me down for a lot more than one time.

I do hope you will continue to support the Mean Green, even if it is only in spirit for the time being.

Dude, I heckled a 12-year old boy at the UTA game Wednesday night. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have done that.

If college athletics didn't inspire the most zealous emotions in us, it wouldn't be the experience that it is.

I agree - calling out USC and Texas douchebags doesn't help us build our program. I hope you come back - we need you.

I’m done with UNT athletics. Now I know some of you will jump right off the bat and say I don’t have any patience with the Dodge regime, or that there is a certain crevasse in which I should not let the proverbial door hit me. I cannot deny my disdain for this coaching administration. The last game I attended, I was a drunken asshole (too much to drink on an empty stomach), and openly mocked Todd Dodge from the stands. I accept full responsibility for my actions and admit freely that I was not only out of line, but lucky to avoid prosecution for public intoxication (I didn’t drive that day. I was given a ride and crashed on someone’s couch that night). The bottom line is that beer, Oldguystudent, and Todd Dodge don’t mix. There is certainly an amount of shame that prevents me from returning.

Now let me get to other reasons why I’m done. First, no matter how much money I spend, whatever attire I’ve bought in attempt to show UNT spirit has either had the wrong logo or the wrong shade of green. This had been explicitly pointed out to me on every article I own. To this day, I have no idea what the correct logo/shade of green combination is. Next, I’m a student. Other than mandatory fees, I have yet to donate any money to the athletic department. Some have made clear to me that any opinions I may have are therefore null and void. Finally, in my admittedly very wrongful drunken rants from the stands, I was physically threatened by someone. It turned out to be a seven-figure donor. I essentially ejected myself from the stadium in favor of elevating the altercation. The issue was brought to my attention a couple days later. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was a disheveled drunk and shouldn’t have been in public. It was that I had offended a donor. The message I received was that I am not worthy of disagreeing with the major contributors to the program.

I have come to the following conclusions. First, although I’m not an active donor, I am spending money to attend games, and I’m not having fun. Next, I find the culture of UNT to be one of “I’m a better fan than you.” Next, as a grad student, UNT will never be my school like it is your school. I have my undergrad allegiance, and it has been made very clear to me that this is a trivial matter of no importance, if not an attack on Mean Green Athletics.

It is a new dawn on the Mean Green Nation tomorrow. Be it 28,000 or 30,000 seats, there needs to be a serious expansion of fan base to fill the new digs. If people come, curious about the program, I advise you celebrate their presence, even if they are wearing a USC jersey. Welcome the bewildered face to your tailgate. Ask the Texas douche what brings him to the game. Strike up friendly conversation.

In conclusion, I really do wish the program the best. My advice to the Mean Green Nation is this: be a little more welcoming to newcomers to your program. They are the potential donors of the future. I do have to thank several members of the board for taking me in to their tailgating group and my boss who has been nothing but overly beneficial to me. My experiences have not been all bad. My own inappropriate behavior is a major contributing factor to my decision.

Man, I can only accept you at your word. Hey, what about supporting UNT Music? My wife and I are supporters and are never disappointed by any performance we attend, and in fact are always thrilled. Our tailgate crew is in debt to you for helping get things started, and I hope we'll be as strong without you, but honestly it will be tough. Remember, the most vocal of any group (especially college sports fans) don't really represent the majority. I consider you a nice guy and a friend, and I hope you find a to be with the friends you have made here.

Dwayne Taylor

Edited by eulessismore

I’m done with UNT athletics. Now I know some of you will jump right off the bat and say I don’t have any patience with the Dodge regime, or that there is a certain crevasse in which I should not let the proverbial door hit me.

Hey, aren't you the guy who walked me and my son around to the various tailgates at Ohio?

If so, thanks again, but man--there's lots of people who have had experiences like you describe. Don't worry about it, and get back in there. I could tell you stories about my past behavior in public that would really make you wince/laugh, and others have as well so don't feel like the lone ranger.

Regarding your allegiances or whatever--who gives a crap what anyone else thinks? Ignore that stuff and go on with your bad self. Some people live to belittle others for whatever reason. THEY are the knuckleheads, not you.

Avoid them, and rock on.

Old guy, I hope that your degree from NT, when you get it, serves you well. You sound like a guy with whom I would enjoy watching a football game.

I can't say I know how you feel, but frankly I can't blame anyone from walking away right now. That is not how I choose to play this out, but then again, if I walked out on horrible football (whoever is to blame for its label) everytime I saw it, I would have only seen a handful of games in the last 25 or so years.

Further, I refer to our stadium as the Library. It is THE most appropriate place to study on campus...quiet and empty on most game days, or just quiet on days like today. I sit in Section H, upper level. I yell, as do about 5 others in our section. On most game days, there are less than 50 fans in our section and they all know who I am and what to expect....occasionally funny lines, occasional pissed off reaction to a play, a fumble, an interception, LOUD yelling at the appropriate times, etc. But games like today, when we have to share our stands with others, I stir the ire and dirty looks of literally hundreds without uttering a cuss word or doing any other thing other than yelling loud enough to interupt the peace and quiet of the library patrons sitting around me.

I quit worrying about it. All the crap I take from those around me (and I exclude and offer thanks to those who just get up and move to another empty section of the stadium) became worthwhile when a fan came up to me after a game and told me he had recently lost his son, a first-time father of a three-month old, in a car wreck. The fan told me his son really enjoyed laughing at the jibberish I throw out as I sink into the despair that is another North Texas loss. And by the way, that fan was in his seat this week, with his usual partners-in-crime.

Congrats on finding the one seven-figure donor we have. If the football hasn't run him off or offended him, your drunken performance surely won't. But thanks for your self-discipline, removing yourself without escalation of the event...real man of you.

Look, there is no reason to have to "work" at enjoying yourself. If you don't, go find some other place to enjoy your Saturdays. Your empty seat will be in good company, and probably covered in bird caca. But don't let other "fans" run you off...find a place where you are comfortable and be a fan in the way you like to be a fan.

GMG

Why the drama and post what is the point?

Do you want pity? Sympathy ?

I hope you stay, but if you are going to leave just leave.

It makes me think of a line from The Good, The Bad and Ugly. "When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk."

Edited by KingDL1

I agree - calling out USC and Texas douchebags doesn't help us build our program.

I'm very glad to hear you say that! :clapping:

oldguystudent, I don't know what to say. I really hope you reconsider, but I understand if you don't. It sounds like you've had to endure some pretty ridiculous attacks on your loyalty to UNT. You're as true a Mean Green fan as they come in my book. Regardless of whatever you may have been told, the simple fact that you attended a single UNT football game makes you a more legitimate supporter than many of the people I went to school with, who never stepped one foot inside Fouts Field.

in the words of the great Vince Neil

"Don't go away mad, just go away"

my nuts have been kicked so many times..( i am from Cleveland and support the Browns) ...so many times on both Sat and Sun i can not pee without a catheter...tonight i urinated blood after this weekends round of nut crunching

if you are anything like me and the countless others, i will see you next year with or without Dodge

i'll be there with ya retso, along with my wifey...as for oldguy...later...thanks for the sympathy post announcing your leaving of your university. hopefully you find another school to latch onto....if not....north texas will always be here for ya...