Fight Song / School Song

Sound_Man

We care because as you indicated above, there are times where your respect level should be elevated, such as a job interview. Singing your Alma Mater's fight song is one of those times, right?

By the way, I'm VERY happy that you do not participate, could you please convince others around you to cease as well?

When you're tailgating or just chilling at your house/apt., use whatever language you want... to your heart's content. In that scenario, you're right. Who cares?

The fight song was altered because as Mr. Schumann stated, it is sacred. It is not to be messed with. When a horrible insertion is very much audible and easily recognizable by EVERYONE in Apogee/Super Pit, the GB/administration has no choice but to protect it. That's what they did, and it is very sad it had to come down to that.

Do you really not care about one of the only traditions we have, in favor of just having a little fun at a football game?

By the way... Kudos to you for wanting to be a High school English teacher. We need more people like you in that regard.

I understand why many hate adding it. I have never complained about people adding it, because I just...haven't cared. I do understand your point, however. I mean, if it was just a chant including MF'er, would you care? I will probably voice disapproval in the future over it, because I respect people's opinions who hate it. But I still think cutting the ending is unacceptable.

And on another note, I have complained about cheering on offense and the wave. The main problem is that the Talons are the ones doing that.

I apologize for being a jerk to you.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Current students agree with me, and at this point, those are all that matter.

Hi. Current student here. I think you're mother****ing wrong... about pretty much everything you've been spouting.

Alumni support is HUGELY important to the continued success and growth of our university, just as important as student support.

Also, listing your, uh, let's call them "credentials" as you try again and again to insult people who have loved our university since perhaps before you and I were born makes you look incredibly childish, imo.

• Upvote 3

Hi. Current student here. I think you're mother****ing wrong... about pretty much everything you've been spouting.

Alumni support is HUGELY important to the continued success and growth of our university, just as important as student support.

Also, listing your, uh, let's call them "credentials" as you try again and again to insult people who have loved our university since perhaps before you and I were born makes you look incredibly childish, imo.

You obviously haven't gone through and read all my posts.

It's not that I support adding it.

It's that the GB doesn't have a right to just cut it out without putting up a vote on changing our fight song.

If I do go to the game, I'm bringing huge UNT letters and we'll just do it ourselves.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I proudly say I gave you -1's on your stance. I ran out of -1s quickly with you. If you are one of those that does not allow for signatures, MY NAME IS BRETT TULLOSS.

I understand why many hate adding it. I have never complained about people adding it, because I just...haven't cared. I do understand your point, however. I mean, if it was just a chant including MF'er, would you care? I will probably voice disapproval in the future over it, because I respect people's opinions who hate it. But I still think cutting the ending is unacceptable.

And on another note, I have complained about cheering on offense and the wave. The main problem is that the Talons are the ones doing that.

Now we're getting somewhere, and I knew discourse could occur with you, because unlike Cougar King, you did not quit when the going got tough at the greatest University of all time.

As far as just a chant goes, I myself probably would not like it, but that's something you chalk up to students being students... kinda like the "Bullsh..." chant. I don't participate, but don't really care.

When THE fight song is desecrated though, it's different. Obviously, you agree with that part.

Where you and most of us disagree appears to be with the drum break being cut. The GB/administration felt it necessary in order to protect the fight song. I agree, until something else can be decided upon and the drum break can be added without the insertion.

What would you recommend instead? Leave it alone and let it gain more steam? Something else?

As far as getting loud while on offense and the wave, I'm right there with you.

Getting loud on offense shows football ineptitude. The good thing is, with proper training, this can be remediated. It will just take some time.

The wave is disrespectful to the players, saying: "You're not good enough for us, we need to find our own entertainment".

My ONLY point is by just cutting this out is simply showing disrespect to the student section.

My ONLY point is that by adding MF to our fight song is simply showing disrespect to our university, that's it. Get hammered, have fun, etc... but don't denigrate our university.

As others have stated, I applaud you for pursuing a degree in Education. My family has been involved with that department for a long, long time.

• Upvote 1

Now we're getting somewhere, and I knew discourse could occur with you, because unlike Cougar King, you did not quit when the going got tough at the greatest University of all time.

As far as just a chant goes, I myself probably would not like it, but that's something you chalk up to students being students... kinda like the "Bullsh..." chant. I don't participate, but don't really care.

When THE fight song is desecrated though, it's different. Obviously, you agree with that part.

Where you and most of us disagree appears to be with the drum break being cut. The GB/administration felt it necessary in order to protect the fight song. I agree, until something else can be decided upon and the drum break can be added without the insertion.

What would you recommend instead? Leave it alone and let it gain more steam? Something else?

As far as getting loud while on offense and the wave, I'm right there with you.

Getting loud on offense shows football ineptitude. The good thing is, with proper training, this can be remediated. It will just take some time.

The wave is disrespectful to the players, saying: "You're not good enough for us, we need to find our own entertainment".

I have really soured on the students doing it, I just think that it is going to leave a bad taste in the students' mouths. They know why it was cut. And maybe an editorial? Maybe an email? I think if an administrator presented their point, or hell, RV talked to the students like he does post game about it, they would listen. The band guy saying "It makes us sound small time" is ridiculous because LSU and UT both have profanity laced chants. Explain why it's a big deal.

And, yeah, the Talons scolded me for complaining over chants and the wave during offense. Told me to go to a Cowboys game. I always sit in the front at the 40 and try to wave my arms down and yell Shhh but no one listens. It will come with time.

I won't fight too much on the other stuff. The students being too loud of having too much fun is kind of like us having too many wins because our schedule is too easy. It will take me quite a while to get tired of either. The students new to the game experience will learn quickly enough for when to use their vocal chords to our advantage. When in doubt, it is better to be too loud than too quiet. Scream your arse off as far as I am concerned.

I have really soured on the students doing it, I just think that it is going to leave a bad taste in the students' mouths. They know why it was cut. And maybe an editorial? Maybe an email? I think if an administrator presented their point, or hell, RV talked to the students like he does post game about it, they would listen. The band guy saying "It makes us sound small time" is ridiculous because LSU and UT both have profanity laced chants. Explain why it's a big deal.

And, yeah, the Talons scolded me for complaining over chants and the wave during offense. Told me to go to a Cowboys game. I always sit in the front at the 40 and try to wave my arms down and yell Shhh but no one listens. It will come with time.

Good idea.

Is it too late for you to change your letter to the editor from "Students should boycott the game", to "Students should stop the insanity so our fight song can be restored"?

I don't know if Rick V can address the entire student section at Apogee, but I bet he could at the Super Pit. This is a good idea as well, and at least it could be curtailed at the basketball games.

I don't agree with the addition making us sound "small time". I think maybe that was a wrong choice of words?

"Small time" would be where we were when I was a student in the early 2000's where you could literally walk up to 20 random students on a Tuesday and maybe 5 of them could sing the entire fight song for you.

Good idea.

Is it too late for you to change your letter to the editor from "Students should boycott the game", to "Students should stop the insanity so our fight song can be restored"?

I don't know if Rick V can address the entire student section at Apogee, but I bet he could at the Super Pit. This is a good idea as well, and at least it could be curtailed at the basketball games.

I don't agree with the addition making us sound "small time". I think maybe that was a wrong choice of words?

"Small time" would be where we were when I was a student in the early 2000's where you could literally walk up to 20 random students on a Tuesday and maybe 5 of them could sing the entire fight song for you.

I'm reworking the editorial a bit. It's more leaning that way than "the gb sux yo" anyway.

I don't know, at the Pit definitely but I can't come up with a good solution. I still don't like just cutting it altogether.

And bring it back for the SA game. See what happens. Most students know that's the reason why it was cut.

• Downvote 1

Where are the folks that used to insist that we were no longer the Eagles? Why haven't they chimed in with their support of the abbreviated fight song? I'd like to see a team cage match between the anti-Eagles faction and the group of students that are so passionate about Eagles that they feel the need to precede the word with MF'ing.

Sorry for the pot stirring. Couldn't help myself.

Where are the folks that used to insist that we were no longer the Eagles? Why haven't they chimed in with their support of the abbreviated fight song? I'd like to see a team cage match between the anti-Eagles faction and the group of students that are so passionate about Eagles that they feel the need to precede the word with MF'ing.

Sorry for the pot stirring. Couldn't help myself.

How about the Mean Green Motherf'ing Eagles?

• Downvote 2

I'm reworking the editorial a bit. It's more leaning that way than "the gb sux yo" anyway.

I don't know, at the Pit definitely but I can't come up with a good solution. I still don't like just cutting it altogether.

And bring it back for the SA game. See what happens. Most students know that's the reason why it was cut.

I'll be interested to see if they do this. You may be right, or it may come across as lack of severity and empower the insert.

I'll be interested to see if they do this. You may be right, or it may come across as lack of severity and empower the insert.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Pretty much everyone I talked to went "Because of the MF'ing Eagles part?"

Sorry for attacking alumni, just felt like there was a witch hunt going on. I apologize.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Pretty much everyone I talked to went "Because of the MF'ing Eagles part?"

Sorry for attacking alumni, just felt like there was a witch hunt going on. I apologize.

We're on the same team.

Honestly, there may be a little misdirected frustration on the alumni part. I guarantee you if we were winning, complaining about greeks on the Hill and other tertiary stuff would be virtually non-existent. There is only so much complaining you can do about the actual product on the field before other stuff comes under fire as well.

But... I bet there would still be a problem with the fight song.

Thanks. And I would add that it would be an embarrassment to ANY institution of higher learning in our nation......but especially North Texas.

Just for everyone's information (assuming that they are even remotely interested) could you post the links to the 60's recorded fight song, as well as the fanfare that the band used to play as part of it's (sadly) former entry tradition?

Happy to do this again. If someone could let me know about a free large file sharing site that everyone can access, I'd appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

Most of the students that show up never watch college football outside of NT, so it's not surprising that the "mother f'ing eagles" ever got thrown in there. Cheering when on offense, chanting, booing during the other team's alma mater. I don't know if it's a lack of traditions that don't keep the students involved, or if we all just really don't care, but there's certainly more issues with NT football than the cursing and lack of wins.

Thank you! I got ripped apart on Facebook for telling people to stop cheering when we're on offensive.

• Upvote 1

You guys are a joke. Students are not saying MF eagles to disrespect our school. I know it's hard for y'all to remotely comprehend this but something as little as chanting this does give a boost of energy to the students. I know the exact person who first started this a few years ago, and guess what he was the most die hard fan there was, traveling to multiple away games every year .Times have changed, accept it. You guys beg for the students to come in the game, well how bout just be happy we're there rooting for the team. Are the artsy fartsy nerd students ever going to come to the games? In large part no, so be grateful for what students are there. We havnt had a good product on the field in almost a decade, geeze let us have a little fun at the games.. It's already hard enough to come and stay through the games, now with all you complaining..come on. I understand the school needs the support from alumni, but you had your time as an undergrad, let us have ours. I love this school and will do anything to support it, but come on there are much more worse things to worry about. And don't give me that immature and growing up to do crap..I'll be just fine without your life lessons.

GMG

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4