Your 2nd Place Rangers

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. 2 losses and the Rangers posts stop? I hate freaking bandwagoners.

Sometimes the best deals are the deals you don't make. This from the Newburg report:

"Holland ’s record since July 30, when it became public that Texas wouldn’t include him in any trade for Roy Halladay: 4-1, 1.85 in five starts, with all four wins over contenders (Seattle, Los Angeles , Boston , Minnesota )."

"Halladay since July 29: 2-3, 3.41 in five starts, with losses to Seattle , New York , and Boston ."

I know it's a small sample, but I think as this season, and next, play out, we will look back at this non-trade as one of he best things JD has done as GM.

Sometimes the best deals are the deals you don't make. This from the Newburg report:

"Holland ’s record since July 30, when it became public that Texas wouldn’t include him in any trade for Roy Halladay: 4-1, 1.85 in five starts, with all four wins over contenders (Seattle, Los Angeles , Boston , Minnesota )."

"Halladay since July 29: 2-3, 3.41 in five starts, with losses to Seattle , New York , and Boston ."

I know it's a small sample, but I think as this season, and next, play out, we will look back at this non-trade as one of he best things JD has done as GM.

I was just coming on here to post that...you win, Mr. 90

Halladay wouldn't have even accepted a trade here, so I guess it's a moot point.

I was just coming on here to post that...you win, Mr. 90

Not trying to score sports points, just thought the comparison was interesting. Let's just hope the Rangers keep winning.

You always have to wonder about an athlete who doesn't want to go from a sure loser to a potential playoff club because his personal stats may suffer. What kind of competitor is that? But, it happens time and again with the Rangers, so it seems, whether it be free agency or trade clause. You would think now that they are winning, and have the potential to do so for quite some time, that this would be a thing of the past.

Also, the other component in that non-trade, Julio Borbon, continues to perform and should be the permanent leadoff hitter for this team, which is where I think he will end up before the season has ended. The outfield should be Borbon in center (although I wish he had a little better arm), Hamilton in right and Cruz in left, with Byrd and Murphy platooning in the DH spot.

Will we see Pudge take over behind the plate if Teagarden struggles at the plate?

September should be fun.

Not trying to score sports points, just thought the comparison was interesting. Let's just hope the Rangers keep winning.

You always have to wonder about an athlete who doesn't want to go from a sure loser to a potential playoff club because his personal stats may suffer. What kind of competitor is that? But, it happens time and again with the Rangers, so it seems, whether it be free agency or trade clause. You would think now that they are winning, and have the potential to do so for quite some time, that this would be a thing of the past.

Also, the other component in that non-trade, Julio Borbon, continues to perform and should be the permanent leadoff hitter for this team, which is where I think he will end up before the season has ended. The outfield should be Borbon in center (although I wish he had a little better arm), Hamilton in right and Cruz in left, with Byrd and Murphy platooning in the DH spot.

Will we see Pudge take over behind the plate if Teagarden struggles at the plate?

September should be fun.

This is why he should never be an everyday CF, especially with the deep alleys at the Ballpark. He is destined to be a LF with that rag arm.

This is why he should never be an everyday CF, especially with the deep alleys at the Ballpark. He is destined to be a LF with that rag arm.

His speed would really be an asset in getting to line drives into those alleys. I wouldn't call it a rag arm, but it is definitely below average for a major league center fielder. So, would you switch Hamilton back to center and flip flop Cruz from left to right? The way Borbon is producing at the plate and on the basepaths, you gotta keep him in the lineup. Do you DH Borbon?

His speed would really be an asset in getting to line drives into those alleys. I wouldn't call it a rag arm, but it is definitely below average for a major league center fielder. So, would you switch Hamilton back to center and flip flop Cruz from left to right? The way Borbon is producing at the plate and on the basepaths, you gotta keep him in the lineup. Do you DH Borbon?

The problem is that eventually you want to move Hamilton to RF, but because of Borbon's lack of an arm that is going to be tough for Texas to do down the road. You hate to see Hamilton have to play a more demanding position, but if Byrd goes elsewhere in the off season he might have to play there a helluva lot more. Not saying that Borbon can't spell him every now and again, but over a long period of time he could get exposed a little.

I know Borbon is quick and he has been sold as the CF of the future, but a CF needs to have a good arm, especially when a runner is on 2nd base. You want to keep a runner from having an easy time heading to 3rd on a flyball. And yeah, it is a rag arm. Watch for the accuracy and velocity he has on his throws next time he starts in LF. Well below average even for a AAA centerfielder. They should mix and match him in the OF and at DH. His speed is too big of a weapon. He has DH'd the past few games, look for Wash to keep doing that throughout the remainder of the season. Cruz doesn't read balls that well at times off the bat, but because of his bazooka arm you want to keep him in RF. A lefty can get away with a sub-par arm if he is quick and gets good reads on the ball. See Juan Pierre.

An outfield with Cruz and Borbon scares me. It's going to be a tag-and-go fest sandwiched between errors and poor routes on balls.

Is there a Mike Maddux for developing defensive outfielders?

I don't know what the financials look like for next season, but why the quick dismissal of Marlon Byrd's future? This isn't Gary Matthews, Jr...Byrd was a top notch prospect when he came up with the Phillies and he's been quite productive in his 2+ seasons as a Ranger. 32 isn't young, but he's gotta be worth a 3-4 year investment.

I don't know what the financials look like for next season, but why the quick dismissal of Marlon Byrd's future? This isn't Gary Matthews, Jr...Byrd was a top notch prospect when he came up with the Phillies and he's been quite productive in his 2+ seasons as a Ranger. 32 isn't young, but he's gotta be worth a 3-4 year investment.

Things always seem to eventually go wrong with Victor Conte's clients

Edited by NT03

He could be the odd man out here, with all the talent in the outfield. I like Byrd, but I think resigning him will probably be conditional on how much other teams offer, and whether he wants to stay in a potential platoon situation with Murphy, which I highly doubt.

Edited by UNT90

The problem is that eventually you want to move Hamilton to RF, but because of Borbon's lack of an arm that is going to be tough for Texas to do down the road. You hate to see Hamilton have to play a more demanding position, but if Byrd goes elsewhere in the off season he might have to play there a helluva lot more. Not saying that Borbon can't spell him every now and again, but over a long period of time he could get exposed a little.

I know Borbon is quick and he has been sold as the CF of the future, but a CF needs to have a good arm, especially when a runner is on 2nd base. You want to keep a runner from having an easy time heading to 3rd on a flyball. And yeah, it is a rag arm. Watch for the accuracy and velocity he has on his throws next time he starts in LF. Well below average even for a AAA centerfielder. They should mix and match him in the OF and at DH. His speed is too big of a weapon. He has DH'd the past few games, look for Wash to keep doing that throughout the remainder of the season. Cruz doesn't read balls that well at times off the bat, but because of his bazooka arm you want to keep him in RF. A lefty can get away with a sub-par arm if he is quick and gets good reads on the ball. See Juan Pierre.

Wouldn't it be fun to see Borbon in center, Hamilton in right, and Cruz in left with no runners on, then when a runner gets to second base, Washington changes his outfielders, putting Borbon in left, Hamilton in center and Cruz in right? Could you imagine the confusion in the other teams dugout, not to mention the Rangers dugout, whenever this shift took place?

Probably not practical at the major league level, but I would love to see it happen. Just once.

No. 3-4 years would be way too much in him. 1 with a 2nd year option would be more than fine with me. I could imagine a team like the Yankees swooping in and giving him 5-6 million a year this off-season, and Texas would not be able to match that because they want to cut the payroll by 20% next season according to Hicks, the owner is trying to sell the team, and you have young talent that eventually has to get paid. A 3-4 year deal for Byrd would tighten their belt when it's time to pay Holland, Feliz, Borbon, Hunter, etc., etc.

I love what Byrd is doing this season, but I doubt that he would agree to another 1 year 3 million dollar deal after hittng .280 driving in about 80, and being north of 40 doubles. Hope I am wrong, but I can't imagine him not getting more than that from an organization that is not financially handcuffed.

Things always seem to eventually go wrong with Victor Conte's clients

It was a good line - but you also make a valid point with it. The Young contract is going to seem bad enough in two years (as much as I love the guy) without adding anything north of $3-4M per for Byrd. I'll miss him, but we should be able to cover it.

Also, if you're counting down like me, only a few more weeks of having to watch Blalock and Jones.

It was a good line - but you also make a valid point with it. The Young contract is going to seem bad enough in two years (as much as I love the guy) without adding anything north of $3-4M per for Byrd. I'll miss him, but we should be able to cover it.

Also, if you're counting down like me, only a few more weeks of having to watch Blalock and Jones.

What a disappointment Blaylock turned out to be. Who would have thought back when he was hitting homers in the all-star game that he would be an after thought in free agency.

What a disappointment Blaylock turned out to be. Who would have thought back when he was hitting homers in the all-star game that he would be an after thought in free agency.

It's almost like the magical substance powering his success...was outlawed.