Mack Cole

Tackles

Shavod Atkinson

Kelvin Jackson

Draylon Ross

Troy Franklin

Jesse DeSoto

Kyle White

These are not in order and it's too early to determine who'll be first string, etc. when some haven't even reported yet. There are some other possibilities...Marquis Sykes, Sam Owusu-Hemeng, and even Ryan Boutwell (who I hope will be redshirted). The only other tackles that I know of are Jonathan Stewart and Joe Hawthorne, either of which could be used at end. Also, don't rule out Cantly being switched back to tackle if one of the two JUCOs don't report or aren't as advertised.

IMHO, it has been a very long time since NT has ever had such

a very good group of DE's and DT's on the same team.

As GrayEagleOne points out, there are 6 DE's and 6 DT's, for the 09

defensive team.

Two key facts-

Remember when people were crying about no big DT's and

no DE's. Well NT fans, the team has them now! Anyone want to bet that

Cantley will not be a impact player for the NT defense? Atkinson is not

here yet, and I really want to see what he will bring to the DL. All of

the DT's and DE's are solid players, creating much needed depth, with

players that could start any game. Players with experience, size, and

speed. This group of DT's and DE's, gives the defensive team many additional options,

which will compliment the LB's responsibility and the secondary coverage.

Fact number 2. This fact may have more bearing that fact number 1.

The hiring of Coach Mike Nelson is huge. NT is very fortunate to have Nelson here.

Nelson was hired to coach DT's, then later, Coach Dodge assigned the entire DL play to

Coach Nelson. Coaching/planning DL play is Coach Nelson's calling. Coach Nelson will shift

players from DT to DE or DE back to DT, depending on what he determines is the best combination

match up against opponents offense. Match players skills, and use them to NT's advantage.

For one example, Cantley at DE and Gilmore at DT, side by side. Coach Nelson is training

the DL guys to be able to mix and match at DE/DT positions, plus adding speed guy's

like Brandon Akpunku, into the DL schemes. Coach Nelson and DC Gary Deloach,

compliment each other very well. All of these facts add up, which means, the 09 defensive

play will be impressive this season.

IMHO, it has been a very long time since NT has ever had such

a very good group of DE's and DT's on the same team.

I guess if you define 2002, or really 2005, as a very long time, your right. This is just crazy Spring optimism overstatement. This is one of the most unproven areas on the team. While I think there could be some improvement, I think it will be modest at best.

As for an assistant coach making a huge difference, I refer you to defensive coordinator, UNT, 2008. Everyone thought Mendoza couldn't coach and Deloach would come right in and be a savior. Didn't happen. It's about talent on the field. Whenever you scrape the bottom of the recruiting barrell, most of the time you end up with less talented players. Thats what happened this past year.

I really worry about this upcoming season.

What about DE Tyler Kubala, and DT Jonathan Stewart. The last I saw they were both running second team. Russo was third.?

I still say Russo looked happy when he was starting and playing well towards the end of last season. He did not look happy in the spring game when others, some with no college game experience as yet, were passing him on the depth chart. I think our defensive coaches making those decisions were doing so based on honest evaluations, coming from years of coaching experience. Still, it has to hurt a guy like Russo, who was a starter on a high school state championship team, to be passed up on a college team which has almost never won since he's been here. I still think there's a positive message here: the coaches see something they like in other players. With the number of DL players already on the roster, those coming out of redshirt or injury status, and the HS and JC players signed in February, I was feeling that someone probably would leave. I think it's only to be expected.