You Gotta Love Pro Athletes

"Dallas Morning News" - Sports section page 4C - April 22, 2009 Story Line: "Little League Offers to pay fine for Dukes"

Seems Washington outfielder Elijah Dukes was PAID...GOT THAT PAID...$500 to show up at a Little League opening day event to sign autographs and meet and mingle with the kids. He was PAID $500 to work with some Little Leaguers and the guy makes $415,500 a year! Sure, not much in pro pay terms these days, but still not sending him wondering where his next meal is going to come from either. He was late to the Washington game and was taken out of the starting lineup and fined $500...Guess what, now the Little League (after paying the guy to show up $500) is collecting money to pay the guys fine!

How stupid is all this...first to want to be paid to help out some kids...shame on Dukes...then to even think about allowing the Little League to pay your fine for being late. Man, this guy is a real piece of work.

Should have siad...thanks for offering the $500 guys, but I'll be there to work with the kids...no pay needed...second, his team should not have fined him given the circumstances...a stern warning and a promise of a fine if it happens again...but, geez louise, get a grip on things folks!

Just another reason to love pro baseball players and pro baseball! The ONLY folks who look good here are the Cedar Falls, VA Little League. Amazing stuff this...you just can't make up how stupid this stuff is...If this were my son I would be so ashamed that I had not done a better job of instilling in him the idea that helping others is a good thing and is reward itself. No pay required!

Too bad all the "good guys" don't get this much PR...I'll bet there were other ballplayers who helped open Little League seasons all over the play without being paid! Let's read about them! Good Grief!

"Dallas Morning News" - Sports section page 4C - April 22, 2009 Story Line: "Little League Offers to pay fine for Dukes"

Seems Washington outfielder Elijah Dukes was PAID...GOT THAT PAID...$500 to show up at a Little League opening day event to sign autographs and meet and mingle with the kids. He was PAID $500 to work with some Little Leaguers and the guy makes $415,500 a year! Sure, not much in pro pay terms these days, but still not sending him wondering where his next meal is going to come from either. He was late to the Washington game and was taken out of the starting lineup and fined $500...Guess what, now the Little League (after paying the guy to show up $500) is collecting money to pay the guys fine!

How stupid is all this...first to want to be paid to help out some kids...shame on Dukes...then to even think about allowing the Little League to pay your fine for being late. Man, this guy is a real piece of work.

Should have siad...thanks for offering the $500 guys, but I'll be there to work with the kids...no pay needed...second, his team should not have fined him given the circumstances...a stern warning and a promise of a fine if it happens again...but, geez louise, get a grip on things folks!

Just another reason to love pro baseball players and pro baseball! The ONLY folks who look good here are the Cedar Falls, VA Little League. Amazing stuff this...you just can't make up how stupid this stuff is...If this were my son I would be so ashamed that I had not done a better job of instilling in him the idea that helping others is a good thing and is reward itself. No pay required!

Too bad all the "good guys" don't get this much PR...I'll bet there were other ballplayers who helped open Little League seasons all over the play without being paid! Let's read about them! Good Grief!

I know you're not a big baseball fan so that name might not be too familiar to you...but I have to blame the Little League for this one. Any Little League director dumb enough to bring in Elijah Dukes to talk to and provide some sort of role model to children needs to be relieved of his position. Here's a sample: Elijah Dukes, good samaritan.

I know you're not a big baseball fan so that name might not be too familiar to you...but I have to blame the Little League for this one. Any Little League director dumb enough to bring in Elijah Dukes to talk to and provide some sort of role model to children needs to be relieved of his position. Here's a sample: Elijah Dukes, good samaritan.

Nice guy all the way around. What a great role model. You are right...never heard of the guy. Maybe the Little League had to take Dukes because no one else on the team would volunteer...who knows. Looks pretty typical of many of our wonderful pro athletes today. Give me stories about Jason Whitten...my guess is Jason Whitten would have donated to a pee wee football association AND showed up to sign autographs, etc. Too bad there are so few Jason Whittens in pro sports these days and so many Eligiha Dukes!

Dukes is pretty much a jack ass but I would be willing to say that ther are a good amount of "Jason Wittens" out there, but the reason that you don't hear about them is that they do good things and charitable things and don't ask for the publicity because they don't want or need it.

Hell in Dallas alone there are several great athletes that are great people, Jason Witten, Michael Young, Dirk, Josh Hamilton just to name a few

Dukes is pretty much a jack ass but I would be willing to say that ther are a good amount of "Jason Wittens" out there, but the reason that you don't hear about them is that they do good things and charitable things and don't ask for the publicity because they don't want or need it.

Hell in Dallas alone there are several great athletes that are great people, Jason Witten, Michael Young, Dirk, Josh Hamilton just to name a few

Im going to go ahead and add Marty Turco and Jason Terry to that already great list. Marty does alot of the local kids and I met Terry and he is a good guy and does stuff in Dallas as well.