Unt Staff Opening, Players Leaving, Recruiting Ect.

Brett Vito

I swear, some of you would complain if Bobby Flay were cooking you dinner but didn't go out and buy the groceries!

Maybe recruiting isn't Deloach's strong suit. Doesn't mean he's not telling the coaches doing the recruiting who to go after.

He's a proven commodity.

Make it Guy Fieri, and I'm right there with you....or whit'cha, as he would say.

http://www.thestreet.com/funds/goodlife/10407640.html

I'd cut his significantly less slack if he weren't "coaching" with one arm tied behind his back and the other amputated by his superior.

How so? I think the biggest "arm tied behind the back" would be that he isn't coaching players he has recruited and he isn't doing anything about that sitting at home.

Dodge gets a lot of hell from people on this board about recruiting, and Deloach can apparently do no wrong BUT HE DOESN'T EVEN RECRUIT! It is mind boggling that people don't care about this and yet are anointing him because he coached a good defense several years ago.

Deloach shouldn't get a pass because he had success in 2002. Using that reasoning, DD should still be head coach. Everyone should be worried if Deloach isn't actively recruiting the players that he will supervise.

HOW DARE YOU!!! DELOACH CAN DO NO WRONG!!!

Just wanted to go ahead and get that out of the way to save the other 84 other people who wanted to say it some trouble. Except they wouldn't be sarcastic.

Deloach shouldn't get a pass because he had success in 2002. Using that reasoning, DD should still be head coach. Everyone should be worried if Deloach isn't actively recruiting the players that he will supervise.

Seriously? Did you give Dodge a pass after year number ONE? DeLoach has been here ONE year. And in the meantime, re-read this story if you have read it already, because it really is a good piece: http://tysports.blogspot.com/2008/11/tina-...s-her-love.html

Seriously? Did you give Dodge a pass after year number ONE? DeLoach has been here ONE year. And in the meantime, re-read this story if you have read it already, because it really is a good piece: http://tysports.blogspot.com/2008/11/tina-...s-her-love.html

Jeez, I was just pointing out the hypocrasy of "Deloach is a proven commodity" comment, not calling for the guy to be fired! I would like to know if there is any other D1 program where the defensive coordinator is not active in recruiting the players for his defense. If this is true (unless someone on here works for the coaching staff, we'll never know), it should concern EVERYONE associated with this program.

Oh, Mendoza was here only one year, and no one seemed to mind his termination. (Just making a point)

And before you come back with "Deloach is a proven college coach", shouldn't that "proven" coach have been able to do a better job in his first year than the "unproven" high school coach Mendoza did in his first year? Guess Deloach is just waiting to get "his" players? Mendoza didn't get that chance.

Point being, both Mendoza and Delaoch underperformed, both are/were employees of Dodge, who has underperformed to this point.

Found this interesting. Our lone All American candidate, Casey Fitzgerald, was coached by a "high school" coach. Only 3 coaches on this coaching staff came from the high school level, the other 6 have coached at the college level:

1) David Rausch: Rausch coached two seasons at Hardin-Simmons University before coming to North Texas.

2) Chuck Petersen: Prior to North Texas, Petersen spent 17 years at Air Force. While with the Falcons, Petersen served as offensive coordinator for seven seasons and quarterbacks coach for 10 seasons. He also coached wide receivers from 1991-1996.

3) Spencer Leftwich: Prior to his return to North Texas, Leftwich spent four years at Tulsa, where he took Jeff Perrett (2006), Jesse Stoneham (2005), Derek Warehime (2004) and Austin Chadwick (2003) to all-conference first-team honors. Chadwick’s honor in 2003 was the first time since 1998 that a Tulsa offensive lineman had been named all-conference.

4) Clayton George - prior experience was high school, but was the position coach for Fitzgerald.

5) Shelton Gandy- Prior to North Texas, Gandy spent two seasons at Louisiana Tech.

6) Robert Drake: 17 years at Carroll, and obviously in over his head.

7) Todd Ford: high school

8) Gary Deloach: UNT, UCLA, pro level, etc.

9) Todd Dodge: coached here in '92, played quarterback in a major college football program

Point is 6 of the nine coaches have coached at the college level.

How long have you followed NT football?

Since I came to the school in '94, but I don't see what that has to do with DeLoach doing no better than a 1st year coach straight out of high school in WAY over his head, a guy for whom there was "NO EXCUSE" based on sheer statistical stinkyness of the team. Now, all of the sudden, because he's DeLoach, there are excuses coming out of the woodwork.

DeLoach ain't Bobby Flay. DeLoach is a guy who gave you a few great meals some years ago, and who just today served you a cold, greasy crap sandwich. You want to eat it up, fine. I'm not saying fire the guy. I'm saying he's coached a couple of years of great defense, and now he's got one of the worst ever on his resume. That's far from Dick Lebeau. Heck, it's not even Gary Gibbs.

I believe DeLoach CAN turn it around, but I'm not about to give the guy a pass for the atrocity that was our defense this year, NOR am I going to listen to any excuses drummed up by people who "know things." And I also believe he CAN fail at turning it around, because the sample size of his GREAT defenses is not significantly larger than his sample size of bad ones.

Jeez, I was just pointing out the hypocrasy of "Deloach is a proven commodity" comment, not calling for the guy to be fired! I would like to know if there is any other D1 program where the defensive coordinator is not active in recruiting the players for his defense. If this is true (unless someone on here works for the coaching staff, we'll never know), it should concern EVERYONE associated with this program.

Oh, Mendoza was here only one year, and no one seemed to mind his termination. (Just making a point)

Well for starters DeLoach has taken a horrible defense to a great defense before on the college level and Mendoza had not. It will be a little bit harder for DeLoach since he won't have guys like Eric Russell around to help him coaching and recruiting wise. DeLoach didn't do a whole lot of recruiting the first time he was here.

Well for starters DeLoach has taken a horrible defense to a great defense before on the college level and Mendoza had not. It will be a little bit harder for DeLoach since he won't have guys like Eric Russell around to help him coaching and recruiting wise. DeLoach didn't do a whole lot of recruiting the first time he was here.

Just get it done. No excuses.

Found this interesting. Our lone All American candidate, Casey Fitzgerald, was coached by a "high school" coach. Only 3 coaches on this coaching staff came from the high school level, the other 6 have coached at the college level:

1) David Rausch: Rausch coached two seasons at Hardin-Simmons University before coming to North Texas.

2) Chuck Petersen: Prior to North Texas, Petersen spent 17 years at Air Force. While with the Falcons, Petersen served as offensive coordinator for seven seasons and quarterbacks coach for 10 seasons. He also coached wide receivers from 1991-1996.

3) Spencer Leftwich: Prior to his return to North Texas, Leftwich spent four years at Tulsa, where he took Jeff Perrett (2006), Jesse Stoneham (2005), Derek Warehime (2004) and Austin Chadwick (2003) to all-conference first-team honors. Chadwick’s honor in 2003 was the first time since 1998 that a Tulsa offensive lineman had been named all-conference.

4) Clayton George - prior experience was high school, but was the position coach for Fitzgerald.

5) Shelton Gandy- Prior to North Texas, Gandy spent two seasons at Louisiana Tech.

6) Robert Drake: 17 years at Carroll, and obviously in over his head.

7) Todd Ford: high school

8) Gary Deloach: UNT, UCLA, pro level, etc.

9) Todd Dodge: coached here in '92, played quarterback in a major college football program

I see what you're going for Dozer, and while technically all that is true, giving any kind of cause/effect ratio to George and Fitzgerald is, IMHO, misguided.

Fitz was a holdover from Dickey's group, and was already far along enough in his development to the point that put in an offense that throws all the time, his success wasn't a surprise. I give Fitzgerald credit for Fitzgerald.

The biggest reason for this belief, though, is the abject failure across the board at the WR position minus Fitzgerald (and B-Jax last year, another DD holdover) with George as the position coach. I'm not blaming Coach George here, not at all - it's very possible we've witnessed the most epic recruiting fail at one position in CFB history; that being said, considering this offense, what was here and what's been recruited and emphasized here, and all the poor performance, drama, defections, and outright failures that have occured, there is strong argument that the WR position as a whole is the biggest disappointment and failure in the two year disaster we've been onhand to witness. (again, given the emphasis placed on it)

Since I came to the school in '94, but I don't see what that has to do with DeLoach doing no better than a 1st year coach straight out of high school in WAY over his head, a guy for whom there was "NO EXCUSE" based on sheer statistical stinkyness of the team. Now, all of the sudden, because he's DeLoach, there are excuses coming out of the woodwork.

DeLoach ain't Bobby Flay. DeLoach is a guy who gave you a few great meals some years ago, and who just today served you a cold, greasy crap sandwich. You want to eat it up, fine. I'm not saying fire the guy. I'm saying he's coached a couple of years of great defense, and now he's got one of the worst ever on his resume. That's far from Dick Lebeau. Heck, it's not even Gary Gibbs.

I believe DeLoach CAN turn it around, but I'm not about to give the guy a pass for the atrocity that was our defense this year, NOR am I going to listen to any excuses drummed up by people who "know things." And I also believe he CAN fail at turning it around, because the sample size of his GREAT defenses is not significantly larger than his sample size of bad ones.

I am making no excuses for anyone. My point is that Deloach is a proven D1 football coach that has had prior success putting together a solid defense. Did he recruit before? Does he not go on the road because "selling" isn't his forte? What is the norm at other schools? Do we really know that he isn't recruiting or is this all speculation? If he isn't recruiting, what is wrong with him communicating to the coaches that are who to go after?

Green Dozer please excuse me for tromping on your post.....you hit on a topic I had been working on but didn't finish. Good post. Keep on keeping on..OldTimer

1) David Rausch: Rausch coached two seasons at Hardin-Simmons University before coming to North Texas..Added: played at Hardin Simmons all conference his last 3 years and All American as a Jr. Played one season in the National Indoor football league, grad asst at HS, OKlahoma State for 2 years.

5) Shelton Gandy- Prior to North Texas, Gandy spent two seasons at Louisiana Tech. added: prior to La Tech coached 4 years at Southern Miss, began coaching career as asst coach at Miles College in Birmingham Ala. coached offensive backs, WR and special teams for one year. then to so Miss. he had 1 year stints at East Miss JC then back to East Miss CC for 6 years where he was offensive coordinator and QB coach

6) Robert Drake: 17 years at Carroll, and obviously in over his head. added: coached HS DL for 17 years and special teams for 11years.

7) Todd Ford: SLC high school offensive coordinator since 2004. Coached 8 years at 3 different HS's,..Former UT QB for 2 championships

8) Gary Deloach: UNT, UCLA, pro level : added: coached 5 years at NT from 1998 to 2002, including his final 3 as defensive coorinator, his 2002 was 3rd in US in scoring defence, 9th nationally in total defense, Last 5 years as defensive secondary coach at UCLA. his unit ranked in top 50 nationally in pass efficiency defense 4 times, 2003 led PAC 10 conf er passing defense and 32 nationally, Also coached special teams in 07 led Pac 10 and 6yh nationally in kickoff return coverage. 28 years as a college coach and 16 as defensive coordinator Def coord at SFA 1983-89 New Mex St 90 to 94, Trinity Valley CC in 97, Def secondary at A&M from 1980-82

9) Todd Dodge: coached here in '92, played quarterback in a major college football program added: Coached at NT as offensive coach in 92 and 93, Starting QB at UT still ranks #9 at UT in total yds and TD's. We know he was nationally ranked as a HS coach.

Quotes : Bill Parcells.."he is a coach who knows how to put together a successful operatin and compete at a high level for an extended period of time. Build a team and philosophy that has staying power..."

Quotes: Gary Pinkel...U. Missouri "A great hire for NT . Obviously a proven winner and great motivator...his offensive knowledge and deveployment of young QB. is as good as any I've ever seen.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Quotes: Mack Brown..UT..great coach and even better person. A COACH IS A COACH AT ANY LEVEL, AND TODD UNDERSTANDS THE ROLE OF THE COACH NT is lucky to hire him. MY SECOND POINT

**************************************************************************************************************************

Added: Mendoza evidently refused to adjust to college level defensive play....and paid the penallty. It looks like Drake may have reached the same level. BUT Todd Dodge faced facts and made decisions that needed to be made.

It has been discussed at length on the # of players and the mess that TD inherited so I won't rehash that again....but that issue has played a major part in our lack of success the last two years.

It's so easy to be critical and post on web sites saying things about individuals that you would not dare to say to them in person. Am I happy at our play and record: NO. but I feel we have a coach that has made some hard decisions on personnel, who is turning this situation around. I saw a very good offense in 08 that fell apart in 08 when we had to play with walk ons at that position, Our OL improved but Vizza still took too many blows, improvements in defense later in the 08 season, I saw players playing their hearts out, not giving up...we need to support our players and our coaches. We've had 2 very good recruiting seasons and 09 COULD be as good or better. In spite of our record we have a few quality recruits that are chosing NT over some major schools. These recruits have faith in NT's success that I fear a lot of our gmg members lack.

We threw DB's fresh out of HS to the wolves and playing time they were not ready for. They now have a lot of that experience and we can see better days for them. With some added defensive help we should see some more improvement next year in 09 and even more in 2010.

I see what you're going for Dozer, and while technically all that is true, giving any kind of cause/effect ratio to George and Fitzgerald is, IMHO, misguided.

Fitz was a holdover from Dickey's group, and was already far along enough in his development to the point that put in an offense that throws all the time, his success wasn't a surprise. I give Fitzgerald credit for Fitzgerald.

The biggest reason for this belief, though, is the abject failure across the board at the WR position minus Fitzgerald (and B-Jax last year, another DD holdover) with George as the position coach. I'm not blaming Coach George here, not at all - it's very possible we've witnessed the most epic recruiting fail at one position in CFB history; that being said, considering this offense, what was here and what's been recruited and emphasized here, and all the poor performance, drama, defections, and outright failures that have occured, there is strong argument that the WR position as a whole is the biggest disappointment and failure in the two year disaster we've been onhand to witness. (again, given the emphasis placed on it)

Well, no, I was not going for anything, really. Just glancing over the coaches, and noticed that we did not have as much as a high school staff as has been brought up so much. But since you said something, fact is neither of us can say what Fitzy would have done under Dickey. Did you see him in Dickey's offense? He flourished under this system, that is where his #'s came from. The offense was not installed here because he had ran up some big numbers before Dodge got here, so Dodge installed the spread because he was the next Crabtree.. And again, the ones who left, it happens. But to call the freshmen and sophmores that are still here busts at this point is not fare. I was not waiting for any of this, by the way. My post was just pointing out that the level of experience by the staff was not as is sometimes perceived, plain and simple.

Edited by Green Dozer