Is Being Bowl Eligible In 2009

NT03

In 2008, 74.... 74 teams out of 119 were BOWL eligible. Thats about 62 % of all DI schools. Would it really be too much to ask that we are at least bowl eligible by year 3 ??? If not , just how low do we set the standard here at UNT.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=495327

It's almost hard to do in college football these days -- not make it to a bowl.

From Shreveport to Boise, there's a place for almost everyone. Of the 119 teams eligible in the top division, 68 are going to a game somewhere, somehow.

So that leaves 51 teams back on campus, home for the holidays. Tennessee vs. Temple in the No-Go Bowl? Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan in the Missed-Out Classic?

"It's definitely odd," Tennessee wide receiver Josh Briscoe said recently.

Michigan made it to 33 straight bowls before this year's collapse. Auburn was a regular until this season's slide.

Washington and Washington State never had a chance. Neither did Mare Island -- the Naval shipyard's team from near San Francisco won the 1918 Rose Bowl, and stopped playing football long ago.

The festivities begin Dec. 20 with four games, including a pair of newcomers: Navy and Wake Forest meet in the EagleBank Bowl at RFK Stadium in Washington, then South Florida and Memphis play in the St. Petersburg Bowl at Tropicana Field.

Even with so many spots, four bowl-eligible teams were left out. Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette and San Jose State all went 6-6 and got passed over. Bring back the Bacardi Bowl and the Raisin Bowl, and there would be a place for them, too.

And for those woebegone teams in need of one more chance, consider Bowling Green's postseason history. In 1961, the school ended in a most appropriate place: the Mercy Bowl, which they lost. The unlucky 51, in alphabetical order: Akron, Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Army, Auburn, Baylor, Bowling Green, Colorado, Duke, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisville, Marshall, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Ohio, Purdue, SMU, San Diego State, San Jose State, Stanford, Syracuse, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Toledo, Tulane, UAB, UCF, UCLA, UNLV, UTEP, Utah State, Virginia, Washington, Washington State and Wyoming.

I agree with you NT03 but the problem here lies that for us to make it to a bowl game it would require us to atleast get 6 wins and with that some respect from the bowl people. I seriously hope I am wrong but I just don't see that happening in year 3 and perhaps maybe even in the Todd Dodge era here at North Texas.

Agreed. It would require a turnaround of epic proportions. As we have seen the past two years, a six-win team in the Belt is hardly guaranteed a bowl spot.

Going into the Todd Dodge era, I would have thought a Sun Belt championship by year 3 was realistic, although I don't know if I would have predicted it. But yes, this season has lowered my standards for next season. Six wins would make me very happy, bowl or no bowl.

I don't think being bowl eligible is asking too much...at all.

But, I do think there may be a few less bowls next year. It's just a guess....but I think 2-3 of the current ones may not be around in 2009.(And the Indy Bowl might just be one of those).

In 2008, 74.... 74 teams out of 119 were BOWL eligible. Thats about 62 % of all DI schools. Would it really be too much to ask that we are at least bowl eligible by year 3 ??? If not , just how low do we set the standard here at UNT.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=495327

It's almost hard to do in college football these days -- not make it to a bowl.

From Shreveport to Boise, there's a place for almost everyone. Of the 119 teams eligible in the top division, 68 are going to a game somewhere, somehow.

So that leaves 51 teams back on campus, home for the holidays. Tennessee vs. Temple in the No-Go Bowl? Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan in the Missed-Out Classic?

"It's definitely odd," Tennessee wide receiver Josh Briscoe said recently.

Michigan made it to 33 straight bowls before this year's collapse. Auburn was a regular until this season's slide.

Washington and Washington State never had a chance. Neither did Mare Island -- the Naval shipyard's team from near San Francisco won the 1918 Rose Bowl, and stopped playing football long ago.

The festivities begin Dec. 20 with four games, including a pair of newcomers: Navy and Wake Forest meet in the EagleBank Bowl at RFK Stadium in Washington, then South Florida and Memphis play in the St. Petersburg Bowl at Tropicana Field.

Even with so many spots, four bowl-eligible teams were left out. Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette and San Jose State all went 6-6 and got passed over. Bring back the Bacardi Bowl and the Raisin Bowl, and there would be a place for them, too.

And for those woebegone teams in need of one more chance, consider Bowling Green's postseason history. In 1961, the school ended in a most appropriate place: the Mercy Bowl, which they lost. The unlucky 51, in alphabetical order: Akron, Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Army, Auburn, Baylor, Bowling Green, Colorado, Duke, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kent State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisville, Marshall, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Ohio, Purdue, SMU, San Diego State, San Jose State, Stanford, Syracuse, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Toledo, Tulane, UAB, UCF, UCLA, UNLV, UTEP, Utah State, Virginia, Washington, Washington State and Wyoming.

A few bowl-eligible teams got there by beating 1AA teams, I didn't count how many. We don't play 1AA teams, we prefer to play teams that are undefeated in the SEC and MAC, teams with young squads. Helps a lot.

Bowl Elligible and going to a bowl are two very different things...

...the question is "is .500 too much to demand in 2009". The answer is NO, it isn't. However, I must point out we were closer to that mark in 2007 than we were in 2008.

a couple of lucky bounces going our way in 2007, and we were in better than half of the games that year, despite an impotent defense. Comepare that to the year we just witnessed.

it probably is asking too much to be bowl eligable next year. our ocg's nect year are alabama, ball state. ohio, and army. assuming we are 1&3, i don' t see us anywhere near 5&3 in conference. based upon our lack of improvement in 08,[actually we took a giant step back] and no changes to the coaching staff, expect more of the same. also, we make as much money home & home with mac teams than a home only with 1aa schools. if we can't compete with the mac, then we might as well drop back to the southland.

6-6 is not too much to ask in Year 3. I'll grant you that it's reasonable to anticipate losses to Alabama and Ball State, but Ohio was 4-8 this year and Army was 3-9. Neither Ohio and Army should not be counted as losses. It is reasonable to think that 2-2 is possible in non-conference, and 4-4 in conference is also reasonable.

I'm not saying UNT must win at least six games next year or Dodge gets fired. You have to look at the entirety of next season and the performances week to week. If UNT goes 5-7 and is very competitive, if you see marked improvement in all areas, that might be enough for a fourth year.

I will support this program and this team as I have for many years. I will renew my season tickets, be at every home game, and wish nothing but success for the players AND coaches. But the weekly 30-point losses and 21-point halftime deficits have to end now or a change must be made. An 0-6 start next year peppered with 20-plus-point losses is unacceptable.

All 4-8 gets you is off the Bottom Ten, and the goal should not be to simply no longer be a punchline. The days of that low bar are over.

Bowl Elligible and going to a bowl are two very different things...

Agree with this. We may finish 6-6 (don't we wish) but our recent poor past history could bite us and let another 6-6 take a spot over us. I would imagine we'd be close to last in consideration if tied with any BCS school or for any bowl outside 300 miles away. A win over Bama would help too. :rolleyes:

A bowl game?? Wow, now that is serious goal. I think Dodge's ass is on the line. I think he will go down if he chooses blood over the best Qb.

If he sits possibly one of the gritiest and most determined players UNT has seen, at that position, this team will implode and never trust their head coach.

I hear a rumor here or there (from street talk) but some of the younger players in some classes say he is totally committed. Staying the course is more important to some than going to a winner. I think Gio stays in spite of the potential father-son bs and keeps coming and laying out for his team and this university.

It would be a great story for Dodge and his staff to rebound. Gonna be tough with so many new offensive starters at WR and the pressure to win and win next season.

From reading the Vito blogs, it seems he is going JUCO extremely hard. This strategy was not in his initial football model of success but its obvious he wins next season or he is gone.

Edited by UNT2012

3 wins would be a great victory for this program. Seriously???, SERIOUSLY???...BOWL GAME!?? :blink:

That's the standard you set for us , 3 wins ???

If I would have started this same thread when TD was hired and said " By his 3rd year would you expect to be at least bowl eligible by Dodge's team?"

I'm sure NO one would of said , no that is too much to ask.

Edited by NT03

That's the standard you set for us , 3 wins ???

If I would have started this same thread when TD was hired and said " By his 3rd year would you expect to be at least bowl eligible by Dodge's 3rd year?"

I'm sure NO one would of said , no , that is too much to ask.

No, the standard, quite frankly, should have been the expectation of another SB Championship by year three of the TD era. I have not implied the declaration of a "standard" for season 3, nor shall I so boldly assume (and based on such evidence as I have seen this season) that we increase our win total from 1-2 to 6-7!!!

No, the standard, quite frankly, should have been the expectation of another SB Championship by year three of the TD era. I have not implied the declaration of a "standard" for season 3, nor shall I so boldly assume (and based on such evidence as I have seen this season) that we increase our win total from 1-2 to 6-7!!!

Agree. I'm just hoping for a improvement ... which quite frankly shouldn't be hard to do with what we have seen over the past few season

A bowl game?? Wow, now that is serious goal. I think Dodge's ass is on the line. I think he will go down if he chooses blood over the best Qb.

If he sits possibly one of the gritiest and most determined players UNT has seen, at that position, this team will implode and never trust their head coach.

I hear a rumor here or there (from street talk) but some of the younger players in some classes say he is totally committed. Staying the course is more important to some than going to a winner. I think Gio stays in spite of the potential father-son bs and keeps coming and laying out for his team and this university.

It would be a great story for Dodge and his staff to rebound. Gonna be tough with so many new offensive starters at WR and the pressure to win and win next season.

From reading the Vito blogs, it seems he is going JUCO extremely hard. This strategy was not in his initial football model of success but its obvious he wins next season or he is gone.

Why should Vizza or anyone else on the team be above competition? Grittiest and determined are great attributes, but not a replacement for being a good quarterback. By the way, I don't know how many NT QB's you've seen but there have been plenty with grit. Scott Davis for example had over 150 yards against SMU running fullbacklike primarily up the middle. Steve Ramsey led NT to victory in a thunderstorm (they would never allow it now, lighting everywhere) coming back for a win from a 30 point half time deficit to Cincinnati. MIlls throw for 5 fourth quarter tds against conference champion Utah State to led NT to one of it most improbable victories. Meager, the player Vizza replaced, suffered a number of concussions and never quit. Grit is more than running hard and trying to gain every possible inch, Vizza did that his freshman year, but I think wised up some last year and better picked his battles.

Vizza for whatever reason, be it his performance or the players around him, did not build on a better rookie season. Vizza has the most experience and should be the front runner for starting QB, however if a better player emerges they obviously should get the job. Being you are into speculation, I will guess that TD is not going to risk playing anybody at QB but the player that he feels is best for the team. I don't see TD risking his college career by playing favorites with his son, in fact I would imagine that he will probably lean the other way. You seem to discount the fact that the younger Dodge was a Parade All American quarterback and one of the highest rated recruits to ever sign with NT. I would be disappointed if he does not compete well against Vizza next year.

Vizza has the most experience and should be the front runner for starting QB, however if a better player emerges they obviously should get the job. Being you are into speculation, I will guess that TD is not going to risk playing anybody at QB but the player that he feels is best for the team. I don't see TD risking his college career by playing favorites with his son, in fact I would imagine that he will probably lean the other way. You seem to discount the fact that the younger Dodge was a Parade All American quarterback and one of the highest rated recruits to ever sign with NT. I would be disappointed if he does not compete well against Vizza next year.

This paragraph should be pinned at the top and required reading for anyone who wants to post about the Gio/Riley QB situation.