Vito Blog

NT80

Have to agree with Brett; all phases are bad and the future, as is, doesn't look good right now.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

"UNT is bad, really bad....

I wish I could say that I see hope for the future, but I don't at this point."

Vito's most factually and accurate blog of the season, which is unfortunate for us fans out here.

I feel horrible as a North Texas fan, but feel worse for the players because I cannot believe it humanly possible for them to be this bad...coaching is playing a part in this, and it a large part I feel at this point. I just don't think this staff is worth a crap. I am sorry if this is too strong for some, but the players on this team are not as bad as they look on the field...this coaching staff, minus a few proven coaches (Lefty, who has done the most with the least, and DeLoach who I believe is under used), is down right pathetic.

I have to wonder what it will take for Coach Dodge not to loose his job after next season?

1. win more than two games?

2. win more than four games?

3. win more than six games?

4. anything under 500. and he will be canned.

I love Coach Dodge but you have to be man enough to know that whatever you are doing, its not working. I don't think its him nor do I think its the players. Its just not the right mix of ingredients.

look at Notre Dame and their situation. Seemingly good coach and players, just not the right mix!

I have to wonder what it will take for Coach Dodge not to loose his job after next season?

I love Coach Dodge but you have to be man enough to know that whatever you are doing, its not working. I don't think its him nor do I think its the players. Its just not the right mix of ingredients.

look at Notre Dame and their situation. Seemingly good coach and players, just not the right mix!

ND is at the very least in games till the end. We are out of games by the break.

I have to wonder what it will take for Coach Dodge not to lose his job after next season?

Fixed....

and...I wonder how much of this is related to the AD just not wanting to give up on a hire that he stuck his neck out on?? No insider info coming from me, just wondering aloud.

Will Dodge really go down? Not hardly. If he does, it will be a whirlwind event just like two years ago. I just don't see it happen.

RV, would do himself justice by making what he feels like is best for the team in the longterm, now.

Either he believes in Dodge or he doesn't, if he does not, then his decision should be immediate.

RV was so impressed with Dodge when he came on board. RV would talk about how organized practice was, how well the team was being coached, and just gushing with pride about one TD. Is the honeymoon over? Well, RV has spent more time on the sideline this season. He even yells at the players some.

RV is feeling the pressure but what is he gonna do, blow several hundred thousand dollars and fire him? Only if a bigger, proven name is out there and who would that be?

Who is willing to come to Fouts field on the hope a stadium gets built? On a program where the student body will never travel to a road game, unless its SMU. On a program where the alumni never travel? On a program where there is no alumni dollars for football?

I guess I answered my own question. Nobody worth a crap.

Edited by nautique

As far as I know, no one forced Simon, Dickey or Dodge to take the coaching job at NT. Nether did the resources get worse after they took the job. DD constant denigration of a program that he coached did nothing to the relieve the problems but it did IMO almost guarantee that DD would ultimately fail both at NT and his goal of getting a better coaching gig.

Vito is obviously enjoying kicking the program while it is way down and it is very easy to do at this time. I don't really blame him but I think this article is a little over the line. One of TD many errors was the way he chose to threat local sport writers. The facts are that NT greatly lags in support compared to all the other 1a schools in Texas but I don't buy that it is not on par with the majority of the Belt.

NT athletics has more than its share of warts. However, there are a great number of positives that are generally ignored. The size and location of the school. The generally portrayed apathetic alumni base that could also be viewed as a vast untapped resource. A new stadium actually being a strong possibility. Things are moving in the right direction off the field, and unfortunately all that is being blotted out by the on-field performance.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The only thing worse than North Texas football is (what is becoming) a large number of its fans.

You stupid Sugar Daddy Rick, you should've known that this was doomed for failure from the start. Why didn't you just do a one or two year contract so we could afford to dump this joke of a coaching staff now?

I am just as unhappy as the rest of you. I think that the futility has gone far enough but I don't know the cost of the bailout or what was promised at the signing. Rather than blame Rick, how about targeting the architect of this disaster. Coach Dodge, do the honorable thing and resign at the end of the season.

Todd Dodge was not my choice at the hiring but I never in my wildest dreams thought that he could be a disaster of this magnitude. Don Carthel was my favorite but I'm not about to sit here and point fingers as many of you are wont to do that this was a terrible hire. It was not a "terrible" hire; it just turned out that way.

Surely RV knows how we feel about our coaching situation. We may have to endure another season of ineptness before we can afford to make the change. I'm not hopeful that Dodge can right the ship. If he cannot then I would expect Rick to drop the blade as soon as a .500 season is not possible. Until then I see not reason for outrage. The comments are not helpful, funny, or necessary. They con only do further harm and we don't need that.

I don't think its him nor do I think its the players. Its just not the right mix of ingredients

NO, the answer is "it is him".

Will Dodge really go down? Not hardly. If he does, it will be a whirlwind event just like two years ago. I just don't see it happen.

RV, would do himself justice by making what he feels like is best for the team in the longterm, now.

Either he believes in Dodge or he doesn't, if he does not, then his decision should be immediate.

RV was so impressed with Dodge when he came on board. RV would talk about how organized practice was, how well the team was being coached, and just gushing with pride about one TD. Is the honeymoon over? Well, RV has spent more time on the sideline this season. He even yells at the players some.

RV is feeling the pressure but what is he gonna do, blow several hundred thousand dollars and fire him? Only if a bigger, proven name is out there and who would that be?

Who is willing to come to Fouts field on the hope a stadium gets built? On a program where the student body will never travel to a road game, unless its SMU. On a program where the alumni never travel? On a program where there is no alumni dollars for football?

I guess I answered my own question. Nobody worth a crap.

What a rant!!!

First...I am sure there are plenty of HC talent that would love to have a one in 119 job opportunity at a 35,000 student university in the DFW area.

Two...UNT alumni and students will travel if you give them a reason....should have been at the Houston game...where we were humiliated once again.

Three...burning several hundred grand is probably cheaper than keeping a losing coach of TD caliber.....suck up and fire him...(I just don't understand why UNT should pay him anything for his failure...obvious he didn't even come close to doing his job...may him get it in court...paying him for eing a failure is STUPID).

Forth...the stadium is a done deal...count on it

fifth....where to you think some of the money for the AC came from...tennis?...planning , etc for stadium...did you forget about the recent 1.5 million donation by the Goldfields?...how about the million dollar BUS?....there is plenty of money for this program if the University will get off their ass and get this program in gear...stadium, committment, aggressive actions in all respects regarding this program....be agreesive, move faster.

RV's reputation can only be harmed by keeping TD another year if TD fails again...not likely TD would even be competitive for several more years...probably never. If RV fires TD then he will gain respect...most will say he will not tolerate failure at UNT and he's our man...a new coach will energize the program again...keeping TD will not...especially if he were to win less than 6-7 games and well.....that 's just not going to happen.