Someone Tell Me......

DeepGreen

What does Rick Villareal and the rest of the Athletic Department do, sit on their collective arses and plan for the next tailgate party? Here's the latest from Beaumont and Lamar's fundraising. Tidely little sums being pledged, don't you think?

"From the board of regents meetings:

The Beaumont Bone & Joint Institute pledged $250,000 to the football program so the new athletic complex will be named the Beaumont Bone & Joint Institute Training Room.

Mr. and Mrs. Bart Simmons of Dallas pledged $200,000 so the football practice field will be named The Vernon Glass Field of Champions."

How about this Lamar news from a week ago?

When we first announced the Athletic Center, didn't we sell these exact naming rights to some Denton Hospital? Also, last I checked - we got a cool million for the namind rights of the practice fields, not a lousy $200K. Look, everyone is hopping up and down excited down at Lamar that they are going to tee it up against the likes of Central Arkansas and Sam Houston pretty soon. Let them have their moment in the sun. I am sure if we had decomissioned our program and just brought it back after 20 years, there would be a lot of excitement in the Denton area as well.

"I am sure if we had decomissioned our program and just brought it back after 20 years, there would be a lot of excitement in the Denton area as well."

NOW you are onto something, Stebo...but I probably won't live that long.

"I am sure if we had decomissioned our program and just brought it back after 20 years, there would be a lot of excitement in the Denton area as well."

NOW you are onto something, Stebo...but I probably won't live that long.

From comments made by some people on this board regarding our stint in 1-AA, that's just what happened to us.....and Denton hardly noticed.

When we first announced the Athletic Center, didn't we sell these exact naming rights to some Denton Hospital? Also, last I checked - we got a cool million for the namind rights of the practice fields, not a lousy $200K. Look, everyone is hopping up and down excited down at Lamar that they are going to tee it up against the likes of Central Arkansas and Sam Houston pretty soon. Let them have their moment in the sun. I am sure if we had decomissioned our program and just brought it back after 20 years, there would be a lot of excitement in the Denton area as well.

According to the athletic site-

Training & Rehabilitation Center, $500,000, Funded

Hall of Fame, $420,000, Funded

Head Coach's Office, $100,000, Funded

Head Football Coach's Suite, $100,000, Funded

Team Meeting Rooms(6), $75,000, Funded (1)

Softball Stadium, $500,000, Funded

Tennis Center, Funded

And how long ago did we start the Athletic Center? '03, '04??

My point is, Lamar just approved FCS football in early 2008. I'd say they've done a great job of going after money from their Alumni and friends of Lamar in such a short time. Who knows what ExxonMobil, Jason's Deli, Conns, and other Corporate citizens will chip in.

Edited by DeepGreen

Lamar that they are going to tee it up against the likes of Central Arkansas and Sam Houston pretty soon.

Don't knock the UCA and SHSU fans as they at least get behind their teams unlike a majority of the UNT population.

Also right now UCA and 2/3 of the Southland would beat the hell out of this team.

Edited by untbowler

From comments made by some people on this board regarding our stint in 1-AA, that's just what happened to us.....and Denton hardly noticed.

Why is it so important for Denton to notice, when there are another 70K alumnae in the DFW area who do not seem to remember where they went to school? How about those folks stepping up to the plate? It just amazes me how we keep looking for handouts through student fees, the city of Denton, corporate sponsor, etc. That is the sign of a program on welfare. Why not be like many other programs and alumnae stepping up to do their part.? You can go to downtown Denton on gameday, and stop ten people. I think you would be way overestimating the number of them who would know that North Texas is playing a football game. I have stopped at the 7-11 on Oak to buy beer on the way, and have had clerks ask "Is there a game today?" What is that, a mile from the stadium. It is not like Denton is making a ton of money in sales tax from hotel rooms and the eating establishments when there is a game at Fouts. My point is when we get more people like you and I to support the stadium, these others that you think should will follow.

I see your point Silver, but the lack of support by the city of Denton is not the problem here.

Pond or Ocean? DFW is where we should focus our donation search. Poor football play is certainly not helping inspire the sleeping NT masses about giving, but I doubt there are many BIG fish in Denton. Most of Denton doesn't even know NT has an athletic program, or care.

Edited by NT80