Questioning Vizza

MeanGreenZen

Everyone is frustrated with this team. No one has invested more and gotten less in return than the players themselves. That must be wildly disappointing for them.

But Giovanni Vizza is supposed to be the leader of this team and he is ducking interviews with the press after the game. Is that how a leader acts? Did Scott Hall do that? After throwing three interceptions and getting blown out at Homecoming shouldn't Vizza have the courage to answer the questions about what went wrong and offer his take on how they can get better?

During a disappointing season, I understand not wanting to talk about it and I would forgive a guy who didn't want to participate in some mid-week press requests (since he has school obligations and filmwork and so on). But right after a game, a leader needs to step up, face the press and take his medicine. Especially after throwing three interceptions. That is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his character. Vizza's failure to do that is also an indictment against Todd Dodge, who should know better than to let his starting quarterback behave that way.

Vizza sure was available to answer questions from the media last season when he was setting freshman passing records. I would feel much more certain about him being the man to turn this program around if he could stand up and be a voice of accountability and hope for this team's future. If he can't do that, maybe it is time to give someone else a chance.

Even a spineless wimp like Chris Simms had the balls to face the media after a tough loss when he played at Texas (even though Mack Brown answered all his questions).

I've seen Vizza run over defensive linemen who weigh 100 pounds more than him. There is no doubt about his physical toughness. I'm just starting to question if he has the mental toughness to remain the starting quarterback of this team.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Everyone is frustrated with this team. No one has invested more and gotten less in return than the players themselves. That must be wildly disappointing for them.

But Giovanni Vizza is supposed to be the leader of this team and he is ducking interviews with the press after the game. Is that how a leader acts? Did Scott Hall do that? After throwing three interceptions and getting blown out at Homecoming shouldn't Vizza have the courage to answer the questions about what went wrong and offer his take on how they can get better?

During a disappointing season, I understand not wanting to talk about it and I would forgive a guy who didn't want to participate in some mid-week press requests (since he has school obligations and filmwork and so on). But right after a game, a leader needs to step up, face the press and take his medicine. Especially after throwing three interceptions. That is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his character.

Vizza sure was available to answer questions from the media last season when he was setting freshman passing records. I would feel much more certain about him being the man to turn this program around if he could stand up and be a voice of accountability and hope for this team's future. If he can't do that, maybe it is time to give someone else a chance.

Even a spineless wimp like Chris Simms had the balls to face the media after a tough loss when he played at Texas (even though Mack Brown answered all his questions).

I've seen Vizza run over defensive linemen who weigh 100 pounds more than him. There is no doubt about his physical toughness. I'm just starting to question if he has the mental toughness to remain the starting quarterback of this team.

Just a question, did he actually duck the media or did Todge shelter him like he did Mendoza last season? I'm only asking because honestly I don't know.

0-8 can wear on anybody. What more does he have left to say. We have lost for the same reasons each game so I'm sure he gets sick of listing the same shiznit over and over about why we blow balls right now. I see what your saying but I also understand where the don is coming from. Even pros duck an interview now and then. Its just the frustration starting to show a little off the field. I guess its just not that big of a deal to me. On the upside some less known player gets to fill his spot and give a different perspective on what's going wrong.

Just a question, did he actually duck the media or did Todge shelter him like he did Mendoza last season? I'm only asking because honestly I don't know.

Star-Telegram says VIZZA declined interview requests. And I can understand being upset in the heat of the moment, but Todd Dodge and UNT's sports information department needs to have some scene control and make sure the Quarterback of the the football team is available to the media. Unless everyone over there is overwhelmed and giving up on turning this thing around.

When the head coach does not come into the locker room and talk to his players after a game that is where it starts. He is to good he was 79 and 1 in high school. Get your head out of you ass and build this team to the level it should be.

That is more alarming than vizza not wanting to talk to media.

During a disappointing season, I understand not wanting to talk about it and I would forgive a guy who didn't want to participate in some mid-week press requests (since he has school obligations and filmwork and so on). But right after a game, a leader needs to step up, face the press and take his medicine. Especially after throwing three interceptions. That is an opportunity for him to demonstrate his character. Vizza's failure to do that is also an indictment against Todd Dodge, who should know better than to let his starting quarterback behave that way.

I believe he took that medicine on the field. So the kid didn't speak to the press after the game. Big deal.

This ridiculous post makes me wonder if the "MG" in your name stands for MassenGill.

I believe he took that medicine on the field. So the kid didn't speak to the press after the game. Big deal.

This ridiculous post makes me wonder if the "MG" in your name stands for MassenGill.

Who's Massen Gill?

I don't think that anyone expected us to win this game... Vizza's picks and poor choices might have actually cost us this game. Sometimes it is better to say nothing at all than say something you will regret. I imgaine that Dodge has tried to say anything and everything that he can think of to try and pick this team up after a loss... sometimes silence is more powerful than words. I realize that you are dissapointed and so is your son, I feel bad that he has to end his career this way as well. We are building for the future and unfortunately it is really ugly right now. The only way to get better is to go through these growing pains, I just hope that the kids are learning from their mistakes because there are a shitload of mistakes being made.

Vizza's picks and poor choices might have actually cost us this game.

Vizza's had very little to do with costing us this game. A player does what he is coached to do during the week. When the coach moves practice into the PEB on Wed (the day that most work is done and makes that practice 45 min. then the players can not be coached up to win.

I imgaine that Dodge has tried to say anything and everything that he can think of to try and pick this team up after a loss... sometimes silence is more powerful than words.

Yea he tells the team that he has given up and there is nothing that he can do to help them improve. A team looks to the coaches for leadership and direction so now you know where they are headed.

I realize that you are dissapointed and so is your son, I feel bad that he has to end his career this way as well.

He knew his career was over after game 5 of last year. TD ego would never let me see the field again. TD made it clear that Vizza was his QB even during his recruting trip when it was anounced that he was going to build this program around Vizza. TD made one mistake he said that he would play the player that had the best results in two-a-days. That lasted for four games.

The only way to get better is to go through these growing pains, I just hope that the kids are learning from their mistakes because there are a shitload of mistakes being made.

I totally disagree wiht this statement the only way to get better is to be coached and learn from these growing pains and on the field mistakes. Ford and George are the worst coaches that this school has seen in the last 10 years. Many on this board want Drakes job that is just a start. This group of young men could learn and grow but the way it is going now you are seeing them wasted.

Does the "AD" in your name ADman stand for "a douche"?

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

I was not so disappointed in the play as the playcalling. The wide tosses to WR for a 3-yard gain is getting old. The QB keeper around end for two yards is a give-up call. 3rd and 15 and we go for a 7-yard down and in? I don't get the lack of longer passing attempts.

He knew his career was over after game 5 of last year. TD ego would never let me see the field again. TD made it clear that Vizza was his QB even during his recruting trip when it was anounced that he was going to build this program around Vizza. TD made one mistake he said that he would play the player that had the best results in two-a-days. That lasted for four games.

Believe it or not, I do respect you Danny. I don't know if typing "me" was a mistake or the combo of a dad and son posting together but I thank and respect both of you. I am not happy with the rsults on the field but I also know that sometimes it is better to say nothing at all... sometimes people say stuff when their emotions come out and they want to take it back later. We can second guess lots of things by this coaching staff, that is a fair statement. In fact, we lost a ton of players over the last 12 months to graduation and problems off the field... It was a hurdle that is impossible to get over this season without recruiting. I guess that we will just have to see how things play out over the next year and a half.

As for Dodge, his record, and the crowds - It is amazing how easy it really is to be accepted at NT as a coach. If DD had just embraced the NT community, they would have rallied around him and the team the same way that the fans are rallying around this coach and this team. DD had a massive ego, just like Dodge... most coaches, players, and parents of players seem to have egos - in order to be succesful on the field, you kinda have to have a big ego, you know?

BTW, when I said that it was dissapointing for Danny to end his career this way - I didn't mean him personally (playing)... I meant to see his team losing. Danny simply did not have the mobility to keep himself safe in this system and Dodge probably fel that he would have been badly injured by now. The spread is tough on a QB, Vizza is constantly on the run and it is almost like he is being blitzed every single play. Danny was the perfect fit for the Dickey system but Dickey is gone and we just have to move on. Why not focus on the good things? He is getting a great education and will graduate without student loans... I know that it isn't free because being a player is harder than working a regular job while in college - but a scholarship is a blessing. God gave Danny the natural ability to play a game and get an education from his talent! Why not embrace that and be thankful? I have never seen so much as a thank you, just complants. Do you know that the people on this board donate to the Mean Green Club and that helps to pay for your son's education? Why be so angry at a school that has been so good to your son and your family? I think that your whole family should be thankful of that rather than bitter about the coach's decisions. Anyhow, I appreciate your family choosing NT for Danny, even if you think it was a mistake now. Life is bigger than a football game. It is about memories and learning. Your son has grown up during these years and I hope that you can appreciate that NT has given him that opportunity.

I imagine that next year we will see very little posting from PHSCoach, I have watched many players come and go and when their son is done playing, the parents just move along to the next thing. I thank you for supporting your son but we really need people that will support the program for life, not just an individual for 4-5 years. I hope that you are the exception to the rule but from the tone of your statements it makes me think that you have a bitterness towards NT. There are die hard fans that also have a bitterness right now but they aren't going anywhere... they love their school and want it to succeed. It is almost like you want to see us do bad to show that you are right. I hope that I am wrong, I really do. We need all the true fans that we can get. I hope that you will be a fan for life, like the rest of us. Things will come back around - with or without Todd Dodge. It is a fun ride being a NT fan, sometimes it is very frustrating - but it is always fun to cheer for an underdog. Hopefully this message finds you well and I hope nothing but the best for Danny, your family, and every player on that field. I know it is painful to be a player right now and I am sorry that you are all having to go through this. Hopefully there are better times ahead... if not, we will just get a new coach and try again. That is life as a NT fan.

It's amazing that people pin this disaster on Vizza. Just amazing.

The guy is playing behind the worst offensive line (or, second worst...I haven't seen Idaho's this year...nor would I want to) in college football. He has a coach who has no clue about how to attack defenses with the kind of speed that is common to this level of football. He has one, maybe two, legitimate targets to throw to (Fitzgerald and Stickler) per game - this despite his coach oversigning WRs in the first two recruiting class to the detriment of the offensive and defensive lines.

He should have taken his scholarship offer to Nevada. They were a bowl team last year. They are 4-4 this year with the possibility of going to their fourth consecutive bowl game. They have a head coach who has almost 200 career wins, 37 years of college coaching experience, and has a history of really putting together good offenses.

Instead, he's at a place where he's questioned for the stupidity and ineptitude of his own head coach and high school-hired offensive coordinator. Ridiculous.

Vizza has the talent to be a very good quarterback at this level. He should do what's best for him from here on out. That would include leaving North Texas, going to a Kansas or California JUCO for a year, then signing with a real football program in 2010. He didn't redshirt, so he's still got three years. After a year of JUCO ball, he could sign with a legitimate school with a legitimate coach, redshirt for a year, then light it up as a senior in 2011.

But, to suggest that Vizza is in anyway to blame for this school being 0-8 is the height of absurdity; an insult to the best, and without question, toughest player on the offensive side of the ball for us.

He should call his buddy Dibrell, too, and they should hit a JUCO together in 2009, and salvage the three years of eligibility they have remaining.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

The guy is playing behind the worst offensive line (or, second worst...I haven't seen Idaho's this year...nor would I want to) in college football. He has a coach who has no clue about how to attack defenses with the kind of speed that is common to this level of football. He has one, maybe two, legitimate targets to throw to (Fitzgerald and Stickler) per game - this despite his coach oversigning WRs in the first two recruiting class to the detriment of the offensive and defensive lines.

He should have taken his scholarship offer to Nevada. They were a bowl team last year. They are 4-4 this year with the possibility of going to their fourth consecutive bowl game. They have a head coach who has almost 200 career wins, 37 years of college coaching experience, and has a history of really putting together good offenses.

Instead, he's at a place where he's questioned for the stupidity and ineptitude of his own head coach and high school-hired offensive coordinator. Ridiculous.

Vizza has the talent to be a very good quarterback at this level. He should do what's best for him from here on out. That would include leaving North Texas, going to a Kansas or California JUCO for a year, then signing with a real football program in 2010. He didn't redshirt, so he's still got three years. After a year of JUCO ball, he could sign with a legitimate school with a legitimate coach, redshirt for a year, then light it up as a senior in 2011.

But, to suggest that Vizza is in anyway to blame for this school being 0-8 is the height of absurdity; an insult to the best, and without question, toughest player on the offensive side of the ball for us.

He should call his buddy Dibrell, too, and they should hit a JUCO together in 2009, and salvage the three years of eligibility they have remaining.

It has to be pinned on someone else other than Dodge - if it was pinned on him, it would then be admitting that this whole thing is not working out.

The QB gets the blame, its just part of the job. What do you say when two sure td passes were dropped last week?

What do you say when Roberson has a fade route and never makes even an attempt to go to the ball ala Roy Williams just a minute ago. Oh yeah, and his third int. last night was right in the hands of Dickerson and then he bobbles it for Troy to intercept.

What do you want him to say? That he throws to 3 non scholarship WR's? That we have no running game and although Troy just had 3 sacks that he was lying on the ground on just about everythrow.

I agree with some others, he should have gone to Conference USA or the WAC.

Hell, Danny should have played all last season and Vizza should have red shirted. But who made that call?

Dodge is setting up his son to be the savior. We all know that. It's cool.

What is left to say? He could have said our OL sucks and I was getting my ass kicked by the pass rush, he could say that we have no speed on the outside WR set. We could say why do we play three non scholarship WR's in the top 5? He could say why don't we max pass protect with a TE? He could ask why wasn't I red shirted? He could also ask why he has 6 or 7 dropped TD passes this season? Shit, if he would only talk but no he declines and absorbs the heat.

Qb's get the blame, he deserves his share. But it is better to have a cooling period off than to go talk to some clowns with the media.

I think there's a difference between laying the entirety of this season's difficulties on Vizza and pointing out that he shares some responsibility for it. When the tackle blows an assignment, and Gio's running for his life, I don't blame him for erratic passing and shaky decision making. But when he did have time, I saw the same thing. Throws two feet above the receiver, two feet too high, into double and triple coverage... those are the kinds of things that kill you. No, the offensive line hasn't been great, but i keep looking for the swiss cheese effort that I hear about every week, and I just don't see it.

What I have begun to question is whether or not the wide receivers are doing their job. If they're not getting open, or running bad routes, then I think you can put some of that blame on them, too. If that's the case, then you have to wonder if picking up nine receivers year isn't a bad recruiting strategy...

Believe it or not, I do respect you Danny. I don't know if typing "me" was a mistake or the combo of a dad and son posting together but I thank and respect both of you. I am not happy with the rsults on the field but I also know that sometimes it is better to say nothing at all... sometimes people say stuff when their emotions come out and they want to take it back later. We can second guess lots of things by this coaching staff, that is a fair statement. In fact, we lost a ton of players over the last 12 months to graduation and problems off the field... It was a hurdle that is impossible to get over this season without recruiting. I guess that we will just have to see how things play out over the next year and a half.

As for Dodge, his record, and the crowds - It is amazing how easy it really is to be accepted at NT as a coach. If DD had just embraced the NT community, they would have rallied around him and the team the same way that the fans are rallying around this coach and this team. DD had a massive ego, just like Dodge... most coaches, players, and parents of players seem to have egos - in order to be succesful on the field, you kinda have to have a big ego, you know?

BTW, when I said that it was dissapointing for Danny to end his career this way - I didn't mean him personally (playing)... I meant to see his team losing. Danny simply did not have the mobility to keep himself safe in this system and Dodge probably fel that he would have been badly injured by now. The spread is tough on a QB, Vizza is constantly on the run and it is almost like he is being blitzed every single play. Danny was the perfect fit for the Dickey system but Dickey is gone and we just have to move on. Why not focus on the good things? He is getting a great education and will graduate without student loans... I know that it isn't free because being a player is harder than working a regular job while in college - but a scholarship is a blessing. God gave Danny the natural ability to play a game and get an education from his talent! Why not embrace that and be thankful? I have never seen so much as a thank you, just complants. Do you know that the people on this board donate to the Mean Green Club and that helps to pay for your son's education? Why be so angry at a school that has been so good to your son and your family? I think that your whole family should be thankful of that rather than bitter about the coach's decisions. Anyhow, I appreciate your family choosing NT for Danny, even if you think it was a mistake now. Life is bigger than a football game. It is about memories and learning. Your son has grown up during these years and I hope that you can appreciate that NT has given him that opportunity.

I imagine that next year we will see very little posting from PHSCoach, I have watched many players come and go and when their son is done playing, the parents just move along to the next thing. I thank you for supporting your son but we really need people that will support the program for life, not just an individual for 4-5 years. I hope that you are the exception to the rule but from the tone of your statements it makes me think that you have a bitterness towards NT. There are die hard fans that also have a bitterness right now but they aren't going anywhere... they love their school and want it to succeed. It is almost like you want to see us do bad to show that you are right. I hope that I am wrong, I really do. We need all the true fans that we can get. I hope that you will be a fan for life, like the rest of us. Things will come back around - with or without Todd Dodge. It is a fun ride being a NT fan, sometimes it is very frustrating - but it is always fun to cheer for an underdog. Hopefully this message finds you well and I hope nothing but the best for Danny, your family, and every player on that field. I know it is painful to be a player right now and I am sorry that you are all having to go through this. Hopefully there are better times ahead... if not, we will just get a new coach and try again. That is life as a NT fan.

Daniel doesn't post or read this board anymore. I am Daniel's dad. Don't misunderstand my postings. I am very proud of my son, he is handling this situation and has much to be proud of. He and a handful of his teamates are the last to have a sunbelt championship ring on their hands, their redshirt freshman year they won their first game and they started the season 1-0 with a win over MT, they lost to each of the sunbelt teams by an average of 2 points per game, 10 total points for the season. They may have gone 3-9 but they were not a bad football team, they were young, but as Daniel told us, if you want to play D1 football you are young for two games. The seniors they meet when they came in were expected to be role models for them, the seniors were respected by the coaching staff and their teamates. Daniel's experience at NT has been a true lesson in life. We look for the positive, and there is alot to be grateful for and alot of good memories. The first trip to LSU, Tiger Stadium, they may have lost the game and the score didn't look good, but the team played their heart out, they never gave up. Playing infront of 90K crazy yelling football fans is a football players dream, the 7 overtime win over FIU at homecoming, playing on the same team with Patrick Cobb, Jamario Thomas, Johnny Quinn, Scott Hall, Casey Fitzgerald, Awason and there are many more, breaking school records and putting UNT on a list that only 12 other QB's in NCAA history have ever achieved, becoming a man.

Bitter, I'm not bitter. Daniel will graduate from UNT and be a UNT Alum, one of you. He could have transferred, but didn't. UNT is as much his university as it is yours, all the guys he has played with are great memories. Daniel will be successful in life no matter what he does.

As a parent of a player I am sick and tired of reading and listening to all the hype about Dodge and his great system and how Great he is. He is great in his own mind and has brainwashed anyone that will listen to him into believing it. You can call me bitter, but the truth is the truth. You don't treat anyone the way Dodge has treated some of these players. He preaches class and character, he apparently needs to look up the definition of those words. There are bad things going on with this team and there are no consequences for their actions for breaking the rules. As a parent you intrust coaches with your kid, pray you taught your kid all the right things to do and hope that the coaching staff enforces the rules and looks out for your kid. The current staff has failed to meet that challenge.

The Meager's are Mean Green Club members, have 4 season tickets and have donated and supported this program for the past four years. Will we continue to support the program? Good question!

He should have taken his scholarship offer to Nevada.

I didn't see anyone pinning this disaster on Vizza, only questioning why he refused to stand up and be accountable to the press and thus the fans and supporters of this program, even when things are not good.

As far as Dibrell, check out the Denton County Sheriff's Department website (this is public information that everyone on this board is entitled to). I wouldn't want Vizza "hitting" anything with Dibrell. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer players we have on the team with police records the better.

As far as Vizza and how you claim he should have gone to Nevada... well if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Vizza chose to come to UNT. He is here and needs to make the best of it. He has been given a lot of responsibility on this team and if he walks away, that would be weak and pathetic. Anyone can walk away when things are tough. It takes character and strength to hold on and turn things around. I hope Vizza falls into the latter category.

I think there's a difference between laying the entirety of this season's difficulties on Vizza and pointing out that he shares some responsibility for it. When the tackle blows an assignment, and Gio's running for his life, I don't blame him for erratic passing and shaky decision making. But when he did have time, I saw the same thing. Throws two feet above the receiver, two feet too high, into double and triple coverage... those are the kinds of things that kill you. No, the offensive line hasn't been great, but i keep looking for the swiss cheese effort that I hear about every week, and I just don't see it.

What I have begun to question is whether or not the wide receivers are doing their job. If they're not getting open, or running bad routes, then I think you can put some of that blame on them, too. If that's the case, then you have to wonder if picking up nine receivers year isn't a bad recruiting strategy...

Well, then this all goes beyond what's going on at gametime, it's more or less a coaching issue. If Dodge isn't the guy, then who? If you ask me, I say we give Deloach a shot since there aren't exactly a list of people wanting to coach at UNT.

Fair enough coach, fair enough. There are few people in this world that I have 100% respect for and just trust that they know character. Harry and FFRick are two of those people. Rick has spoken highly of you many times and I respect his opinion more than words can say. I just was trying to say that we look at things from a different angle than the parents. I am saddened by the state of the team and looking for positives for the future and I can hear the anger in your post. Not that one is right or wrong; but there is a difference. For everything positive that you post about Dickey and his team, I could list off about 5 things that were going wrong to outweigh those positives. I was very close to several players, they worked for me - they are friends of mine... even still. I don't know if you really know how out of control things were under Dickey... and yes, I know about the things now as well... but the shenanigans going on now is NOTHING compared to what was going on during the Dickey years. If I were a parent, I would take Dodge and his ego over Dickey and his antics. But neither one really matters in the long run. I was here before they got here and I will be here long after they are gone. I am not trying to play down your opinion; but the fact of the matter is that you probably won't be... hopefully Danny will be a fan like Rick and Harry... and he sees that coaches and players come and go; but the program is bigger than either. Take care and thank you for sending Danny to North Texas, he is a FINE young man and I have enjoyed watchig him play. Take care.