It Is Time To Begin The Next Coach Discussion

shaft

bottom line...Dodge isn't going anywhere after this season. He only has 1.5 recruiting classes under his belt. This bickering is pointless as is the effort for those who constantly complain about our program.

If RV doesn't even consider it then RV's job should be in question too because that would be one of the more absurd things I have seen in sports in a long long time.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No truthfully..... Dodge might not go anywhere because of the $$$$$ issue...

We cant get a good quality turn it around coach in here for what he is being paid. Dodge is getting paid $275,000 a year plus amenties. If we let loose of Dodge, then it would be hard for us to get the good quality coach in here for our program.

By the way Dodge is #12 on this list and will hit the top ten this weekend and will be on top of the list by the end of the season. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/index.htm

No truthfully..... Dodge might not go anywhere because of the $$$$$ issue...

We cant get a good quality turn it around coach in here for what he is being paid. Dodge is getting paid $275,000 a year plus amenties. If we let loose of Dodge, then it would be hard for us to get the good quality coach in here for our program.

By the way Dodge is #12 on this list and will hit the top ten this weekend and will be on top of the list by the end of the season. http://www.coacheshotseat.com/index.htm

I personally do not think it will be hard to find an upgrade over Dodge even if his pay is crap. As long as he knows the college game and has experience I would probably still rather take that.

If RV doesn't even consider it then RV's job should be in question too because that would be one of the more absurd things I have seen in sports in a long long time.

I seriously doubt RV would make the change and removed TD at the end of the season, especially since it was his hire.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I seriously doubt RV would make the change and removed TD at the end of the season, especially since it was his hire.

I do agree with you. But my issue is that it is obvious that Dodge was a mistake....is it so wrong and bad for him to man up and admit he was wrong? I guarantee you his job will be a lot more safe if he owns up to his mistake and starts from scratch. I am not denying Dodge being a pretty decent recruiter(so we think) but my god other than that the guy just needs to stay in the HS level or maybe first be a HS OC first before he can think about being the head coach.

Remember, Dodge was our OC back in the 90's when Maher and Co. were putting up some pretty impressive numbers. In fact, Maher and some other Letterman were there for the Dodge hiring press conference and were very excited about the hire.

Dodge has proven that his system will score points, last year, and rack up the the yards. The issues in the red zone and the total defensive meltdown the last two years have been the major issues.

The best coach in the history of football probably couldn't win many games with the kids we have here right now. We've got too many 18-19 year olds playing against 21-22 year olds. Maybe if they were all 5 star recruits they could pull it off but the talent level is not there. Dodge cleaned house when he got here. Whether that was a good thing or not, I don't know but that's what we are left with.

The defense has been bad just about every game. I have faith that Deloach is doing the best with what he has. If that's the best team he can field, then what magic is someone else going to do. There seems to be this belief there is some magic button you can push that suddenly makes your players, older, faster and more talented. I don't know that anyone thought we would be this bad, but it didn't take a lot of football intelligence to see this team was still at least 1 more year away from being competitive.

Call for the coaches head all you want but he will be here at least another year unless he quits.

The best coach in the history of football probably couldn't win many games with the kids we have here right now. We've got too many 18-19 year olds playing against 21-22 year olds. Maybe if they were all 5 star recruits they could pull it off but the talent level is not there. Dodge cleaned house when he got here. Whether that was a good thing or not, I don't know but that's what we are left with.

The defense has been bad just about every game. I have faith that Deloach is doing the best with what he has. If that's the best team he can field, then what magic is someone else going to do. There seems to be this belief there is some magic button you can push that suddenly makes your players, older, faster and more talented. I don't know that anyone thought we would be this bad, but it didn't take a lot of football intelligence to see this team was still at least 1 more year away from being competitive.

Call for the coaches head all you want but he will be here at least another year unless he quits.

I agree with what you are saying except I believe the talent is there, it is just young.

My main concern is that the team does not appear motivated, at least it didn't against Rice, and is getting blown out. I long for the days of Don McGee jumping up and down getting the team fired up before they ran on the field. Wonder if Don is available to help out?

For me, it is 4 years. I am willing to take a risk and rely on the potential upside that TD brings. He is a household name in Texas.

I just hope we can get thru these excruciatingly tough times without a team implosion.

One more thing.....

Right now, Fitz is the only real weapon that we seem to have. So, the team had better improve before the season is over, because they won't be able to rely on Fitz next season.

So you are saying 4 year regardless of what happens next season? what if we only win 1-3 games next year, do you then give a 5th year?

You know what though, if you guys think this team is bad now, just wait. It is going to get a lot worse, and I am not talking about the off field problems (that is whole other story). Dodge has recruited basically NO linemen for the last two classes (1.5 classes for all of you who are still with the ship). That being said, this team won't sniff .500 until possibly the 4th year. This program finished 0-12 (which I see nothing to suggest it won't) then we basically will have 2 more seasons to make it close to .500 because of the steps backwards this thing has gone.

Get ready folks, Troy is going to WHIP this team saturday.

You know what though, if you guys think this team is bad now, just wait. It is going to get a lot worse, and I am not talking about the off field problems (that is whole other story). Dodge has recruited basically NO linemen for the last two classes (1.5 classes for all of you who are still with the ship). That being said, this team won't sniff .500 until possibly the 4th year. This program finished 0-12 (which I see nothing to suggest it won't) then we basically will have 2 more seasons to make it close to .500 because of the steps backwards this thing has gone.

Get ready folks, Troy is going to WHIP this team saturday.

I have to disagree with your statement. Here are the OL/DL that have arrived since Dodge was hired, either as a walk-on, gray shirt or scholarship player.

OL: Jared Acton, Sterling Carter, J.J. Johnson, Matt Tomlinson, Coleman Feeley, Gabe Hollivay (JUCO), Nate Jenkins (JUCO), Nick Leppo (Gray shirt), Aaron Fortenberry, Dan Holt (transfer), Jacob Kaiser, Troy Kokjohn, McMillan (gray shirt).

DL: Tevinn Cantly, Jesse DeSoto, Kyle Russo, Jordan Scoggins, Troy Franklin, Joe Hawthorne, Alonzo Horton (grade casualty)

He currently has committments for next year from OL Keenan Flax and DL Jacob Boutwell.

Your arguement would hold more weight if it was factually correct.

I have to disagree with your statement. Here are the OL/DL that have arrived since Dodge was hired, either as a walk-on, gray shirt or scholarship player.

OL: Jared Acton, Sterling Carter, J.J. Johnson, Matt Tomlinson, Coleman Feeley, Gabe Hollivay (JUCO), Nate Jenkins (JUCO), Nick Leppo (Gray shirt), Aaron Fortenberry, Dan Holt (transfer), Jacob Kaiser, Troy Kokjohn, McMillan (gray shirt).

DL: Tevinn Cantly, Jesse DeSoto, Kyle Russo, Jordan Scoggins, Troy Franklin, Joe Hawthorne, Alonzo Horton (grade casualty)

He currently has committments for next year from OL Keenan Flax and DL Jacob Boutwell.

Your arguement would hold more weight if it was factually correct.

Yip, you are right, I meant to state for the DL. But even there he has recruited some.

I'm just upset at the fact that NT was willing to take a risk at such a critical point in the program's history. Dodge really is learning on the job, and it shows, IMO. is NT really in the position to ride a coach who needs to learn & is learning so much at this level??

Probably...can't be sure, though. Since the decision is already in place, and we might have even more problems if coaches thought of us as the "death sentence school", might as well hope for the best!

YAAAAYYYYY STADIUM!

The best coach in the history of football probably couldn't win many games with the kids we have here right now.

I don't know, Dickey managed 5 wins in two seasons with these players.

I've noticed the only argument against getting rid of Dodge is that the University can't afford the buy-out. Which leaves be to ask can the program afford to keep Dodge?

What impact will an 0-12 season have on the program?

I also call BS on "UNT can't afford the buy-out."

1. We did it with Dickey.

2. It's not really that much money in the big scheme of things.

3. We laughed off Mattress Mac attempt to hold the program hostage of his donation being tied to Dickey, why freak out about less money going to Dodge.

4. Other coaches will still take the job, and they will understand an 0-12 season is not acceptable.

I've noticed the only argument against getting rid of Dodge is that the University can't afford the buy-out. Which leaves be to ask can the program afford to keep Dodge?

3. We laughed off Mattress Mac attempt to hold the program hostage of his donation being tied to Dickey, why freak out about less money going to Dodge.

4. Other coaches will still take the job, and they will understand an 0-12 season is not acceptable.

Can't argue with your points. The only thing is I doubt it happens until the end of 2009 at the earliest. Dodge is exactly the kind of coach the program needs, except he hasn't won yet. DD was becoming a hazard, besides losing, with his fan comments and other off-field issues.

I'm just upset at the fact that NT was willing to take a risk at such a critical point in the program's history. Dodge really is learning on the job, and it shows, IMO. is NT really in the position to ride a coach who needs to learn & is learning so much at this level??

What was the risk? What made it critical...or rather what was more important? To get a college coach and get some wins, or build excitement. Folks, the single biggest missing thing in the long history f this program has been buzz. It's what made the alumni and students, heck all of DFW apathetic towards NT. There was no one better to create that buzz than Dodge. His hiring is already a huge success. And even though the team is not competitive yet at all, we still have more attendance than a lot of the games when we were competing for NO Bowl bids, and had no student support for a stadium. We now have that in the bank as well. If we can start winning and get back to bowl games, Dodge will get a bronze statue at the new stadium. If not, it still did what we needed most, get people to believe.

An 0-12 season will set us back another year at the very least, probably 2. I have said before and really believe if we go 0-12 this season, the earliest we will see .500 will probably be late in the 4th season or even the 5th year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I have to disagree with you on this one.

Let me give you an example that at least somewhat fits our situati9on. When George O'Leary took the UCF job they were pretty low on talent. The Daunte Culpepper era was over and the good recruits no longer came. The only reason that Central Florida didn't go 0-12 in 2004 was because they only played 11 games. The next year with the talent that O'Leary was able to recruit and feeding off of the frenzy of new stadium construction they were 8-5 and played for the CUSA championship. They then had a down year (still not quite enough talent to compete in Division 1-A) and last year they went 10-4.

Now I'm not saying that Todd Dodge is George O'Leary but he has the potential. We need to see whether we actually finish at 0-12; I really think that we'll win a game, possibly even two. At least the last two weeks there have been slight improvements so there is a glimmer of hope.

The record will cause recruiting to dip a little but the new stadium will be a terrific selling point, offsetting some of the negative from that record.

Another factor that shaft keeps bringing up is a buyout. There are some differences in that and the present situation.

1. Dickey's contract was smaller.

2. The economy was much better.

3. The stadium approval would not have happened had it not been pushed by Dodge.

4. The attendance under Dickey's last years had nose-dived

5. Dickey had alienated the fans big time; so far only a few are vocally non-Dodge.

6. All of the funds that we can raise need to be geared toward construction of the new stadium.

Now, if we stil have none to few wins this time next year, and the economy is improved enough to afford it, I think that this coaching staff may very well be on the way out.