Forward Thinking Or Desperation?

Cerebus

I am just curious how Mean Green fans would take this if NT did something similar:

Louisiana Tech Athletics is Looking for a Student Webmaster for LA Tech Athletics: Latechsports.com Webmaster Needed

The Louisiana Tech Athletic Media Relations Department is looking for a Tech student to serve as the webmaster for the department's official website, www.latechsports.com. This individual must meet the following qualifications in order to apply:

1) PASSIONATE about Louisiana Tech Athletics

2) Desire to help improve and enhance the website

3) Someone who is self-motivated, creative and shows a strong initiative

4) Familiarity with Photoshop program

5) Knowledge of basic to advanced html coding

6) Basic knowledge of Illustrator, and In-design software

The department is looking for a student who can make at least a one year commitment to this position and who can work up to 8 to 10 hours per week (schedule is very flexible). This is a non-paying position but can be used on a resume or as class credit (provided it can be worked out with the department head).

Any interested Tech students should apply by emailing Associate Athletic Director Malcolm Butler at mbutler@latech.edu by Sept. 30.

I am just curious how Mean Green fans would take this if NT did something similar:

Coca Cola is the real thing. Pepsi can do all the marketing they want and people will still drink coke. Every new graduate and every new fan we acguire just expands your target market. So what if some day there is two of you? By that time the fan base will be so large it doesnt matter. In other words 100% of 3000 is 3000. 60% of 10000 is 6000. Keep on rocking and doing your thing.

Edited by flyonthewall

Sad to say, from the last time I looked at the UNT website, it was in serious need of help. A few years ago, I had someone from the UNT Art Department who was teaching photoshop make a presentation at a camera club I belong to in the Hurst Euless Bedford Area. He mentioned that he often had his ex students from UNT calling him and telling him about all the money they were making (millions!) using the skills they had learned (mostly photoshop) at UNT. If they can get anyone competent and creative to help that website for free, I'd say do it. Failing that, pay them good money, but PLEASE, let's not be satisfied with the status quo in terms of the official UNT website.

Sad to say, from the last time I looked at the UNT website, it was in serious need of help. A few years ago, I had someone from the UNT Art Department who was teaching photoshop make a presentation at a camera club I belong to in the Hurst Euless Bedford Area. He mentioned that he often had his ex students from UNT calling him and telling him about all the money they were making (millions!) using the skills they had learned (mostly photoshop) at UNT. If they can get anyone competent and creative to help that website for free, I'd say do it. Failing that, pay them good money, but PLEASE, let's not be satisfied with the status quo in terms of the official UNT website.

<- UNT Art Dept (Design) graduate here.

Okay, see...there's this phenomena in the design world that tends to ruin really great design. It's the client. And not like the clients all in general. Or even in the case of UNT where the creatives will meet with a whole jumble of people. It's usually one or two people in key positions (usually the decisionmaker) that are totally ignorant of good design. It's the same thing that keeps really cool concept cars from the 1980's never got built so we instead got the 80's model Thunderbird/Cougar. Sometimes you can get really good work with a client that's more concerned with something being effective than one that's stuck with some sort of ill+pre-conceived notion of what's good to have. Or its like when a auto body shop knows that a certain add-on or paint scheme is gonna look stupid, but they do it since the client is dead-set on their stupidity.

Mind you, the unt.edu site is okay, but my problem isn't so much with the visual design so much as it can be hard to navigate. But yeah, most of the folks that know photoshop from UNT came out of the photography or design departments. Yay.

--- About the UNT Athletics Department and its design in general ---

I think it's awful. I'd love to jump in and improve it, but I have this horrible feeling it wouldn't matter because I won't be making the final decisions, but some random dude with marketing or business major will.

--- About the job posting ---

This is more an internship-thing, though you probably don't want to trust your internet presence to an intern. I mean, it should be paid for, and ideally, this is a fulltime kind of job, too. I don't think it's a desperation move because I wouldn't think their AD would be this broke. It's an internship, so...yeah. They'll probably get hit and miss applicants, though.

But isn't the Mean Green Sports website just a cookie cutter, off the shelf internet site that is used by a host of other athletic departments? The AD updates the info, pics, colors, etc. I'm not trying to make it sound too simple, but isn't that basically what we have?

Truthfully, at this point I think the product on the gridiron and the football stadium are more important issues we need to deal with. Internet sites can wait.

But isn't the Mean Green Sports website just a cookie cutter, off the shelf internet site that is used by a host of other athletic departments? The AD updates the info, pics, colors, etc. I'm not trying to make it sound too simple, but isn't that basically what we have?

Truthfully, at this point I think the product on the gridiron and the football stadium are more important issues we need to deal with. Internet sites can wait.

I agree the stadium and football team should be 1. and 1a. on the priority list of things to fix. The athletic website and fan communication is very important and I'd rate it third on the list. It needs to be up to date, easy to get around, and easy to find ticket and contact info. When I go to another school's official athletic website first impressions are very important....almost as important as the way their stadium looks. ;)

It's important to pay attention to every angle. So while the site isn't top priority, it should be one of the highest. There's a reason why many companies put so much effort into their online presence.

Just my $.02 and don't mean to hijack this thread, but most (not all but most) other D1 schools are using CSTV to run their websites. Even Louisiana Tech uses CSTV. We seem to be the only ones that are using our own design, or something like it.

We have a host - a host that likes to run regional SMU ads.