REview from the internet (bad words replaced with words of my choice): http://deadspin.com/5048029/cheering-for-i...jamboroo-week-2

New Metallica Video Review

Metallica released their new video last week for “The Day That Never Comes”. If you watched the Packers-Vikings game the other night, you couldn’t have missed the Obama-damn song, because it was all over the telecast.

Every time Metallica releases a new album, I refuse to get excited at first, only to then get sucked into the whole “Well, it COULD be their return to form!” mentality that is always, ALWAYS Ted Kennedy'n wrong. That was especially true this go round, as the band had finally ditched longtime producer/barnacle Bob Rock and gone back to their old, taint-kicking logo. FUCK YEAH!

Surely, Rick Rubin could get another magnum opus out of them! It’s gonna be just like Puppets! Right?

Wrong.

This song sounds like a Vince Young local band trying to write their own Metallica song. The cribbing from “Fade to Black” is so blatant, the band could sue itself (and will likely do just that). Worst of all, James Hetfield is still under the impression that he can sing, and holy Republicans is that not true. Goat-molestin' Rick Rubin. You’re a guru! You can’t grab Hetfield by the balls and tell him to go back to BARKING the DNC'n lyrics instead of trying to croon them like every song is the chorus to “The Unforgiven”? FAIL.

Reader Sam R. sums it up best:

“The new song makes me want to kill myself for than ‘Fade to Black’ ever did.”

Indeed.

• Downvote 1

Is the new Toadies actually (finally) coming out??

Already in stores "No Deliverance"

Vaden had stated that while the Burden Brothers are on hiatus he got the Toadies back together because they all shared a hatred for new rock.

“I was pissed off again and wanted to keep goin’,” he says. “I didn’t know what I was writing, right out of the gate, but… it was just coming out very “Toadies.”

Lewis called Rez and Vogeler and asked if they were interested in making another record. They were—and the Toadies officially reconvened, signing with Kirtland and recording No Deliverance with David Castell (Burden Brothers, Blue October) at Fort Worth Sound in Fort Worth and Music Lane in Austin. Lewis says the band has gone for a “bare knuckle” sound, amping up the psychotic stomp heard on Rubberneck and Hell Below… on the grinding, relentless title track as well as the seething, death-of-a-romance gem “So Long Lovey Eyes” and the towering, sludgy “Man of Stone.” The upshot is a taut, exhilarating listen that is quintessentially Toadies.

Lewis is stoked on “the freshness of this new record. Getting back into this, back into the feel of the Toadies, is cool. Lewis, Rez, Vogeler and new bass player Doni Blair (Hagfish, Only Crime) are optimistic that their indie incarnation will succeed, thanks to the support of their devout fans—and equally supportive label. “The music industry has changed so much,” says Vogeler. “A band like us can be on an independent label and still get the music out to the people who want to hear it.”

The Toadies are now free to pursue success on their own merit and muscle. And things are starting off nicely: On August 2, The Toadies will play Lollapalooza and, following the album’s release, they’ll embark on a nationwide tour offering old fans and those to come—as he recently told SPIN, “Balls. A ton of balls.”

“Getting back to the bare knuckles element of the Toadies,” continues Lewis, “is what I really enjoy, after being away from it for so long.” Vogeler and Rez concur. “I’m here and still doin’ it,” furthers Vogeler, “because the music’s good.” And Rez proclaims in his thick Texas drawl, “The Toadies are back in business.”

And suddenly, everything wrong is right.

I saw the Toadies in Cambridge about 2 months ago (actually saw Josh Ritter with the Boston Pops about 2 hours before, kinda a diverse music evening)...probably about a month before No Deliverance came out...and they were absolutely awesome...brought me back to senior year in high school at the Ridglea. They played everything off of Rubberneck, about 4 songs off Hell Below/Stars Above and about 4 new songs. I thought it was a perfect show considering I hadn't heard the new stuff yet and my PBR-laden brain really just wanted to rock out to I Burn...now having heard the new CD I wish they would've played a bit more.

They're coming back up my direction in November, but they're competeing with The Decemberists and The Hold Steady so its up in the air which shows I'm heading to.

Oh...and Metallica still sucks...they have always sucked...and so long as they continue to be boring and generic, they will continue to suck.

Real Rock???? Metallica real rock? Not so much...now..."Hard Metal Rock"...I give you that. OK, don't hurt me, I am showing my age here...whatever flots your boat when it comes to music is more than fine with me...you want good Rock? Where's the BIG CHILL when you need it! :rolleyes:

Who did you get...I probably won't be able to make the bonfire, but just in case

One of their band members recently took an advertising class on campus. Maybe we can play that up.

They played in the arena during the NHL playoffs from the bench and it was just nice to have them back.

• Downvote 1

The guy who wrote the Metallica CD review has apologized for jumping the gun on reviewing the album - here's his full take:

“The End Of The Line,” by Metallica. It was in this space last week where I reviewed the video of Metallica’s “Day That Never Comes,” off of their new album. That song blows. But I made the mistake of assuming that song represented the style of the rest of “Death Magnetic.” I was wrong. I was way f***ng wrong.

Rick Rubin, you are a gd saint. Bob Rock, you deserve to be trucked out to the Arctic and left for dead.

Metallica is finally a thrash band again. Rubin must have sat the band down and told them, “Enough of this gd Lynyrd Skynyrd bulls**tt. You’re f-ng Metallica, you f-s. Now go play the kind of music only f-ing Metallica can play.” Then I bet Lars got all uppity, and then Rubin had to punch him right in his stupid f-ng mouth to put him in his place.

At least, that’s how it all goes down in head.

Hammett’s guitar solos are back. The crummy yet lovable production values of “…And Justice For All” are back. Hetfield’s angry bark is back. This album isn’t as good as the band’s first four albums, and a couple of tracks suck (the lead single and “The Unforgiven III,” which is the heavy metal sequel equivalent of Rambo III). But at least the band f-ing sounds like Metallica again, and that’s all I’ve really ever wanted from these a**holes for the past two decades.

Between this album and reading ”Watch You Bleed: The Saga Of Guns ‘N’ Roses”, I feel like I’m 12 years old all over again. Time to go stick my d*** under the tub faucet!

• Downvote 1

The guy who wrote the Metallica CD review has apologized for jumping the gun on reviewing the album - here's his full take:

"The End Of The Line," by Metallica. It was in this space last week where I reviewed the video of Metallica's "Day That Never Comes," off of their new album. That song blows. But I made the mistake of assuming that song represented the style of the rest of "Death Magnetic." I was wrong. I was way f***ng wrong.

Rick Rubin, you are a gd saint. Bob Rock, you deserve to be trucked out to the Arctic and left for dead.

Metallica is finally a thrash band again. Rubin must have sat the band down and told them, "Enough of this gd Lynyrd Skynyrd bulls**tt. You're f-ng Metallica, you f-s. Now go play the kind of music only f-ing Metallica can play." Then I bet Lars got all uppity, and then Rubin had to punch him right in his stupid f-ng mouth to put him in his place.

At least, that's how it all goes down in head.

Hammett's guitar solos are back. The crummy yet lovable production values of "…And Justice For All" are back. Hetfield's angry bark is back. This album isn't as good as the band's first four albums, and a couple of tracks suck (the lead single and "The Unforgiven III," which is the heavy metal sequel equivalent of Rambo III). But at least the band f-ing sounds like Metallica again, and that's all I've really ever wanted from these a**holes for the past two decades.

Between this album and reading "Watch You Bleed: The Saga Of Guns 'N' Roses", I feel like I'm 12 years old all over again. Time to go stick my d*** under the tub faucet!

I missed you.

Let me date myself: When I was in junior high I played the CASSETTES of And Justice and Master of Puppets until the tape snapped.

I checked out as soon as the black album came out.

I have to say the couple of songs that I have heard on the new album have me intrested.

If anyone has XM, channel 51 plays on Metallica for now.