Rice Game

FireFightnJoey

I'll be there rain or shine. Was planning on spending a long weekend on Lake Conroe anyway. I've always enjoyed games at Rice Stadium even though they're usually 80-90 percent empty. Still unsure about our defensive potential, but if we can't get our offense cooking well enough to score some serious points against Rice by then, we could be in some serious SBC trouble.

I'll be at Lake Conroe as well (Kagle Park I think it's called). Arriving late Friday, staying 'til sometime Sunday.

I will be down there with the same crew at the last game +1 or 2. Looking forward to it, big time. I always have fun in Houston.

Call me crazy, but I can really see a defensive improvement from last year. Our players are young, but being in a college style defense is helping them look older. As this group progresses I can see them coming into their own. DeLoach is a very good coach, and will get these guys back to the top defensive team we once were.

FYI, there is somewhat of an unconventional (but a pleasant surprise) going-on that I would invite you all to go see and hear if you have the opportunity. From the Facebook event for the Rice game, arranged by UNT:

Join us for some classical entertainment. Gustavo Romero, UNT Associate Professor of Piano, will perform Beethoven Sonatas on the Rice campus. A wine and cheese reception will precede the event at 6:45 in the East Lobby of Alice Pratt Brown Hall with the performance following at 8:00. Admission is free, but space is limited, so RSVP early (see below).

To RSVP for the piano recital, please call 940-565-2834 or send an email to alumni@unt.edu.

Romero has performed the complete Beethoven sonatas in cycle, among many other collections. I encourage anyone to set aside the brats and bocks just for a moment (gasp!), try something new, and listen to this wonderful performer/teacher.

UNT bio

personal page

FYI, there is somewhat of an unconventional (but a pleasant surprise) going-on that I would invite you all to go see and hear if you have the opportunity. From the Facebook event for the Rice game, arranged by UNT:

Romero has performed the complete Beethoven sonatas in cycle, among many other collections. I encourage anyone to set aside the brats and bocks just for a moment (gasp!), try something new, and listen to this wonderful performer/teacher.

UNT bio

personal page

This is a perfect example of how to treat alumni on a road game. Invite them out for something cheap. Meanwhile the AD charges $8 a head for their activity.

UNT bio

personal page

Yep, nice event, but did you notice that it is scheduled at the same time as the pep rally at the team hotel? Planning at its finest.

Maybe so, but I'm in Houston and just received an email from the Alumni Association this morning about this event running in conjunction with the Pep Rally this is across town. If it was already planned, it was a secret. Then again, I don't see the folks being interested in a Pep Rally really being interested in hearing a piano concert, so maybe they were trying to offer a variety.

Maybe the world stopped spinning for a moment and the Athletic Department and the Music School joined forces! Then again, probably not.

Maybe so, but I'm in Houston and just received an email from the Alumni Association this morning about this event running in conjunction with the Pep Rally this is across town. If it was already planned, it was a secret. Then again, I don't see the folks being interested in a Pep Rally really being interested in hearing a piano concert, so maybe they were trying to offer a variety.

Maybe the world stopped spinning for a moment and the Athletic Department and the Music School joined forces! Then again, probably not.

I hate it when work gets in the way of life! :( I apologize to those in the Houston area, I intended to keep you informed of Exes Gulf Coast Chapter activity, and I just haven't found the time to do more than just quick posts here & there.

Besides the postcard I previously mentioned (which I haven't had time to scan yet), there will also be a postcard sent specifically to Exes members in the Houston area about the Rice game events, and announcing a "Happy Hour" on November 6th so members can meet Derrick Morgan and Rob McKinney, who will come down from Denton.

The concert by Gustavo Romero was already planned (it might not have even been planned by the School of Music, but by Rice), but the reception was added once the Alumni Association and the Office of Advancement realized it was the same weekend as the game. Yes, it does appeal to a different crowd than the Pep Rally, except for a few people like myself. I think I'll be at the Pep Rally since I can't be at both.

There will be a Gulf Coast chapter board meeting either next week or the week after - I need to double-check and get back to y'all as soon as possible.

George French