*sigh*

I really don't know what else to say. I thought we'd be 0-2, but I thought the offense would move the ball in both games when the games were still in doubt - i.e., the first half. It's just not happening. Why not throw Tune or Meager in there just to change things up? What does getting Vizza beat up so early in the season prove? We already know he's tough. What's the point?

And, if the front page story is true about a little altercation between DeLoach and Buckles...? I mean, this early in the year?

Will someone please, please tell Todd Dodge that football - above the high school level - is won on the offensive and defensive lines. If 2/3rds of our 2009 recruiting class isn't dedicated to finding linemen on both sides of the ball, Dodge will never see the end of his contract. They don't play 7-on-7 at this level.

Also, someone explain to me why, when we're down 42-10 and have the ball at the five yards line, we're kicking field goals? At that point, we'd held TU's offense without points on consecutive possessions to begin the second half. If we go for it then and there, we possibly score and make it a 25 point deficit, still large but with about 20 minutes left in the game. At worst, we've got TU pinned inside the five for their third possession if we don't get in the end zone. We already knew Jeremy Knott could hit from 45+. Did we really need to see him kick, basically, an extra point? I don't get it. Is that "playing to win?"

And, special teams...

...nevermind. Not worth the trouble to even discuss another year of an absent return game of any sort, two games in a row with botched PATs. Awful.

Can we just ask LSU to cancel the game next week and play it nowhere ever, and not reschedule it?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I really don't know what else to say. I thought we'd be 0-2, but I thought the offense would move the ball in both games when the games were still in doubt - i.e., the first half. It's just not happening. Why not throw Tune or Meager in there just to change things up? What does getting Vizza beat up so early in the season prove? We already know he's tough. What's the point?

And, if the front page story is true about a little altercation between DeLoach and Buckles...? I mean, this early in the year?

Will someone please, please tell Todd Dodge that football - above the high school level - is won on the offensive and defensive lines. If 2/3rds of our 2009 recruiting class isn't dedicated to finding linemen on both sides of the ball, Dodge will never see the end of his contract. They don't play 7-on-7 at this level.

Also, someone explain to me why, when we're down 42-10 and have the ball at the five yards line, we're kicking field goals? At that point, we'd held TU's offense without points on consecutive possessions to begin the second half. If we go for it then and there, we possibly score and make it a 25 point deficit, still large but with about 20 minutes left in the game. At worst, we've got TU pinned inside the five for their third possession if we don't get in the end zone. We already knew Jeremy Knott could hit from 45+. Did we really need to see him kick, basically, an extra point? I don't get it. Is that "playing to win?"

And, special teams...

...nevermind. Not worth the trouble to even discuss another year of an absent return game of any sort, two games in a row with botched PATs. Awful.

Can we just ask LSU to cancel the game next week and play it nowhere ever, and not reschedule it?

How about we just not go down there at all? Save some money on travel and the embarrassment. I'd rather just not have as many games then get paid by better schools to kick our ass. If we beat LSU i'll give everyone on this board $10.

Yeah, I'm pretty upset also and don't even want to think of the destruction that is facing us vs. LSU. For those of us who have been following the program for roughly a quarter of a century or more, this is REALLY starting to get old. We have become ingrained as losers for many DECADES now, and it just keeps coming and coming year after year. Well, after saying that crappola, I still haven't given up on Dodge. If this is still going on by this time next year I think I will finally be burned out and throw in the towel. Not just on Dodge, but maybe the program as a whole. We have got to be just about the worst football program in the country when you consider things like our lack of OOC upsets, our lack of conference upgrade progress, our lack of stadium/fan support progress, and our abundance of unharvested potential. Oh hell, I'm basically just pissed and will probably never give up. GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT LSU!!! (cough, cough) :rolleyes:

How about we just not go down there at all? Save some money on travel and the embarrassment. I'd rather just not have as many games then get paid by better schools to kick our ass. If we beat LSU i'll give everyone on this board $10.

I could use another pizza this week, so this sounds good to me. I wasn't going to hope for the impossibility of us beating LSU, but now you've convinced me. Thanks for helping me see the light ;)

THANK YOU...that has been my point all along. TD is a HS coach!!! He is not able to translate to the college game. In HS you can get away with not having good linemen by compensating with great athletic talent at the skills position. You CANNOT get away with this in college. EVERY team has great skills and athleticism!!!

IF ONLY having the most WR recruits in the nation counted for anything...

But we don't have the most WR. We had to burn Riley's redshirt to play the slot. What happened to the 75+ WR's we recruited the past two recruiting seasons?

And, this is the biggest joke of all.

I wrote this in a PM to a fellow poster today, and maybe it bears repeating here:

I'm beginning to think that Todd Dodge believed too much of the hype surrounding him and his 79-1 run at Southlake. How else do you explain a coach who:

(1) After his first year, says the things that surprised him the most was the speed and athleticism of the cornerbacks at this level, and

(2) In year two, cannot explain why his team isn't competitive?

It boggles the mind that this guy quite possibly hasn't figured out that everyone has skill players, but that you will never succeed unless you:

(1) Have an offensive line that can block, thus giving time for your running or passing plays to develop, and

(2) Have a defensive line that stuffs the run and gets a consistent pass rush to keep the pressure off of your defensive backs.

Then, there's the importance of the kicking game - kicking off, receiving kickoffs, making extra points. This involves many things - yes, even the deep snapper. As in, hello, have two guys on the roster who can be deep snappers at all times. And, I mean being capable of deep snapping, not just we list him as a deep snapper. He's actually got to be able to do the job. Two of them, please.

And, as for kick and punt returns...you can't just stick anyone back there who can runs fast. Many players on the team run fast. Fielding the kick is as important as what the player does with it after he catches it. You know? I mean, you know...but, after 14 games in, you have to wonder if Todd Dodge knows...or cares.

Folks, the learning curve was going to be high for Dodge to begin with, him having come from high school and all. But, no matter what the learning curve is, in any endeavor, you must first realize you have something to learn.

At this point, I'm not sure Todd Dodge thinks he has anything to learn. I mean, how could he? He had a 79-1 run in high school, right? Who or what could teach him something he didn't know? I mean, besides the cornerbacks at this level.

It really is beginning to look like Todd Dodge waltzed into Denton thinking he'd take the college football world by storm - a college football world already filled to the brim with June Joneses, Steve Spurriers, Mike Leaches, Hal Mummes, Howard Schnellenbergers, Urban Meyers, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum...coaches who ran "the spread offense" in many different variations. And so, there would be literally hundreds of defensive coaches who had prepared for this very type of offense.

I honestly don't think the guy ever put thought one into his lines and special teams - or the fact that "the spread offense" was already the norm at the college level and not so novel a thing that would take the world by storm.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

And, this is the biggest joke of all.

I wrote this in a PM to a fellow poster today, and maybe it bears repeating here:

I'm beginning to think that Todd Dodge believed too much of the hype surrounding him and his 79-1 run at Southlake. How else do you explain a coach who:

(1) After his first year, says the things that surprised him the most was the speed and athleticism of the cornerbacks at this level, and

(2) In year two, cannot explain why his team isn't competitive?

It boggles the mind that this guy quite possibly hasn't figured out that everyone has skill players, but that you will never succeed unless you:

(1) Have an offensive line that can block, thus giving time for your running or passing plays to develop, and

(2) Have a defensive line that stuffs the run and gets a consistent pass rush to keep the pressure off of your defensive backs.

Then, there's the importance of the kicking game - kicking off, receiving kickoffs, making extra points. This involves many things - yes, even the deep snapper. As in, hello, have two guys on the roster who can be deep snappers at all times. And, I mean being capable of deep snapping, not just we list him as a deep snapper. He's actually got to be able to do the job. Two of them, please.

And, as for kick and punt returns...you can't just stick anyone back there who can runs fast. Many players on the team run fast. Fielding the kick is as important as what the player does with it after he catches it. You know? I mean, you know...but, after 14 games in, you have to wonder if Todd Dodge knows...or cares.

Folks, the learning curve was going to be high for Dodge to begin with, him having come from high school and all. But, no matter what the learning curve is, in any endeavor, you must first realize you have something to learn.

At this point, I'm not sure Todd Dodge thinks he has anything to learn. I mean, how could he? He had a 79-1 run in high school, right? Who or what could teach him something he didn't know? I mean, besides the cornerbacks at this level.

It really is beginning to look like Todd Dodge waltzed into Denton thinking he'd take the college football world by storm - a college football world already filled to the brim with June Joneses, Steve Spurriers, Mike Leaches, Hal Mummes, Howard Schnellenbergers, Urban Meyers, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum...coaches who ran "the spread offense" in many different variations. And so, there would be literally hundreds of defensive coaches who had prepared for this very type of offense.

I honestly don't think the guy ever put though one into his lines and special teams - or the fact that "the spread offense" was already the norm at the college level and not so novel thing that would take the world by storm.

I just can't get my mind around all of this negativity. I think I will just go and shoot myself.

Step outside the box…Before blaming the coach…

1982-1994 UNT Division II football

1997 BCS realignment inclusion of Big10, Pac10, Big12, SEC, ACC, Big East

2004-2005 THE SBC Imploded six teams either left or entered the conference.

2000-2007 UT, OU, LSU, TCU, TX Tech have compiled Four National Championships and thirty-two top 25 finishes.

The WAC, MWC and CUSA had teams who played in BCS games, won BCS games or were close. (Tulsa went 12-0 in 1999 and received no bid)

The SBC still has only one guaranteed bowl tie in.

The Big 12, MWC, CUSA and SBC have teams in Texas. The SEC is next door in LA/AR.

So, is it the Coaching, School, Conference or Players the reason UNT can not compete? Or were the last couple of years the perfect storm for UNT? No identity for an unstable conference? Lack of exposure? Limited post season venues? Coaching staff? Inability to compete for recruits against other successful programs (BCS)? Apparent lack of support for athletics at UNT?

But I see progress to address these issues:

Upgrading the facilities at UNT with the athletic center, practice field and stadium …

Hire a coach who has contacts and a support network that allows recruiting against above mentioned schools and road blocks.

The scheduling of OOC teams that increase the visibility and prestige of program. (Navy and instate rivals, i.e. SMU/Rice)

But failure to acknowledge the limitations at UNT is foolish. Blaming Dodge for 25 years of mismanagement of this program is wrong. Give Dodge his four years. If no improvement in the overall program after 3 years demand wins-after 4 demand a change.

Step outside the box…Before blaming the coach…

1982-1994 UNT Division II football

1997 BCS realignment inclusion of Big10, Pac10, Big12, SEC, ACC, Big East

2004-2005 THE SBC Imploded six teams either left or entered the conference.

2000-2007 UT, OU, LSU, TCU, TX Tech have compiled Four National Championships and thirty-two top 25 finishes.

The WAC, MWC and CUSA had teams who played in BCS games, won BCS games or were close. (Tulsa went 12-0 in 1999 and received no bid)

The SBC still has only one guaranteed bowl tie in.

The Big 12, MWC, CUSA and SBC have teams in Texas. The SEC is next door in LA/AR.

So, is it the Coaching, School, Conference or Players the reason UNT can not compete? Or were the last couple of years the perfect storm for UNT? No identity for an unstable conference? Lack of exposure? Limited post season venues? Coaching staff? Inability to compete for recruits against other successful programs (BCS)? Apparent lack of support for athletics at UNT?

But I see progress to address these issues:

Upgrading the facilities at UNT with the athletic center, practice field and stadium …

Hire a coach who has contacts and a support network that allows recruiting against above mentioned schools and road blocks.

The scheduling of OOC teams that increase the visibility and prestige of program. (Navy and instate rivals, i.e. SMU/Rice)

But failure to acknowledge the limitations at UNT is foolish. Blaming Dodge for 25 years of mismanagement of this program is wrong. Give Dodge his four years. If no improvement in the overall program after 3 years demand wins-after 4 demand a change.

Some good points...but one correction: We were never Division II....we were I-AA (a big difference). And, that was 14 years ago....so I think maybe we should drop the I-AA excuse by now. Especially since I can name a lot of schools who came to Division I-A after we did.....schools who right now have passed us by in football: Troy, FAU, Boise State, South Florida, MTSU....just to name a few.

Edited by SUMG

Some good points...but one correction: We were never Division II....we were I-AA (a big difference). And, that was 14 years ago....so I think maybe we should drop the I-AA excuse by now. Especially since I can name a lot of schools who came to Division I-A after we did.....schools who right now have passed us by in football: Troy, FAU, Boise State, South Florida, MTSU....just to name a few.

Look the only teams in the college football world that rival our inability to get a single thing done - a stadium, a good head coach, etc. - are Idaho and Utah State.

Seriously.

I mean, even places like SMU got a new stadium in the midst of their suck. They have a shiny, new coach, but they still suck. But, at least they have a nice stadium to suck in and some hope in that their new coach has at least won at the I-A/FBS level before, so maybe he will there. There's at least some meat on the bone there.

We have been passed by everyone except Idaho and Utah State. It's just sad.

Why not throw Tune or Meager in there just to change things up? What does getting Vizza beat up so early in the season prove? We already know he's tough. What's the point?

This team IS headed in the right direction and all need to be patient as the DD cupboard was left lacking talent. BUT, I have to agree with the above. The first two games have shown us how far we still have to go. Even so, leaving Vizza in deep into the KSU game then having Tune handoff on 4 consecutive plays and then again leaving Vizza in till the last tic against TU leaves me questioning the thought process. Vizza is proven yes, but his playing style (Earl Campbell/Marion Barber contact mentality) greatly enhances his chances of getting dinged up at some point in this season. Why not give Tune and Meager some "meaningful" reps during these OOC arse whippings in preparation. So that when the time comes, we don't have to endure a "rust romoval/break in" phase. Admittedly, I have never been a coach but does anyone agree?

Can someone take a look in the program and give the breakdown of how many players are in each class? My dad did that last night and it seemed that a good 1/3 of the team is freshman. It is definitely frustrating to see poor tackling, special teams, blocking, etc..., but isn't this to be expected with a team this young? Everyone wants to win now, and that is understandable, but sometimes that just isn't realistic. Well, it would only be realistic if the coaching staff was made up of some of the top minds from the board here. They could take a high school JV squad and show KSU and Tulsa how to do things.

Edited by e-bone ver2.awesome

no the questions that "the fake lonnie finch" ask are not interesting. they are pretty stupid. since his post are so long, let me sum it up for you and you will start to understand why he makes no sense and he is just ranting here it is in a nutshell...

In college football, you have to have a good offensive line and defensive line. you have to kick off, receive kick offs and make extra points. in most occassions you have to have a "deep snapper" in order to make said extra points. also the person receiving a punt for your team can't just be fast. he has to know where to go after he catches that punt. defensive backs in college are fast. todd dodge doesn't know any of this because he is egotistical.

see when you sum it up and you take away the novel he wrote to say it, you realize how stupid it really is.

no the questions that "the fake lonnie finch" ask are not interesting. they are pretty stupid. since his post are so long, let me sum it up for you and you will start to understand why he makes no sense and he is just ranting here it is in a nutshell...

In college football, you have to have a good offensive line and defensive line. you have to kick off, receive kick offs and make extra points. in most occassions you have to have a "deep snapper" in order to make said extra points. also the person receiving a punt for your team can't just be fast. he has to know where to go after he catches that punt. defensive backs in college are fast. todd dodge doesn't know any of this because he is egotistical.

see when you sum it up and you take away the novel he wrote to say it, you realize how stupid it really is.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey Fake, why don't you grow a pair, go to the Pour House and ask Dodge himself some of your "questions"? Oh, I forgot, you already have all the answers.