K-state Game

Charlie NT 73

I have read many postings on the K-State boards, that have the same theme.

All the K-State fans believe the game will be a run away, with predicted scores

of 60 + points, 250 yds rushing, 400yds passing, scoring on the first play, and

even winning the coin toss. Man, are the K-State fans in for a surprise!

I do believe North Texas can win this game. Yes, win this game!

#1: K-State will be over confident. All K-S knows about NT is from last years

film work and Mendoza's defense. That was last year's old defense. The

2008 defense has the DeLoach factor, new schemes, aggressive attack,

players and depth at key positions. K-S does not know anything about the

DeLoach defense. I think K-S will start by trying to establish their run game

first. K-S lost their 2 top RB's. Now the #3 RB, a JUCO transfer starts at RB.

K-S believes QB Freeman is untouchable. Yeah right! Rattle this guy and their

offense stops. Their top WR is gone, 2nd team guys move up.

#2: K-S believes they can pass at will on every play. Hit the home run ball all day.

Again, the DeLoach factor plus, NT now has the secondary talent to handle the

K-S receivers. I believe our DE's and LB's can beat their big OL guys, and force

turnovers. K-S is not Oklahoma or Texas. When a team signs 19 JUCO's- something

is not right. Looking for instant success to fix problem positions? JUCO's do not

always work out the way coaches expect.

#3: K-S has run the same offense the past few years so I am sure the NT staff has studied

how the K-S offense and defense work. I would bet the NT staff has developed a very

good game plan, both on offense and defense. I think this game will come down to a

battle of smarts by the coaches. Big advantage to Coach Dodge

#4: K-S does not know how a full year of experience in Dodge Ball, has helped developed the

offense, and the players. The players are all on the same page now. Plus, there are

several offensive guys available, that were not around in 2007. Coach Dodge and his

staff have new twists to Dodge Ball installed this year that could not be installed last

year. The NT WR's are a very talented bunch. Vizza is ready for a big game!

This is my take on this game. I like our team, our players, our coaches, and our ability to

win this game. North Texas 31, K-S 24.

I think all of us are dying to know how much better our offense in year 2 will be. The pieces are in place for some great things.

I've already made clear my concerns about K-State's o-line. I don't believe they'll hit the home run whenever they feel like it, but I do have concerns that Freeman could stand all day back there, pitch a tent, camp for 5 seconds, and then find the opening in our defense. (does deloach favor zone or man?)

Here's hoping our D-line steps up and shows us what they can be.

...I do have concerns that Freeman could stand all day back there, pitch a tent, camp for 5 seconds...

Maybe that's the strategy... if he pitches a tent infront of 45 thousand people, wouldn't they have to pull him out of the game and calm him down? maybe even take him to jail for indecent conduct?

Not to sound like a broken record (if you've read Athlon and Dave Campbells..you know the song that's coming), but some things are a given. I try to look outside the box. My guess for success....

1. Plain and simple... the BLITZ! Everyone knows what we lost in Horton and Gilmore. K-State has a very good offensive line, and we would have been hard pressed to get pressure with Eddie and Horton anyway. Let's stick to the Deloach plan and send a LB or safety on every play. One lucky blitz could equal a turnover. Let's dont get predicatable or conservative as they start to score points? Keep going at them as Coach Deloach did against UT in the "get Simms out of there" game a few years ago. That game ended 27-0 and we got to the QB's a LOT. The formula works if you stick with it.

2. Control QB Josh Freeman... This kid is a runner and gunner. Most believe he is better throwing. He threw last year for over 3000 yards and 18 TD's. We also need to be careful about giving this kid a lane to take off. I suspect Coach Deloach is showing Craig Robertson some K-State game film using the term "like a shadow" .

3. Balance the offense... If K-State has a weakness it is the defensive line. Last year there was really only one guy worth a darn up front, and that is Ian Campbell. A good offensive line should open holes for Mosely and Montgomery. We are obviously a little under-sized on the O-line, but K-State runs the 3-4, and has NO ONE on their DL larger than 280lbs. Keep plugging with the run, and their fantastic secondary (three potential All-Americans) plays closer to the line. Maybe we get lucky and Fitzgerald gets a shot at the end-zone.

4. Field position... K-State brought in a Juco stud to do nothing but return punts. Deon Murphy is the real deal and lightning freakin fast. We cannot give up that kind of field position and stay in this game. We have to pin these guys back as far as we can. Our advantage - Truman Spencer. He can put the ball out of bounds deep and keep it away from Deon Murphy.

Nothing is impossible... and we do have the offensive weapons to score on them. If it comes to a track meet, I think we match up and an upset could happen. A win would give us an extra 3 minutes on sports center... MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO MONEY!!!!!

GMG!!! :D

I feel crazy saying this, but I don't remember DeLoach blitzing much?

He disguises a lot, tons of pre-snap motion, but I seem to recall his defenses being labeled as bend-but-don't-break...

That 2002 defense had a lot to do with having Awasome and Kennedy on the line. Of the 8 Simms sacks, how many were from behind the front 4? I'll look it up in a second...

The problem is always the same with these out of conference get-bashed-for-cash games - athletes, schemes. Kansas State has better athletes; and, their coaches have seen the spread run by better athletes for many years. It's not the rocket science everyone crack it up to be.

I don't think the Wildcats put 60 on us, but we will have our hands full with their size and speed from the opening kickoff. We're far too inexperienced and thin on our lines, and way too inexperienced at linebacker and in the secondary. It will show early and often, I'm afraid.

It's not pessimism, it's looking at what we have versus what they have.

I hate to be a bummer here, but I am hoping we simply cover the spead. I know nobody here wants to think about 'moral victories', but a 2 win team from the Sunbelt needs that against a BIG 12 school to open the next season. Hoping for the best.

Well, I'm bettin' on it & put a C-note on the Mean Green :rolleyes:

I have read many postings on the K-State boards, that have the same theme.

All the K-State fans believe the game will be a run away, with predicted scores

of 60 + points, 250 yds rushing, 400yds passing, scoring on the first play, and

even winning the coin toss. Man, are the K-State fans in for a surprise!

I do believe North Texas can win this game. Yes, win this game!

#1: K-State will be over confident. All K-S knows about NT is from last years

film work and Mendoza's defense. That was last year's old defense. The

2008 defense has the DeLoach factor, new schemes, aggressive attack,

players and depth at key positions. K-S does not know anything about the

DeLoach defense. I think K-S will start by trying to establish their run game

first. K-S lost their 2 top RB's. Now the #3 RB, a JUCO transfer starts at RB.

K-S believes QB Freeman is untouchable. Yeah right! Rattle this guy and their

offense stops. Their top WR is gone, 2nd team guys move up.

#2: K-S believes they can pass at will on every play. Hit the home run ball all day.

Again, the DeLoach factor plus, NT now has the secondary talent to handle the

K-S receivers. I believe our DE's and LB's can beat their big OL guys, and force

turnovers. K-S is not Oklahoma or Texas. When a team signs 19 JUCO's- something

is not right. Looking for instant success to fix problem positions? JUCO's do not

always work out the way coaches expect.

#3: K-S has run the same offense the past few years so I am sure the NT staff has studied

how the K-S offense and defense work. I would bet the NT staff has developed a very

good game plan, both on offense and defense. I think this game will come down to a

battle of smarts by the coaches. Big advantage to Coach Dodge

#4: K-S does not know how a full year of experience in Dodge Ball, has helped developed the

offense, and the players. The players are all on the same page now. Plus, there are

several offensive guys available, that were not around in 2007. Coach Dodge and his

staff have new twists to Dodge Ball installed this year that could not be installed last

year. The NT WR's are a very talented bunch. Vizza is ready for a big game!

This is my take on this game. I like our team, our players, our coaches, and our ability to

win this game. North Texas 31, K-S 24.

OK Charlie NT73 I'm totally pumped after reading this!! I am all for your opinion flushing out buddy!!!! Even if it's coolaid you have made some good points!