Baylor

Houston

North Texas

Rice

Tulane

Louisiana Tech

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/aug/...old-conference/

So lets see....a step down for New Mexico, TCU, & Baylor. These makeshift conference realignments make me laugh...mainly because they will never happen.

Guest GrayEagleOne

So lets see....a step down for New Mexico, TCU, & Baylor. These makeshift conference realignments make me laugh...mainly because they will never happen.

I can't say you're wrong UNLESS there is a playoff system. If that happens and things remain unchanged only TCU would have a glimmer of hope. And, if the MWC decided to also become a 12-team conference the most-likely candidates would be Boise State, Fresno State (both of which are near TCU's power rating) and probably Nevada. That would mean that TCU would be out of the playoff picture most of the time whereas they would be the highest rated team in his proposed conference. Or, if the Pac 10 should raid the MWC, TCU would be in a league that would be no stronger without the benefit of travel savings.

Baylor would be the hardest sell but the reporter's right, they will never be a factor against Texas, Tech, A&M, Oklahoma and Nebraska. They are well paid but money loses its satisfaction when you can't win.

I know that I will never see this alignment (or one similar) in my lifetime but it does not make me laugh. If I could, it would make me cry because in the long run it would likely be better for all concerned but pride and ego get in the way.

P.S. I'd take Southern Miss in the place of any one team that wants to stay put.

I love this line:

"Pushing Baylor out of the Big 12 would be like pushing Rosie O'Donnell out of a Krispy Kreme."

This realignment is just C-USA West and a complete revamping of C-USA East. While I like it, I think we need to show C-USA that we can be an asset to the conference. We need to have good attendance for the Tulsa game and travel well to the Rice game. I hope someone is working to get the Houston chapter of the NTExes to come out to the game.

Edited by UNTflyer

Guest GrayEagleOne

Even though this particular realignment is unlikely, Flyer is right on when he says that we must strive for the best attendance that we possibly can. If we are ever to be a candidate in any realignment then we must prove our worth. There is little that we can do as far as the team on the field or marketing but we can support the team every chance we get. That's especially true for home games or games against any on that list.

The amount of financial support that you give is important but even moreso is your attendance. If we could sell 10-15,000 season tickets (and show up) we can finance most things that we need with bonds. But, there must be continual support. Interest breeds more interest. As others see the support increasing they will get on the bandwagon. I have faith that Dodge & Co. will get it done; I wish that I had that much faith in the UNT students and alumni.

I'd rather be in the same division as TCU and SMU, but if this is what it would take to get a conference like that to happen, fine. You'd still have some rivalry games with TCU and SMU, though not every year, and you start building a rivalry with La Tech, Rice, Houston, and whoever takes Baylor's place. I'd certainly take Arkansas State. An Arkansas school would add a little bit more of an old SWC flavor.

One other thing that could help propel this: continuing high fuel prices making travel expenses prohibitive. In other words, don't drill here, don't drill now, renew the SWC.