A Really Great Season?

meangreenbob

Don't worry about the stadium fee. Even if the students shoot it down, SGA can pass it. As long as there are as many greedy people in as when the Athletics Fee passed, and offers of recommendations for grad/law school or jobs as with the last vote as well...the students' vote won't matter anyway.

Let's all bow our heads and remember Brandon Daniels' commitment to himself and to the admin, and thank him for showing future classes how easy it is to stand against those pesky student voters.

(And yes, I voted FOR the fee increase. But I'd never override a vote by those who elected me, no matter how poorly informed they were.)

I hope you're right...but if you're wrong, I'd rather have crappy Fouts for a little longer than see more students disillusioned at being screwed over. It's crap like that that keeps people from wanting long-term involvement with UNT.

If you plan to overturn the students if they vote the "wrong way" anyway, why bother with a student vote at all?

Sucks that I backed Brandon and made sure he fit the requirements so that he could be Pres. Of course that happened a couple of times. Look at the great job my old buddy McClendon did...

<snip>

... why bother with a student vote at all?

<snip>

As we've learned the University is obligated to conduct a student vote (unfortunately). Still seems odd to me for a variety of reasons. I remember my freshman year I was living in West hall and one of the first days there we all gathered in the foyer for a sort of orientation to college and dorm life with the RAs. They had us all stand in a bunch of concentric circles with the RAs in the middle. A specific part of the talk I remember was when one of the RAs told us all to take a good look at the person standing to our right and then take a good look at the person standing to our left. After doing that he told us that the chances were that two out of the three of us would not finish at North Texas. Of course being idealistic incoming freshman we were all like, no way, not me! Well, students leave, quit, drop out, transfer, etc. for many reasons. Why entust the future of the University to a whole group that may not even be there in a semester or two?

Keith

Edited by keith

As we've learned the University is obligated to conduct a student vote (unfortunately).

Actually, they aren't, depending on what's at stake. BD let his execs know far in advace that if the students didn't accept the increase, SGA would vote on it anyway, and he was appointing pro-fee people to empty seats to ensure that. Since they'd decided to do it in-house if the students didn't approve, the only reasonable excuse for holding a student vote was to seem like they were still "for the people". It backfired, because they showed the students that their vote didn't matter, which is why 19 of 21 (I think that's the stat) of student senators voting for the increase were ousted from their seats.

For more information on student fees, read section 54 of the state education code. Very useful in knowing your rights as a student...as well as determining if you're being screwed over by your elected student government, which can actually wield some power in certain situations...that is, if they don't accept the bribe of grad/law school or a job whenever offered in exchange for doing whatever the admin tells them to.

Edited by JesseMartin

I'm confused. Did we bring TD in to take 2 or 3 yrs to ramp up? I think NOT. If we want this to be a top notch program, we have to expect big things from our leaders. Do not give them excuses to say,"if we win 5 games, everybody will be happy"! I want Bowl Games, I want UNT press coverage, I want Thursday Night Football on ESPN. "Did we give in when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor"? No! let's not accept anything thing but 8 wins and push for 10!!!!!

Todd Dodge - We Want a Bowl Game THIS year!!!!!!!!!

Rick V. - We WANT a new Stadium by 2010....and want to see the plans before the end of this season!!!!!! If we want to be a BIT TIME PROGRAM, alumni have to demand BIG things!!!!!

I didn't spend 10yrs of my life getting an undergrad and MBA from this school to expect anything less. (I'm somewhat of an academic under-achiever)

Guest GrayEagleOne

Then prepare yourself for a good season. I think the one that I'm least likely to see is the average of 24,000. Tulsa and Troy might reach that figure but I doubt that the other home games will.