North Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I know I am fearful of a terrorist attack on a small school like this one. I say that because smaller schools usually do not have as much security personnel, and are usually farther away from law enforcement centers that could provide help. It would still accomplish what a terrorist would want, to shock and sadden our country by attacking our children. I am not saying what Harrold is doing is the answer to that concern, but it is a fear of mine along with a school bus hijacking.

Texas...quickly gaining ground on Alabama as America's punchline.

Yes, if only somehow we could convince America that it's true.

The Southwest pocket that includes Texas, Colorado and New Mexico also was a popular destination in 2007. All three states were classified as inbound, with Texas welcoming the highest number of new residents in the nation to be transported by Atlas.

Rick

I'm 50/50 on this as a precedent for other districts. On one hand, you have someone that can now take action against serious threats on campus that even in a bigger, more funded district, may take more time to respond to. And even when they do respond, they may follow Columbine PD's lead and just "contain" the situation by sealing doors off for far too long. If anything, this teacher can possibly defend his or her class from harm.

On the other hand, this sort of thing probably demands serious screening to determine who or who doesn't get to carry their weapon to campus, as well as deep training on both crisis management, resolution, and of course firearm safety and marksmanship. I'd hate for someone to slip past the system and end up becoming the threat this whole concept is made to mitigate.