How Is This Even Possible? Not The Best Day For Unt

* * * DISCLAIMER * * *

Although I am an Aggie, I support UNT athletics (live in the area, have good friends that are Mean Green, etc). Please don't flame me for asking a legitimate question.

* * * END OF DISCLAIMER * * *

I thought this may have been posted earlier, but have not seen it

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...da.27265a9.html

North Texas received no points in the Directors' Cup standings

Full report here:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/...alstandings.pdf

Seriously, not a single point? The Directors Cup standings are flawed no doubt, but it is hard not to get a point. Columbia finished 78th in Mens Golf and got 5 points for doing so. It means not a single point was earned in track and field by any athlete - male or female, indoor or outdoor. It means you did not make a single NCAA tournament.

You can look at the list and see all 279 institutions that received at least a point.

Does this mean that UNT atletics are in a state of peril? No. But it does require some 'splaining.

As a UNT fan (and I am one) what is being done to assure me that we are moving in the right direction?

Intelligent discussion only please.

I think this reflects how NT is floundering in the 'non revenue' sports area. Many of the schools got their points in tennis, golf, etc. We just were not successful in any sport in 2007-08. Sometime the truth hurts.

* * * DISCLAIMER * * *

Although I am an Aggie, I support UNT athletics (live in the area, have good friends that are Mean Green, etc). Please don't flame me for asking a legitimate question.

* * * END OF DISCLAIMER * * *

I thought this may have been posted earlier, but have not seen it

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...da.27265a9.html

Full report here:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/...alstandings.pdf

Seriously, not a single point? The Directors Cup standings are flawed no doubt, but it is hard not to get a point. Columbia finished 78th in Mens Golf and got 5 points for doing so. It means not a single point was earned in track and field by any athlete - male or female, indoor or outdoor. It means you did not make a single NCAA tournament.

You can look at the list and see all 279 institutions that received at least a point.

Does this mean that UNT atletics are in a state of peril? No. But it does require some 'splaining.

As a UNT fan (and I am one) what is being done to assure me that we are moving in the right direction?

Intelligent discussion only please.

You could try and contact RV for his opinion but all you might get is Fouts Field on a warm Summer Night == *chirp* *chirp*

Guest GrayEagleOne

Why isn't soccer included in the Director's Cup? That will usually be our best minor sport. I am hopefule that next year we can pick up a few points for women's tennis. Since we don't play baseball (that's minor and soccer's not?), lacrosse, or men's tennis we will not be a major player in these standings.

We did have two participants at the national track & field meet, but they didn't earn points. We will seldom, if ever, get points in softball, volleyball, or men's/women's golf (in spite of four national titles). It's extremely difficult to earn points in track & field but that could be our best chance, other than tennis.

Who cares? Minor sports are only marginally supported at the majority of NCAA schools. Do you think having no points in the Directors' Cup is more damaging then a hapless 2-10 football team. Judging by the number of posts, I am among the few who takes any interest in so called non-revenue sports. Are a few points on the national scene all that important? However, if you are really concerned about NT's overall sports program then look at the Belt statistics. NT almost annually finishes third behind WKU and MTSU.

This was an off year for NT, not winning a Belt championship in anything which is very disappointing. However, NT still managed a third place finish in the Burba standings. There was great improvement in tennis and swimming and to a lesser degree Softball. The volleyball team had a disappointing year and Golf continues to be mediocre at best. The track teams continue to IMO under perform although they finish near the top.

The answer to upgrading rankings in "all sports" competition is simple. You have to take the lesser sports as seriously as basketball and football and demand results and provide at least adequate resources to compete. I think NT has actually upgraded their most needy sports, but still has too many coaches who tend to coast and threat their jobs as part time. Yes, some are paid like they are part time jobs and that should change. NT has an enormous advantage in the sports that have very limited ships and allow partial ships such as swimming, track, soccer, and softball. There are a great number of athletes in this area who it is advantageous to go to a state supported local university to reduce costs when only receiving partial scholarships.

Why isn't soccer included in the Director's Cup? That will usually be our best minor sport. I am hopefule that next year we can pick up a few points for women's tennis. Since we don't play baseball (that's minor and soccer's not?), lacrosse, or men's tennis we will not be a major player in these standings.

We did have two participants at the national track & field meet, but they didn't earn points. We will seldom, if ever, get points in softball, volleyball, or men's/women's golf (in spite of four national titles). It's extremely difficult to earn points in track & field but that could be our best chance, other than tennis.

Soccer is included. Bowling is included. Archery is included. Mens gymnastics is included. Everything is included.

The link I posted only showed the final spring sports. Previous versions included WInter and Fall sports.

And I do think getting ZERO points is not a good reflection. I think non rev sports are important. A&M historically inored, and now our AD really is aggressive on them, which I respect. Why aim to be average or below average?

Having NT and PV ranked together at the bottom of anything is reason enough to fire someone. <_<

They didn't get on the cover of diversity magazine though.

Total facial!

Is it a little discouraging that we didn't earn any points in this? I guess. None of our sports are at the bottom of our conference that I know of. Soccer has 3 recent conference titles and Men's BB had a trip to the dance a couple years ago. Tennis and softball had their best years this year. The swimming coach is Coach of the Year in the Belt. Soccer was runner-up in the conference (8 straight years in the final). Women's BB has an exciting new coach that has already impacted recruiting. Cross country and track and field had some respectable showings this year, including 2 athletes in the NCAAs. And no one gives a damn about golf.

Let's win some football games, increase our donations, build a stadium, recruit even more competitively, win some more games, increase our donations, and then worry about where we place in a national all-sports competition that we have absolutley no chance of finishing higher than 50 or so. (Denver is at 47)

Now if we could only get them to count our cheerleading team in the rankings...

You can bake it all up in one giant sugar cookie and wrap it up in a massive Silver-lined bouquet and non of it would erase the negative perception already fallen upon NT by those who read this in the Dallas Morning News. Will it make someone NOT buy season tickets or NOT donate later on down the road? Probably not. But it's just one more negative building block people will put up there whenever the Mean Green is mentioned in talking circles of college sports fans and there's no reason for it to continue when there is an easy solution to it.

FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick