Cfn: North Texas Preview

jperg2

Key player to a successful season: Sophomore DEs Sam Owusu-Hemeng & Marquis Sykes. With the team's best pass rushing option, Eddrick Taylor, out of the mix with off-the-field issues, the coaching staff needs a pair of linebackers to turn into instant stars on the outside. Others, like Kyle Russo and Ryan Davenport,

I'm assuming they mean Eddrick Gilmore. This would be huge loss if true, there was a poster who had mentioned this way earlier this year. Just wondering how Vito or no other local writer/paper would have gotten this sooner. I'm sure Vito will have a blog up by about noon to give us some insight.

Found this latter on in the article:

Hoping to be back in the mix at some point is 6-5, 240-pound junior Eddrick Gilmore, one of the team's most productive linemen last year, after missing all of 2006 with academic problems, making 35 tackles, 1.5 sacks and six tackles for loss with five broken up passes in nine games. He left the team for personal reasons and isn't being counted on for the season. Even so, there's hope

Edited by H-towngreen

pretty nice and fair article.

Who is Eddrick Taylor? Are they thinking of Gilmore?? (HTown beat me to the punch)

Also surprised no mention of the new DL hosses coming in.

Not bad and hope we can get the 6 wins.

Edited by untbowler

I like the optimism, but still not so sure why all the publications are so quick to put Riley Dodge in the saddle? Yes, he is a huge talent... be we already have a huge talent at QB? I honestly think Riley would need to have a phenominal few weeks, and the God-Father would have to completely melt-down before a change like that would happen. Possible, but not likely... I am also wonderring where the info on Gilmore is coming from? As of Spring Ball, he was doing well and dominating from the DE spot? Otherwise some good write ups. I would like to see Jacob Kaiser start at left tackle, (291lbs seems more protective than the 235lb guy they show starting?) Fall ball is not that far away now. I hope TD continues to let us go to practices as he did in the spring. Should be interesting with DeLoach coaching the defense again.

GMG!!!

If this is true then, yes, start the frosh. Short of it, though, why does this "QB controversy" keep getting mileage?

Because the meatheads that write this stuff don't take the time to research schools beyond the "Big 6" conferences.

I like the optimism, but still not so sure why all the publications are so quick to put Riley Dodge in the saddle? Yes, he is a huge talent... be we already have a huge talent at QB? I honestly think Riley would need to have a phenominal few weeks, and the God-Father would have to completely melt-down before a change like that would happen. Possible, but not likely... I am also wonderring where the info on Gilmore is coming from? As of Spring Ball, he was doing well and dominating from the DE spot? Otherwise some good write ups. I would like to see Jacob Kaiser start at left tackle, (291lbs seems more protective than the 235lb guy they show starting?) Fall ball is not that far away now. I hope TD continues to let us go to practices as he did in the spring. Should be interesting with DeLoach coaching the defense again.

GMG!!!

2 things are clear from this article. The author has a huge man crush on Riley and Greg Garden. I can see Rodge come in a tear it up, but I don't think it is too likely. Especially with his newly repaired shoulder. And as for Garden, I don't know enough about him, but we have some pretty good JUCO's coming in to compete for the DB spots. And lets not forget about Kartay Agbottah.

And don't worry there is no way we go into the season with a 235lb starting tackle. That was just for the spring due to all the injuries. One of the Jucos will for sure secure that spot.

There was also no talk of Alonzo Horton. Who I belive will be the biggest addition to the team. All Conference caliber, paired hopefully with Gilmore. That would take a lot of pressure off everyone else. A little less time that DBs have to cover, help for the LBs, and maybe a few double teams to help clear room for the DTs.

One person that I have been excited about for a while is Draylen Ross. I think that he will end up being a beast in the middle. With his quickness, and size I think he may crack the starting lineup this year. Thoughts???

Edited by H-towngreen

If this is true then, yes, start the frosh. Short of it, though, why does this "QB controversy" keep getting mileage?

I think it keeps getting mileage because Vizza and Rodge are such strong QB prospects. If you agree that a coach must do what is best for the team, you're going to be hard pressed to chose between A, a gutsy leader on the field who set NCAA freshman throwing records, and B, a young gun all-Texas talent who literally grew up in the offense.

My heart is with Vizza, and will be until he shows me otherwise. He is a truly inspiring figure out there on the field, and I will be honestly pulling for him. But it is not very often you get a guy who knows every read in his sleep, can make every throw required, and has the athleticism to match both. I certainly couldn't choose between them, and I don't envy Coach Dodge for having to make that call.

The only thing this argument assumes is that Riley Dodge comes in here and can play the system like a virtuoso. And it is worth pointing out that he might not. He COULD come in and look like the next best guy out there. But how many truly believe that will be the case?

I have read several "Pre Season Reviews" that read very simular to each other,

with the same reports on offense, defense, and players. As mention above, these

pre season review writers do not complete much research. Riley Dodge is famous

so these writers know of him, but the writers do no know Giovanni Vizza. I do believe

Coach Dodge will redshirt Riley for 2008. I think redshirting Riley is the smart move

to make. ( A extra year of development on our OL will make a huge differnce when

Riley can play )

Eddie Gilmore- the writer got his name wrong, so how does he know Gilmore is out?

Looked like during spring ball Gilmore was having a good spring, both in FB and classes.

I see the team developing faster that NT fans expect, both on offense and defense. There

are too many players to name, that will be the difference makers on offense and defense.

To me, the pre season previews are just interesting reading, nothing more.

No mention of the best signing of the year...........no not Riley, but a true college defensive coordinator.

Riley's shoulder is fine. He is out there everyday throwing routes and will be ready to go for the Texas High School All Star game. He is ready to play and compete. It WILL NOT be his shoulder or size that keeps him from being on the field NOW. If he is the man, he'll get the green light. The question is "if Riley is the best, will Papa Dodge put him behind the unproven OL (who got Meager and our previous freshman killed?) I seriously doubt Riley would have lasted long last season with the beating our QB's took, imo.

You have to remember that Riley had 3 or 4 D-1 recruits on the offensive line to protect him for two straight seasons. He has never been physically beaten up before, for a whole season. Riley has never faced superior competition across the board. SLC totally dominated for years except for one game or two.

I am a believer that Dodge will put his very best QB (as he calls it "he'll put his best on the bus" and ready for action). Make no mistake, if Riley is the best, he will play and should play. No shoulder or size or age excuses please, the best will play and the time is now to win. TD, if your son is the man, let's ride him home and see him play. I would have loved to have seen Riley play the same role as Vizza last season to see what the difference would have been? I have my thoughts but will refrain from the boredom.

Stop by after work and watch the players throw and play 7 on 7 on Tuesday and Wednesday at Fouts. After really watching closely, get on the board and tell us what you see out of the QB's. You might back off a little bit and call Riley the best QB recruit ever or maybe not. You might back off from your statement that Riley can make all the throws and knows the system better than the rest OR you'll realize that he is truly a gift from the Mean Green gods. Make your call.

Whatever the case, it's a tough position for Meager and Vizza. If that Scout article is correct, then it is a no brainer to play Riley if he is better, more athletic, and gifted than one Chase Daniel. Hell, that is one bold statement that has me scratching my head for a kid who was not recruited by any major conference to play QB.

All the best to Daniel, Giovanni, and Riley. May the best leader and player represent the Green Nation, with no excuses because their are none to give.

If Todd truly believes Rodge is the man, he should let him play against the big boys, take college hits and prepare him for conference play.

Edited by nautique

I don't know how this got missed on the offense preview...

the quarterback situation is hardly settled, junior Daniel Meager appears to have a handle on the starting job coming out of spring ball. He hasn't exactly had a sterling career completing 154 of 302 passes for 1,458 yards and eight touchdowns with 14 interceptions, but he's not bad on his short to midrange throws and has decent mobility. The starter over the final six games last year, he's been the most consistent passer so far in the new era. While the coaching staff hasn't given Meager the starting job quite yet, it'll take a major effort to knock him out.

maybe he was borrowing from last years preview and forgot to change the names and stats...

Guess I stand corrected???? Apparently they are more "in the know" about the academic status of our players than some media guys here? CFN knew about this days before Brett Vito. I dont know how they found out so fast, but I guess I will have to trust them completely from now on. So, since they are right on about Gilmore, maybe they also know something we dont about the starting QB for the 08 season? looks like we are going with Riley Dodge? I wish they would publish who is going to win the coin toss in Manhattan? I could place a healthy bet on that one next trip to Shreveport...

Sorry for the sarcasm, just ticked off about Gilmore.

GMG!!!