New 3 Point Line

CMJ

I'm sure many people haven't heard(or forgotten) but the 3 point line will be moving back next year from 19'9 to 20'9 for the Men(unfortunately not for the Ladies....so we're gonna have to get used to two 3 point arcs - ugly).

How does everyone see this affecting the game?

Obviously pure shooters won't be troubled much, but I think alot of guys who are more comfortable with shots from 17 ft or so will be less inclined to just jack up 3's. It should improve mid range games I'd imagine.

Probably also help our college kids when they play international ball(International 3 line is 20'6).

That's an interesting move. I remember how it changed the game when they moved the 3-point line in in the NBA--it made 3-point shooters a much less exclusive club than it was beforehand. So I imagine the opposite will happen in the NCAA--there will probably be fewer shooters who have a green light to shoot 3's whenever they have an open look.

The one whip I see in college basketball and players jacking up SOOO man ill advised three's. It just makes the game more sloppy to me in my opinion. If its going to possibly help players be more selective when shooting a three then I am all for it. By the way, how far is the NBA 3 point line?

NBA 3-point line is 23 feet 9 inches

Add the trapazoidal lane and the game will be perfect.

The only thing i don't like about moving the line is no longer can you use the expression "from the 19'9"" and I dont think "from the 20'9"" will sound too good

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I'm sure many people haven't heard(or forgotten) but the 3 point line will be moving back next year from 19'9 to 20'9 for the Men(unfortunately not for the Ladies....so we're gonna have to get used to two 3 point arcs - ugly).

Why aren't the lines moving for women too? I thought athletics today was all about Gender Equity? Perhaps we should lower the basket height for them too so they can dunk more often??*

*end of rant! :P

Edited by NT80

They have less time on the shot clock than the Men do NT80. So I guess folks figure it takes longer for guys to think.

;)

At least they play 5-on-5. I remember when many high schools here in Texas and the DFW area started girls teams in the 70's they played 6-on-6, 3 players per halfcourt and you couldn't cross over. It was very odd looking. I guess they thought the girls didn't have the endurance for full court basketball although in Iowa they always played full court and many times crowds at girls games (softball too) outnumbered boys games.

At least they play 5-on-5. I remember when many high schools here in Texas and the DFW area started girls teams in the 70's they played 6-on-6, 3 players per halfcourt and you couldn't cross over. It was very odd looking. I guess they thought the girls didn't have the endurance for full court basketball although in Iowa they always played full court and many times crowds at girls games (softball too) outnumbered boys games.

Actually Iowa was the next to last state to go to 5 on 5 basketball for girls high school and there was a real fight to keep it. The argument was that it was killing the chances of the girls to get college scholarships. I know a couple college coaches loved recruiting up there because you got players who would run plays to perfection and were real scorers, they just had to learn defense and dribbling (you could only dribble twice before shooting or passing).

It was a very tactical game, you couldn't get a fast break so it required a lot of motion a crisp passing to get a good shot. I enjoyed the heck out of the games because the strategy was so different.

Actually Iowa was the next to last state to go to 5 on 5 basketball for girls high school and there was a real fight to keep it. The argument was that it was killing the chances of the girls to get college scholarships. I know a couple college coaches loved recruiting up there because you got players who would run plays to perfection and were real scorers, they just had to learn defense and dribbling (you could only dribble twice before shooting or passing).

It was a very tactical game, you couldn't get a fast break so it required a lot of motion a crisp passing to get a good shot. I enjoyed the heck out of the games because the strategy was so different.

There are some old-timers in the state of TN who have never gotten over the change to five on five for girls. TN was right there with the state of Iowa in resisting progress, IIRC, with the old game. I think Pat Summitt was critical in getting the game changed in the state and I've heard a few express grudges about that.

Edited by Spaceraider

Texas changed women's high school basketball to the current 5 player game in 1979. There were no limits on dribbing in the six player game in Texas, but it was played almost exclusively by smaller classification high schools until the 1970's. Actually the game was very fast, with in effect the players playing only half the time. Some women's colleges in the 1960 to 1970's played a hybrid game were two players remained on each side of the court and two players played the full court.

As I remember, Duncanville was the only school in the top two classifications that had a girls BB team.

Stalling was a plague on the 6-girl basketball game. With only 3 stallers and 3 defenders it was next to impossible for the defense to take the ball away. To make matters worse there were no rules against holding the ball while closely guarded and one player was allowed to dribble endlessly without making progress towards the basket.

IMO 6-girl BB was not the good old days. It could be very boring.